Internet on Cell's and PDA's

Picolini

I may be in the market for a cell phone in the near future... thing is I'd really like to have internet access as well. I would pretty much have to get a 3G connection (my town is covered on pretty much every companies 3G area), and since it'd be 3G of course I'd want the web browser to be as close to a real one as possible.

So do you guys know of any cellphones with a true web browser, or which one has the closest thing? I would like a phone that is also has all PDA if possible, I'm not a small guy, I can handle a bigger "phone" if it has enough capabilities to make it worth it.

I was trying to do some of my own research on this, but I'm so late in the game, help from you guys would be great.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

DarthTemplar

Most cellphones today have their own internet to download ringtones and everything. So I think a PDA would be your best bet

Well most cell phones, including the iPhone (which I won't get because it's made by Apple, I'll just leave it at that), have a dumbed down internet browser. I'm sure it's still decent, but in the iPhone's case, if I'm spending $400+ on a phone, I'd want a true or damn close web browser.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

What do you mean? Like $30 every downloaded MB of data??

Anyways, I was looking around and it looks like HSPDA is the best wireless service, getting up to 14.4mbps. And AT&T is the only one who offers that, so they'd probably be who I'd go with... but, I'd need a phone that has a good browser of course.

Are you able to mix and match some phones and phone services? Or is it usually only phones they offer that work with their network?

I was looking at AT&T's phones, but I can't see what, if any, kind of browsers they're PDA's come with...

edit: Well after some more looking around it looks like Opera's Mini is the best mobile web broswer, and it works on the Cingular 8525, which is on the AT&T network. So I guess I solved my own problem here...

But what's this $30/mb you're talking about Otter??

I've never had a cell before, no clue how these plans work... gotta talk to all the youngsters at work about it I guess.

Edited by Picolini

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Rocketkiller

Data plans are massively expensive, just a warning. Yea $30 per megabyte sound normal, I think my non-data plan costs around 5c per 10 kilobytes with the regular 3G data protocol (EDGE I think) The faster ones will be even more expensive.

AT&T's service for their Blackberry says

"Rate Plan Details

Included Data Unlimited

Additional data $0/KB

Canadian Data $0.015/KB

International Data $0.02/KB"

What does that all mean? Is Canadian and international Data when you're out of the US? I would assume so, the only other thing I could think it means is accessing sites on line from other sites, but that doesn't make much sense.

They plan is the cheapest personal one, at $35.00/month. Which I don't think is that bad. But I'm guessing that doesn't include phone services, right? If I could get unlimited internet and add on the smallest phone service (I barely use the phone, obviously, as I don't even have a phone yet) for like 15-20, I don't think it'd be that bad. $50 or so would be worth it, imo.

edit: Ahh, looks like their minimum individual plan is friggin $40 per month... putting it at $75/month. And that's only 450 minutes/month, which isn't very much I would assume...

edit2: I see I can add the unlimited internet for an additional $30 on top of the $40... still $70, but somewhat better, I guess... still quite a damn bit.

Edited by Picolini

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.