Graphics Card Question

Gouveia

Hey guys. I want to upgrade my Graphics Card, but I really, really don't know what is the port of the mother board(PCI, PCI Express, etc.). Where can I see it? By the way, I use a Nvidia Geforce 440MX 128 MB. And also, what's the best graphic card that I could support with that same port? Thanks in advance biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure the slot for your video card is an AGP slot.

You can see if you take off the side of your case where it goes.

The best AGP video card would be something like this. But you probably will not need that high end of a card.

What are your other specs?

Wow, thought I would never see a 512MB for my motherboard...

Well, my PC is pretty bad:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz

XXXX DDR RAM( I don't have enough courage to show my RAM T_T)

Windows XP SP2

But thanks man biggrin.gif

Wow, thought I would never see a 512MB for my motherboard...

Well, my PC is pretty bad:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz

XXXX DDR RAM( I don't have enough courage to show my RAM T_T)

Windows XP SP2

But thanks man biggrin.gif

Maybe you should upgrade your 256MB RAM before starting on a new card. wink.gif

How do you know I have 256RAM? lol.gif

Yeah, I already shipped some new memory so I get 1.5GB RAM DDR

But hey, I want to run Battlefield sad.gif

Also, I started the topic because I can't find ANY new AGP cards on Brazil, maybe I'll need to ship'em from the USA...

How do you know I have 256RAM? lol.gif

Yeah, I already shipped some new memory so I get 1.5GB RAM DDR

But hey, I want to run Battlefield sad.gif

Also, I started the topic because I can't find ANY new AGP cards on Brazil, maybe I'll need to ship'em from the USA...

I'm a super geek. Those MX440s were shipped around the same time that 256MB RAM was standard.

That's how I know.

lol geek

Anyway, I remember when I could run any game at Maximum. Any game that came out. But then came Battlefield 2 and my PC didn't run it... Large, large depression...

But how the hell do I play SWAT4 on maximum? mercie_blink.gif

I wouldn't have thought a Geforce4 MX440 would've played anything at its time at maximum. It was always a budget card.

Maybe you should invest in a Geforce3 Ti500 wink.gif

Rocketkiller

I would go for an X1650 series AGP or maybe an X1950 PRO AGP. Your processor is pretty damn slow by today's standards so anything faster than an X1650 would probably be wasted.

And I have no idea how you played SWAT4 on max, even on my old computer with 512mb of RAM and an ATI 9600 PRO I could only do medium-high. Maybe it's because your card forced directx 7.

I would go for an X1650 series AGP or maybe an X1950 PRO AGP. Your processor is pretty damn slow by today's standards so anything faster than an X1650 would probably be wasted.

And I have no idea how you played SWAT4 on max, even on my old computer with 512mb of RAM and an ATI 9600 PRO I could only do medium-high. Maybe it's because your card forced directx 7.

Well, I know it's slow as hell... I just don't have money to buy a duo-core.... Need to study biggrin.gif

EDIT: DirectX 7? Hell no, 9 biggrin.gif

Rocketkiller

Well, I know it's slow as hell... I just don't have money to buy a duo-core.... Need to study biggrin.gif

EDIT: DirectX 7? Hell no, 9 biggrin.gif

No, actually it's 7. The MX440 only supported directx 7 in hardware, you can't run directx 9 code on it because it just won't work. Just because you have to install directx 9 to play the latest games doesn't mean that the architecture of the graphics chip magically changes to support it. Ever though why every new game looks so much better on modern card at the same settings? It's because the game forces directx 7 on your card, which is an old as hell standard.

The geforce 4 Ti supported directx 8.1 if I remember correctly, while the MX was pretty much a geforce 2 with the 2 crossed out and replaced with a 4. tounge.gif Same architecture, same RAM chips, same PCB, same everything.

Edited by Rocketkiller

Yeah, just noticed that. I went to play some SWAT 4 on my friend's PC, he got DX10, and everything was better in same settings... So it's like an override? I install DX9 just to override the software, but I'm using DX7 to render? f*ck...

