Rock Music

Boombastic

...or is rap taking over.

I hate rap. I love rock. So, for those who like rock, discuss.

No, I'm not going to the metal topic, I hate metal.

Quadropheniac90

I like classic (60's, 70's, 80's, some 90's) rock for the biggest part. Some modern sh*t is OK like Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Tenacious D., some others.

I don't like rap at all, nor do I like anything else really from these days. For the biggest part, pop nowadays is all the same, so is hiphop, electronic music. Call me a whiner, but they just don't make good music like they did 50/40/30 years ago.

Yeah, it seems rap is taking over, but I noticed a pretty big percentage of people who like modern music also enjoy oldies and rock music, more or less than the modern crap.

user posted image

Quadropheniac90

Nothing better than bands like the Floyd, The Who, Eagles, etc.

user posted image

Nothing better than bands like the Floyd, The Who, Eagles, etc.

Agreed, I love The Who one of my favorite bands, although i like The Doors more.

Quadropheniac90

I don't really like The Doors, I mean the Floyd is weird, but The Doors is a kind of weird I don't really like, hehe.

user posted image

Anyone who thinks rock is dying and rap is taking over is watching way too many MTV. And, to put it bluntly, the old fashioned way, who watches MTV has no valid opinion on rock whatsoever.

ZMHer.png

TcLvb.pngGyRHV.png

Every type of music is good in it's own way. Seriously, why does it seem that pretty much every post I see from any of you contain some presumptuous insult towards Rap or Hip-Hop, it's f*cking obnoxious.

And on the topic of rock the only thing I can say is that Rush is the greatest band ever, and anyone who disagrees can go to hell.

tony da boss

I listen to a lot of classic, Hendrix, Bad Company, Boston, Floyd, and too many to name. The only bands I can think of from the last 20 years I listen to are Sublime (mostly), RATM, Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, AIC, AC/DC, and the Chili Peppers. I'm not a big fan of metal though, although I do listen to a lot of rap.

Edited by TDP992

And on the topic of rock the only thing I can say is that Rush is the greatest band ever, and anyone who disagrees can go to hell.

God damnit...

Who gives a sh*t really? As long as you like the music does it really matter if its being "taken over"?

Rush is god-like though.

Edited by Scarface187
user posted image

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus

New rock can't hold a candle the rock music of old.

I think traditional rock music is dead. To answer your question, I like some newer indie rock bands--like Radiohead, for instance--mainly because they are more innovative, untraditional, and have unique sound. I also follow some art rock and post-punk bands.

Also, rap had its heyday in the 80s and early 90s. Electronica's where it's at now, right? confused.gif

Edited by Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus

BRUTUS WUZ HERE. LOLZ.

(Heroic reference. Not related to GTAF member by same name, g'dammit.)

Not dead I don't think but not as put on the radio as much as catchy songs with no real meaning get first place. (Same could be said for why some good rappers/groups don't get radio-time).

PBM SeaNorris

just another thug

So much ignorance in this topic.

I don't even want to touch this... but know that what is good and bad is subjective.

user posted image

Quadropheniac90

@The-King: I know you're probably joking, but still that comment on Rush was just plain hypocrite.

I'm not insulting rap either, I mean to each his own, it's just I don't like (most of)it. There are some songs I liked but mainly the lack of instruments I love makes me not listen to it. I think most of the rap put on radio today is the crap that MTV shows all the time.

I do know enough people liking it and at times I can see where they're coming from, and I won't go around insulting other people's taste of music.

@NCCA: I think tradition rock music is dead in a way that it isn't being made anymore, but it's not dead in a way that many people still listen to it.

user posted image

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus

@NCCA: I think tradition rock music is dead in a way that it isn't being made anymore, but it's not dead in a way that many people still listen to it.

I don't think it's as creative or inspired as it used to be. It's like they're afraid to take risks. They all sound the same, you know?

To clarify, by "traditional rock music," I meant 'rock that borrows heavily from past generations, doesn't put anything new on the table, and is so over-commercialized that it has no deep meaning.' (See: "loose example" below) When I said "dead," I meant 'not doing anything important.' This comment was not meant to make you angry or offended, so if you disagree, just recommend a new, traditional rock song that's creative, innovative, and culturally relevant to our times, and I promise to give it a listen. biggrin.gif

A loose example of the un-creativeness of today's "traditional" rock music: (Remember, traditional means "derivative" in this case.)

Past:

Today:

This also applies to bands like Dragonforce and Atryeu, which are apparently the greatest rock/metal bands of our time. tounge.gif

(The music scene in Texas might have misled me. Please remember that this is only my opinion.)

Edited by Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus

BRUTUS WUZ HERE. LOLZ.

(Heroic reference. Not related to GTAF member by same name, g'dammit.)

I would not count Mindless Self Indulgence as rock, I would personally not class it as music at all.

Anyway, all this Rap vs Rock sh*t is stupid. Not all rap is like, Usher. There is some great rap songs out there. Just because all the stuff in the mainstream sucks total balls doesn't mean that the whole genre is crap. Its like saying rock is crap because you don't like Red Hot Chilli Peppers or something.

U8p4GiO.png

2ZqLHCC.png

Its like saying rock is crap because you don't like Red Hot Chilli Peppers or something.

Yeah, but you have to be a f*cking moron to say that. biggrin.gif

There is good rock out there. The majority is sh*t. But unlike the 60's and 70's, the sh*t is in the limelight, and the good stuff is playing second fiddle.

...or is rap taking over.

I hate rap. I love rock. So, for those who like rock, discuss.

No, I'm not going to the metal topic, I hate metal.

