Xbox live trouble

cold fusion 33

cold fusion 33

Ok guys I have a problem

The other night I was able to connect to Xbox live with only 1 problem, when I ran the Xbox live connection test it came up with a DNS error so I changed a few settings around in my PC (can't remember what I did) and then it all worked. But when I got up to go on live yesterday morning it wouldn't work so I ran the tests again and now it comes up with the IP address error. I've tried all day to try and fix it with the stuff they tell you to do on Xbox.com but I can't really understand most of the abbreviations and such.

The way I have rigged it all up is:

Xbox is connected to my PC via ethernet cable which in turn is hooked up to a usb wireless receiver which gets it's internet from the computer downstairs.

Now I understand that wireless may cause a problem so how do I fix it all? It worked since the other night and I haven't changed anything since so why is this happening?

The computer I am using is running Windows XP service pack 2 (I updated it via windows update).

The wireless receiver I am on the computer is a Belkin wireless G 811.2b. (I think that is right, I am recalling all of this by memory)

The router is also a Belkin (I am not sure what type and I can't check for a few days as I am at my dads).

When I plug the ethernet cable into the computer I have 3 choices for network 1. Is the wireless one for the PC 2. Is one called 1394 connection and it has a connection speed of 100/mbs 3. Is called Local Area Connection which says that it is connected by a hi-speed NIC family ethernet cable and when plugged into the xbox it had a speed of 400/mbs and I am guessing this is the right connection as it has a 400/mbs connection which is the speed of ethernet I think.

I have a 1 month free gold subscrtiption if that will make any difference.

It is a Xbox Premium 20gb. (9.8gb free)

Well I guess that is enough info (I bet 2/3 of it is un-needed but I'd better put all I know in just in case).

Please help guys, you've never let me down before and I hope you keep that up

Any help is appreciated,

CF33

Ps. I asked this question in the Xbox 360 discussion to no avail, that is why I have asked again here.

Edited by cold fusion 33

cold fusion 33

The router is downstairs and the cable is only 2 metres long or so and even if it was longer I think my mum may have objections about me trailing a cable round the house.

Thanks for the help anyways icon14.gif

Any other ideas?

Edited by cold fusion 33

The router is downstairs and the cable is only 2 metres long or so and even if it was longer I think my mum may have obligations about me trailing a cable round the house.

Thanks for the help anyways icon14.gif

Any other ideas?

Well maybe try to plug straight in and make sure it isnt the settings on the xbox?

Then you are eliminating problems right?

I run mine on Wireless and there was a few problems getting it working but once I inputted the correct details it was fine. I suspect it is an Xbox settings problem...

x3FWE.png

cold fusion 33

Well maybe try to plug straight in and make sure it isnt the settings on the xbox?

I run mine on Wireless and there was a few problems getting it working but once I inputted the correct details it was fine. I suspect it is an Xbox settings problem...

I will try that as soon as I get home smile.gif Thanks.

Incase that doesn't work, are there any other ideas?

You say you have an ethernet cable connected from your PC to the xbox, which uses the wireless receiver?

I will try that as soon as I get home smile.gif Thanks.

Incase that doesn't work, are there any other ideas?

Make sure the WEP key is correct, and typed in properly.

That should do it.

x3FWE.png

cold fusion 33

You say you have an ethernet cable connected from your PC to the xbox, which uses the wireless receiver?

The receiver is plugged into the PC (Usb port)

Make sure the WEP key is correct, and typed in properly.

That should do it.

I don't think it has a wep key. The only protection our network has is that it is hidden and its, SSID is only known by people we have told.

Can you reset the settings to default, then just re-do it?

How do you do that? The 'restore to factory defaults'? I presumed that restarted the whole system deleting my data in the process. Is that what it does?

Thanks for the help

CF33

Edited by cold fusion 33

Can you reset the settings to default, then just re-do it?

How do you do that? The 'restore to factory defaults'? I presumed that restarted the whole system deleting my data in the process. Is that what it does?