@Rocket Killer: Now I'm thinking on changing the whole PC by your posts cry.gif

Yeah, just noticed that. I went to play some SWAT 4 on my friend's PC, he got DX10, and everything was better in same settings... So it's like an override? I install DX9 just to override the software, but I'm using DX7 to render? f*ck...

@Rocket Killer: Now I'm thinking on changing the whole PC by your posts cry.gif

A new computer shouldn't cost too much. I got the hell of a good computer and it costed less than R$2000. I didn't buy things like a monitor or periphericals though, just the case + parts.

Your GeForce card is wayy outdated, friend. That was the card I used before I got a newer computer with the gffx5200. It's not the best card in the world but it suited me well until I bought my ATI HD 2600 Pro wink.gif

It's PCIex, but it costed around R$300.

@Rocket Killer: Now I'm thinking on changing the whole PC by your posts  cry.gif

A new computer shouldn't cost too much. I got the hell of a good computer and it costed less than R$2000. I didn't buy things like a monitor or periphericals though, just the case + parts.

Your GeForce card is wayy outdated, friend. That was the card I used before I got a newer computer with the gffx5200. It's not the best card in the world but it suited me well until I bought my ATI HD 2600 Pro wink.gif

Yeah, just made some price search here, and I request this PC:

200GB HDD

Duo Core(Can't remember speed, but 3GHZ+)

Nvidia 7600 512MB

2GB RAM DDR2(I think)

All that for R$1200,00. It's about 600 dollars

Good deal or not?

@Rocket Killer: Now I'm thinking on changing the whole PC by your posts  cry.gif

Yeah, just made some price search here, and I request this PC:

200GB HDD

Duo Core(Can't remember speed, but 3GHZ+)

Nvidia 7600 512MB

2GB RAM DDR2(I think)

All that for R$1200,00. It's about 600 dollars

Good deal or not?

Good deal! See, you can have a good computer nowadays.

If you're willing to spend just a bit more money, trade that video card for one of the 8xxx series. 8500, 8600, or a cheap version of the 8800 ones. But still, the 7600 GT is a good card.

Please, say you aren't being serious... 8 series? Man, I already have a machine in my house that when it's on it sounds like a plane(360), I don't want another tounge.gif

Plus, it's 500 dollars.

Please, say you aren't being serious... 8 series? Man, I already have a machine in my house that when it's on it sounds like a plane(360), I don't want another tounge.gif

Plus, it's 500 dollars.

So? Just because it is a better video card, doesn't mean it's gonna be noisy. Most new computers aren't.

And I guess the 8600 was around the same price as my video card.

Thought so, because of that big-ass cooler in the card...

Anyway, that 360 still scares me sometimes lol.gif

Plus, it's 500 dollars.

So? Just because it is a better video card, doesn't mean it's gonna be noisy. Most new computers aren't.

And I guess the 8600 was around the same price as my video card.

Yeah, shouldn't be noisy, just because its an 8 series.

I would get an 8800 instead of an 8500 or 8600, even if its lower end.

Something like this is nice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130082

Thought so, because of that big-ass cooler in the card...

Anyway, that 360 still scares me sometimes lol.gif

The cheap versions of those cards don't come with the cool coolers/dissipators. The video card coolers are smaller than the one in your processor.

Rocketkiller

I don't know how much hardware costs where you are, but that would be a pretty crappy deal over here in Canada. And some suggestions now: What CPU is it? I'm guessing it's a pentium 4 because only the highest of high end Athlon X2s and Core 2 Duos are faster than 3ghz. Pentium 4s are crap, and if a store recommends them they're probably trying to sell their old stock that nobody wants to buy. That video card, a 7600GT will never use 512 mb of memory, it's a waste of money. It's also a generation old, and the midrange card of that generation too, so it's gonna be pretty slow. I would get an 8600 GTS or an HD3850 if you want to pay a bit more for alot more performance.

