Is Bigger Really Better?

Le_Joker

... Okay, okay, the pun was intended. But let me go on a rant that has been bottling up for quite a while now before I get to me point. If this is tl;dr for you, then go ahead and skip down to the last paragraph or two.

Now, many people have said in the past that, despite having less customization, less mini-games, less space, less variety in scenery (arguably, see below), less missions, less vehicles, less weirdness, and just... Less, that they still preferred Vice City over San Andreas and they still play it more often today.

... I had been donated Vice City by a friend who no longer wanted it before I got GTA3 or San Andreas. And I thought I was really missing out, and that the person described above must have been crazy. I loved me Vice City very much, that was for sure, so much that I pretty much came to know the city layout like the back of my hand out of second nature from all of the fun times I had playing the game. But I figured that something with so much more of everything must surely – SURELY – be more loveable than Vice City.

So, after going out to get GTA3 (for the story, really, though I found out that it’s still really fun even for being 6 years out-of-date) and San Andreas, I expected San Andreas to blow me away.

The first two weeks, I was hooked on San Andreas. Of course, I was still very new to the location. The first time you play any GTA game in a place you’ve never been, you tend to get lost pretty quickly and end up using the map for almost everything. But, I caught on somewhat quickly. However, when you have a map that is SO HUGE, you tend to not really get to know your surroundings, and more often than not you end up relying on basic landmarks to figure it out.

But, not long after I had finished the story missions and resigned myself to getting 100% completion did I really see where San Andreas was flawed, and what made Vice City so much better.

So, my first undertaking after finishing the missions was to get all of the Tags in Los Santos. Easy enough. I knew I wouldn’t have the patience or intelligence to find them all by myself, and so I hit the interwebz and tracked them down one by one. Unfortunately, I later came to find out that, despite finding all 100, I had actually missed two somewhere. -_-;;; After much annoyance and throwing of fits, I decided that I would have to go back through and hunt down all of them again, or else give up my perfect 100 dreams. As it turns out I had some sort of glitch or something going on, because I did have all 100. I even checked with the spray paint to make sure I had COMPLETED each tag and I hadn’t sprayed it to the point of *almost finished* and then assumed I was done and didn’t finish up. But that isn’t really the point.

As I was going through Los Santos, I was getting gradually more nauseated, because it felt like every ghetto neighborhood looked the same and every rich neighborhood looked the same. Other than configuration, Willow Field really didn’t look that much different from Jefferson. Rodeo seemed exactly like Temple. Each area wasn’t really distinct, and I could see at that point that R* had bitten off WAY more than they could chew in terms of laying out San Andreas. They had decided “We’re just going to make this big ghetto/suburb/whatever and then this will be the same.” The suburb areas in Las Venturas and business and residential areas in San Fierro are the same. (Don’t even bother with the big waste-of-space counties. I actually thought those were kind of cooler than the cities. There wasn’t anything distinct, but hey, that’s the wilderness for you.)

To make things even more indistinct, most of the areas in SA have NO IMPORTANCE to them. Nothing. Why bother going to Little Mexico? Or White Wood Estates? Etc. etc. etc. Some places are just there for the anti-lulz. They put them there to take up space and to be there. Every city in San Andreas could be literally half its size if you took out all of the pointless districts.

So, a lot of San Andreas fanboys cite it as being better because of its huge size. But really, does it make good use of it? Compare to Vice City. In Vice City, you have more distinction per area. But more than that. Just the locations of everything are more distinct. You can get to know Vice City’s layout better, and it ends up feeling more familiar to you. San Andreas always feels kind of foreign and wrong to me. (Let’s also not forget the fact [opinion] that thematically San Andreas is way scattered, and Las Venturas came laid out like total tacked-on sh*t. But that’s beside the point.)

Sorry, it’s a bit hard to explain how I feel about this in words. X.x

So, anyways, to bring this to the point, what does this have to do with GTAIV? Well. Since there will be way more enterable buildings and therefore way more to do in GTAIV, One would think that every inch and corner of Liberty City will be unique and unforgettable compared to the next. But, let’s also keep this in mind: San Andreas had three very different cities and five counties divided into two categories. (Forest and desert.) And it still ended up coming out looking like it didn’t know how to handle its own size in terms of uniqueness. So now, I’m worried that, with all this BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG CITY sh*t, Liberty City could turn out with a bunch of areas looking cloned out because R* was lazy with the architecture and what-not.

I’m probably being a total pessimistic lolcow right now, so please, feel free to slap me across the pessimistic lolcow face. But seriously... Is anyone else concerned that Liberty City might end up being too big to handle itself?

Edited by Le_Joker

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG CITY sh*t, Liberty City could turn out with a bunch of areas looking cloned out because R* was lazy with the architecture and what-not.

I’m probably being a total pessimistic lolcow right now, so please, feel free to slap me across the pessimistic lolcow face. But seriously... Is anyone else concerned that Liberty City might end up being too big to handle itself?

