Question Re: Ping/Latency

spyro_ie

I was browsing the interweb yesterday on my terrible wireless broadband when I decided to try Counter-Strike on the off chance that my ping wouldn't be over 200. (Normally I can't get to play due to the high latency).

So I found a server, and lo and behold, my ping was 28! I couldn't believe it. So I was playing for a good while with no noticable lag spikes. I thought to myself "Awesome! My broadband must have improved somehow." So then I try Day of Defeat. Same thing, latency under 30!

However, after about 3 hours playing time, my computer, being the pain in the ass it is, crashed. So I restarted and loaded up Day of Defeat again.

However this time my latency was back to its usual >200! I have no idea what caused this, and it's been like that since.

Is it dependant on wheter you log on when the connection isn't being used by many people (I share a connection in an apartment block), or is there something I may have done to have caused this. Any advice on how to improve my latency, which, bear in mind, can achieve 28ms ping, so I can't see why I couldn't get it again.

It's a mystery waiting to be solved...

(I share a connection in an apartment block)

They may have been busy downloading from torrents...

Whenever I'm downloading torrents it usually cuts my internet speed down a lot, by almost half. It kills my little brothers ping on CS, it's usually around 200 as well.When it's not downloading torrents, it's around 50 I would say.

You could hve a program running that's accessing your internet, maybe check what programs are running.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

By saying torrent, they mean upload.

You know, FPS games don't use too much of your bandwidth. Do this test, send a rather big file (so you know it will be uploading for some time) to someone and go play. Your ping will be a disgrace. Now tell someone to send a big file. No big changes to your ping.

I can listen to internet radio (uses half of my download bandwidth), and there will be no lags while I'm playing.

Really, this is what I observed through all those years I spent playing FPS games (and still do, btw).

I tried playing CS again last night and the ping was still pretty bad, around 120.

I don't usually upload anything so I have no idea what could be causing it. Is it possible that some spyware or virus could be causing this?

I tried playing CS again last night and the ping was still pretty bad, around 120.

I don't usually upload anything so I have no idea what could be causing it. Is it possible that some spyware or virus could be causing this?

Well, since you said you share the internet connection, maybe someone else was uploading something.

Is it possible that some spyware or virus could be causing this?

It could be possible, certain adware programs are able to download additional adware once it has settled on a computer. They keep on and on downloading viruses and useless junk. If you have any anti-spyware program, you should run a check on your computer.

There are some CS servers that allow players with ~200 ping to play, though.

Find out who else is using the connection, and what they're using it for. If it's a shared connection, they shouldn't be able or allowed to hog all the bandwidth with peer to peer traffic such as BitTorrent or Limewire. Also, download Spybot S&D and AdAware and give your computer a thorough scan.. Another thing if you know what programs should be accessing the internet from your PC is also to go to 'Start > Run > cmd > netstat' and see what's there - If you're unsure of things, close windows and see if they disappear, and do a bit of Googling.

glhf.

F4tISZ2.png

xY1j6rP.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.