Ye, it might. I don't have a 360, so I'm not sure. Do you get a signal with your 360? If you can't tell, turn on the 360 and look at your router to see if another light comes on.

You could also unplug and replug your modem.

Check the settings of the internet of the 360. Try use the auto settings, unless you need something else. If you have the info of your IP and stuff, then just type it in, instead of auto settings and see what happens.

cold fusion 33

OK I have started thinking of other ideas to get Live on the Xbox and I heard that you can use the original xbox's wireless receiver in the 360, is this correct? I don't want to have to spend £60 on the 360's receiver.

And also if it does work could someboy show me where I could order one in the UK? I can't find any sad.gif

Edited by cold fusion 33

OK I have started thinking of other ideas to get Live on the Xbox and I heard that you can use the original xbox's wireless receiver in the 360, is this correct? I don't want to have to spend £60 on the 360's receiver.

And also if it does work could someboy show me where I could order one in the UK? I can't find any sad.gif

I'd try a straight connection from your xbox to the router, if it still doesn't work, I wouldn't waste the money on getting a wireless receiver.

cold fusion 33

Well ok I will try that but I want to know if the original xbox wireless adapter will work on the 360 as I will go on Live a lot and I don't want my PC turned on all the time, its kinda a waste of electricity don't you think?

Edited by cold fusion 33

Well ok I will try that but I want to know if the original  xbox wireless adapter will work on the 360 as I will go on Live a lot and I don't want my PC turned on all the time, its kinda a waste of electricity don't you think?

Indeed.

Apparently, the original Xbox one does work with the 360, but I'd look into it a bit more before making any decisions if I were you. Spending money on something you later find out isn't what you need is a bad feeling.

cold fusion 33

Spending money on something you later find out isn't what you need is a bad feeling.

I know all about that sad.gif.

Does anyone know where I could find one (In the UK where I can order one preferably)? I've looked over 100 pages of Xbox accsserories on Amazon and there was hardly anything to do with the original Xbox and it's peripherals on there, it was all Xbox 360 or strangely Nintendo 64...

Hang on...

Did you say you already tried plugging an ethernet cable in directly from the router to your 360? If no, do it. Take your 360 downstairs, I'm sure your parents won't mind if you're just testing something. If you still can't connect to Live, don't waste your time/money buying a wireless receiver. It's obviously a problem with the settings.

cold fusion 33

Well the only thing I don't get is why it worked 1 night and then 10 hours ater it didn't and in those 10 hours I didn't touch the computer...

@ Deuce, I will try that as soon as I get a new ethernet cable (Probably on friday) as I lost the one that came with the 360 sad.gif

Alright.

You need to go to Control Panel > Network Connections

On the left hand side you'll have a picture of a little house. On Pro it says Set up a home or small office network. It says something different in Home.

Run through the wizard, tick the box for ignore disconnected hardware

Choose: This computer connects directly to the Internet. Then select your Wireless Network Connection. After that, select the LAN adapter you want to use your Xbox with.

Keep clicking Next until you get to file and printer sharing. Turn this on.

The wizard will then go about setting up the necessaries. When the wizard finishes, choose the Just finish the wizard option.

Sorted.

EDIT: Data, the Microsoft link isn't great to be fair. It confuses things more than they need to be confused. But I agree. A fix was posted.

cold fusion 33

Yes but when I click addvanced the only option I have is firewall settings:

user posted image

Yes but when I click addvanced the only option I have is firewall settings:

user posted image

You're heading down the wrong path.

Well it gave a stating point and something to come back on. I really don't know how much these guys know, but it appears I may need to be a bit more helpful than a link now tounge.gif

cold hit the Network Setup Wizard at the bottom of that and see what happens, it's the same as the route above jsut a different way to get in.

cold fusion 33

I've done what Davemc told me to do (Setup small network...) and now Mozilla, Messenger and IE7 won't work. Why?

Run through it again, double checking that you have selected the correct adapter for your Internet connection.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.