Fozzy Fozborne

Ignore anyone saying "by an 8XXX series card" because they're not aware of the fact that NVidia hasn't make AGP versions of the 8000 series cards. The last AGP card that Nvidia released was the 7900GS, which is also the most powerful AGP Nvidia card. The latest ATI card that is AGP is the 2600XT, while I believe the most powerful AGP ATI card is the x1950 pro.

Also, an 8800GT on a 2.8 P4? Please! Anything more than a 7600GT on that system would be a waste of money, and even a 7600GT is a stretch.

I would definitely consider a new system if you want to play games at anything more than mid graphics settings.

Edited by Fozzy Fozborne

Oh, I am very aware that 8800 series cards are only pcie, we are discussing a new computer he wants to build. confused.gif

Ignore anyone saying "by an 8XXX series card" because they're not aware of the fact that NVidia hasn't make AGP versions of the 8000 series cards. The last AGP card that Nvidia released was the 7900GS, which is also the most powerful AGP Nvidia card. The latest ATI card that is AGP is the 2600XT, while I believe the most powerful AGP ATI card is the x1950 pro.

Also, an 8800GT on a 2.8 P4? Please! Anything more than a 7600GT on that system  would be a waste of money, and even a 7600GT is a stretch.

I would definitely consider a new system if you want to play games at anything more than mid graphics settings.

No, but if he is buying a whole new computer, a recent motherboard should have PCIEx slots. And if he gets the processor he said, then a newer card is also gonna be worth it.

Fozzy Fozborne

Oops, read the first half of the topic and skipped to the second page...

Anyway, the last I heard was that the 8600GTS/GT and anything below those were a waste of time because they get worse performance than their predecessor (7600GT), is that still true? I remember it was commonly said to either get an 8800GTS/GTX/Ultra or a last-gen product.

Anyway, the last I heard was that the 8600GTS/GT and anything below those were a waste of time because they get worse performance than their predecessor (7600GT), is that still true? I remember it was commonly said to either get an 8800GTS/GTX/Ultra or a last-gen product.

I was told by the store guy that this card I have (ATI HD 2600 pro) has a better performance than a 8600 (which was the one I wanted to buy in the first place), and costed the same price. So I bought it, and it really is good.

Before that, when I was still deciding what to buy, people told me that the 7600 GT was the best card with the best price. I guess they said that it was even better than the 8500/8600 ones.

Rocketkiller

The X1950 PRO is about equal to the 8600 and 2600, maybe a bit faster. It's about twice as fast as a 7600GT.

No, they get better than the 7600's, but worse than the 7900's.

Vinny, I suggest get a Pentium Dual Core, not a Pentium D (Dual Core is on the Core 2 Duo Architecture, but with only 1Mb cache, which doesn't make much difference in real world scenarios) I should know they're good, I have one (Overclocked to 2.8Ghz tounge2.gif)

New account, Joe.

Well...

I was told by the store guy that this card I have (ATI HD 2600 pro) has a better performance than a 8600 (which was the one I wanted to buy in the first place), and costed the same price.

Depends on which 8600... actually... no it doesnt.

The 8600s are way ahead... even beating Nvidias 7800gt and Atis x1800xt in some games. The only way HD2600 Pro can beat the GT version (which is the cheapest 8600) is with

more memory at very high resolutions (which makes the game unplayable on it anyway). Also, Dx10 mode is sometimes unstable on Ati cards.

Oh, if you go for an AGP card get the x1950... I have one in my older PC and its fairly good for its price.

IF you want a new one then I suggest buying one... or if you REALLY want to build one yourself... ask for assistance from somebody who has done it before.

Anyways... heres what I built for about 450$ (yea our prices are high around here).

Gigabyte P31-DS3L

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8Ghz @ 2.4 Ghz

Apacer 1GB DDR2 667 Mhz

Gigabyte 8600GT (If you have enough money you could opt for an 8800GTS...though it might be bottlenecked by other parts)

Codegen 450W PSU

Other parts I took from my older PCs. In total I guess it could go up to about 550$. Ofcourse it depends on what the other parts are.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.