Virtual Telcom in IV?

crackdawg

- Our hero does not know what the photographer looks like. And there are so many people walking around with camera's! We call the number and look at who grabs and answers his phone: AHA! We see someone who puts his cell to his ear - and shortly afterwards, a "Hello?" sounds through the speakers.

- We have a short conversation with the dude that answered, hang up and check the dude. And yes: he puts his phone away as well!

It'd be cool if there was an actual virtual Telcom network. According to the leak there is also internet cafes with browsers on the machines. If IP's and a telephone prefix systems with actual non storyline NPC nodes and numbers where implemented it'd be awesome. I know the anti-interactivity people here will 'who cares' this feature, but it'd be awesome for people who enjoy a game they can't figure out in the first hour.

If not I could see this being a high priority mod for a PC version.

user posted image

Well, basically the phone is used for calling contacts, and for missions such as this case. The in-game internet should be already on the game, and only updated via internet if there is an update.

It kind of get's me thinking; would we need internet to play this game properly?

I could see the phone to be used to call PSN and XBL contacts, over the microphone.

Maybe Easter eggs could be involved, where we can enter a number in your phone, and it will give us a little message as a treat. smile.gif

EDIT: Maybe for the first few missions, we get phone calls to tell us how to play, instead of just writing wow.gif.

EDIT: Maybe for the first few missions, we get phone calls to tell us how to play, instead of just writing wow.gif.

That sounds very possible actually, and realistic. So I'd welcome that feature. smile.gif

I could see that. Like your cell phone company tells you all about who to do the actions and buttons due to being a new customer or what ever. I would love that.

Hidden numbers would be cool. They could be on some in game website or maybe a public exchange system with some automata that could be exploited.

Being able to call a non storyline NPC isn't practical now that I think of it cause R* isn't going to do that much voice acting development. That rules out a virtual city wide network. It could be done with the virtual internet though simply with config files, and even better dynamically generated addresses for obscure nodes that aren't web servers; if they wanted to give the game a lot more depth.

Edited by crackdawg
user posted image

I loved how in Saints Row, you could go to advertisements with phone numbers and just call them. I hope GTA IV expands on that.

Playstation3 Name: Simseth

Add me!

I loved how in Saints Row, you could go to advertisements with phone numbers and just call them. I hope GTA IV expands on that.

Yeah, I was just about to say that. That's another thing that could've worked well with GTAIV!

It would be hilarious to just call a random number and prank call/hustle whoever picked up biggrin.gif ...