I think rap is taking over, I do like rap, but I love rock way more. Theres no rock played on the radio up here where I live. Its always either rap or R&B. And I hate metal too, so we should keep it in this topic, this topic is about a totally different subject.

New account, WhittyC

i don't like rock....but i know some rock musician,limp bizkit and linkin park;....becasue they is rap&rock musician haha;.

and i know famous rock musician from korea. his name is seotaiji.

he is compare with Michael Jackson in korea.. becasue he was maked the present k-pop. haha;..

but i love hiphop music..so i like rap..but i can't rap...;;.. dontgetit.gif

1.feel the soul

]

2.internet war

]

3.fight to school.

]

Rap is really just crap. The only thing they care about is money and hoes and not what the f*ck they are saying. I listen to classic rock and modern rock. I like them both.

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

Rap is really just crap. The only thing they care about is money and hoes and not what the f*ck they are saying. I listen to classic rock and modern rock. I like them both.

You know, I'm absolutely certain if you just give rap a chance and listen to some of it, you will find something you like. You just have to stop being so close-minded towards it.

Same goes with any musical genre, or any different kind of taste in general, for that matter.

lol rap is crap

user posted image

unban asmo.

I'm just waiting for the pre-requisite indie asshole to come by and tell you to listen to a band that 3 people know of, or someone to recommend Generic Black Metal Act #535.

EDIT: Indy is a dude.

Edited by TheDude5000
user posted image

DarthTemplar

Rap is being critiscised as a type of music that takes almost no practice to do. All you need is some synthesised music and have some really bad rhymes. Rock has been around for almost 70 years and has survived against some of the worst things. Like rap trying to take over. But Rock has been around for way longer then Rap and will outlast it.

I totally agree with what your saying. I listen to almost any type of rock (Especially Blues, Soul, classic and Modern) but currently I am listening to Metal. Since Metal is one of those genre's of music that will get you into an energetic mood. Like how Tenacious D does.

I love how Guitar Hero has metal in it. The reason Guitar Hero is so popular now is because of a few reasons

1. HEAVY METAL IN A VIDEO GAME WITH YOU ACTUALLY PLAYING IT

2. Multi player

3. Less practice then an actual guitar

Congratulations sir, you master of the satire. You've successfully demonstrated a perfect, close-minded opinion (or lack thereof) of a 13 year old living in the suburbs. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Man, I hate rock. I can't stand it. It's all about four middle-aged dudes playing the same three blues riffs with some overdrive and distortion, the same 4/4 beat with an extra crash symbol here or there, and some drunk yelling over top of all that noise. And plus, if you can even hear the bass, it's some boring static bassline that goes along with the rhythm guitar. All they sing about is women and getting drunk, and sometimes motorcycles and the devil. Rock sucks a lot.

See what happens when you take a handful of musicians, being the only ones you've probably every heard, and assumed that their sound is the industry's standard? (Can you guess which band I'm referencing?)

4XEtraA.jpg

See what happens when you take a handful of musicians, being the only ones you've probably every heard, and assumed that their sound is the industry's standard? (Can you guess which band I'm referencing?)

What is Motley Crue!

Either that or AC/DC only you'd have to change the number of guys to 5.

I love how Guitar Hero has metal in it. The reason Guitar Hero is so popular now is because of a few reasons

The real reasons are because people who can beat songs on expert level all of a sudden think they are the sh*t like they can really play guitar. I also hate how people say they love a band because one of their songs was in Guitar Hero basically. (I'm looking at you, YYZ)

user posted image

Statutory Ray

Rap is being critiscised as a type of music that takes almost no practice to do.

As a person with experience producing both hip-hop and rock music, I will tell you it's no harder to make a good rock song than it is to make a good hip-hop beat. Of course technical proficiency is a factor, but how often is it used as a measurement for how good music is (just look at Nirvana)? I'd even go as far as saying as making a good rap is harder than making up lyrics to a rock song. That's not to say anything on the radio or MTV produced by either genre is good, but the average talented rapper is more of a word smith than the average rock band front man.

Quadropheniac90

@The-King:

Every type of music is good in it's own way. Seriously, why does it seem that pretty much every post I see from any of you contain some presumptuous insult towards Rap or Hip-Hop, it's f*cking obnoxious.

Then stating Rush is the best and everybody who thinks otherwise is stoopid and should go to hell, is kind of insulting...

Wait, you actually weren't being hypocrite. Lol. Well f*ck me, I am drunk as a bitch and I think clearer now then when posting the other post being sober.

About people not taking risks in rock music anymore. That's true I M O. It all sounds the f*cken same. I like minutes of guitar solos like in Comfortably Numb (Pulse 1994 being the best IMO) and most of the rock songs featuring guitar have too repeated guitar sections which get boring fast.

@Statutory Ray: Well I think the whole music surrounding rap lyrics take the lyrics down. And of course many rap songs heard today (50 Cent and stuff which is overplayed and doesn't represent (the total what is it... spectrum of) rap at all but makes naïve not-hiphop-liking people like me think it is. Rock music however in my opinion has very often very good lyrics and when it doesn't it often makes up with that with the music supporting those lyrics. Golden Earring for example, when you look at some of their lines it just not really making any sense, but the music's pretty good.

About Guitar Hero, I thought it'd be supercool... But for 100 euros it isn't cool, relatively. If the game had been 60 euros I'd enjoyed it more. I'm using my money, including that from my birthday which I had today, to buy a real electric guitar and take lessons. I can imagine playing real guitar and learning it would have 1000 times the kick playing a Guitar Hero song on Expert has.

I can listen to songs without any lyrics. I'm an instrument liker... yay... especially guitars n bass guitars and drums... Piano is nice aswell..

Im gonna drag my drunken ass to bed, cya guys.

user posted image

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.