No. Atleast I'm not. R* didn't spend all this time, plus the delay, just to copy-paste a whole city. They know what they are doing, and you shouldn't worry. Plus, they never said that Liberty City was going to be bigger than SA, in terms of land mass. They said it was going to be bigger vertically, meaning you will be able to go into buildings and stuff. So there will be more places to explore inside the city. And I dont think that SA was looked the same all over the place. Sure there were a lot of areas in Los Santos that looked like eachother, but that's just becaus they focused on three different citys with each their own theme to it. This time it'll be one big city, with a lot of different areas and boroughs. So I really dont think you have anything to worry about here. smile.gif

Ever get the feeling that you suck?

Quality is always better than quantity.

Ch'yeah... Try telling her that.

Is anyone else concerned that Liberty City might end up being too big to handle itself?

Not at all. Rockstar even said the game won't use any un-needed space like how in SA most of the countrside and desert seemed and felt very empty. Everything you see in GTA IV will have a meaning to it, and will work around the pedestration's every day lives (tounge.gif).

I don't think there's any need to worry in that regard, Rockstar learn from their mistakes believe it or not.

As you said Vice City, hell even GTA III are stil prefered over SA despite being much bigger. To answer the question, no bigger isn't always better.

It's not the size, it's how you use it. icon14.gif

Sexual puns FTW!!!!!!!!!

While Vice City may have had more distinct areas because there was less of them I thought Vice City's districts a lot of times were a bit pointless and the graphics were bad. The city felt rushed, I mean a whole new GTA game came only one year after III. Vice City was your first GTA so it's natural that you may cling to it and reject San Andreas but eventually you'll probably find acceptance.

b& for posting naughty pictures

As you said Vice City, hell even GTA III are stil prefered over SA despite being much bigger. To answer the question, no bigger isn't always better.

Sexual puns FTW!!!!!!!!!

SA to me was the best out of the three but thats probably just me.

Lifestyles of The Cool

GTA3 was most fans introduction, unlike me who had Gta, Gta london, and Gta2 on my Sega Dreamcast. I had reserved GTA3, before it came out, and when I went to pick it up, I was surprised to see that no one else had. Most people got on to the franchise, after they saw A friend with it, or something else. Vice city is most people's favorite, but the city got very dull, and it did feel rushed. San Andreas was big, but it also felt like the game with the most detail. It did lack in some areas, but for the most was A better game than the previous two. To date my Favorite's are San An, Vice City, and GTA2. GTA4 look's like A sure thing, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. (Officially The Cool) sly.gif

Thats what she said! WHOOOOOOO!

Anyway when I think about it most ghettos do look the same and most suburbs do too lol, but thats not the point. The point is R* are making an incredible game. It has the highest expectations among developers and I feel a little leeway is ok. But I dont think there will be any wasted space, I mean they said that right "No dead areas, or wasted spaces." ?? R* know what to do with the added size, GTA 3 was pretty big if you think about it.

CthulhuFhtagn

I have to agree with Le Joker. Bigger is rarely better. Right now, I know every nook and cranny of VC. Also, it has much more... Atmosphere.

However, I also need to disagree with the last paragraph. We do not yet know how much work they have put in IV-LC.

This tread is worthless

It's big, it's yellow, can't you f*cking see it?

user posted image

*I am happy with Vegas being banned, and I fully support the staff's decision to keep him banned.*!!!

I personally liked Vice City better than San Andreas, only because of the feel of the city.

Bigger can sometimes be better.

And TC, you have a spelling error first sentence.

Good topic, i'm actually really in your camp in regards to SA, it did feel like Rockstar had moved onto the actual size of the playing field and neglected what everybody was actually wanting from the game, dont get me wrong it still blew, any attempts to copy the game, out of the water but i really think thats what the major change will be. Im not pro realism by any means and i think thats been blow out of all proportions by both sides of the arguement, however the city has to feel alive, its simply down to gameplay, alot of areas in SA were too similar and alot of areas were pointless and it felt like rockstar had comintted themselves to making this game so huge in scale but forgot that vice city was a big game when it came out,you're right it felt like you learnt the areas and the streets and all of them had their own feel

I agree, if you make the map smaller, you can concentrate more on details and thus making the game more fun and interactive.

~>>TsingTao<<~
her[/i] that.

Why have you put CH before Yeah? I don't understand ph34r.gif

Its like a finger pointing away to the Moon,

Dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

MSN: [email protected]

Grand Theft Auto IV

29 April 2008

EA Games® made me do it £££££ :(

Well, let this be said for the topic:

I really hope they seal the different boroughs up and unlock them one at a time. Nothing really helps me get into the atmosphere of the area quite like spending a huge amount of time unwillingly isolated from everywhere else. :-O

Also, I believe my first sentence is quite alright.

Unless you are refering to "Ya", which I did on purpose. It's pronounced "yaw" instead of "yeah". >.>

her[/i] that.

Why have you put CH before Yeah? I don't understand ph34r.gif

Say it out loud.

You also f*cked up your quote. Congrats.