Gameplay Sux [?]

Slamman

I am being humorous with my topic title but due to the graphics subject in much debate I see... I want to add to the prospective thoughts as to how GTA has evolved (as we will soon see) with regard to Gameplay, and not so much what is good and perfect in making GTA as great a game as it is (arguably the best) but more so how it falters.

I say this because I have been playing back and forth with the old PS2 titles on my PS3 and of course was very happy with the next gen games but playing the older GTAs, I see the glaring problem areas that I hope, as well as you do I'm sure) will be remedied.

I will start by saying the most obnoxious over sight in past GTAs is the car's control on pavement, when dry it leaves alot to be desired, when wet, even more so!

I love driving games in general for many years, but who can argue that GTA versus other driving sims alone has an advantage? Well, I would say in some small regard, there is GTA's do-anything Sandbox at the heart of it all and that's where shortcomings are hastily ignored (put up with?)

Your thoughts and observations on (ALL) GTAs past and in the future, how GTA4 will stack up in addressing these

YourNeighborhoodKiller

I remembering reading an article about these guys were watching another guy play the game. And they said the gameplay is incredible.

They were using this screenshot in the article, and they said the gameplay is as good as this screenshot makes it look.

http://media.gtanet.com/images/3760_gta_iv.jpg

New account: Gezim

^ Don't know what you mean by that, seems short to me. The last comment I made should be as a question... I forget that alot (there I go again! haha)

Anywho, As I play both Vice City and San Andreas I note cars and roads are all very rough in nature and though they look vastly improved this time, I wonder about how well curves in roads might be, as I was driving near the Vinewood sign in SA, you'll note the winding steep roadway is far from natural looking but it presents a gaming challenge in it's own way too.

I don't want to get off into graphics though. An issue I had with gameplay is spawning of course. Will every car you jack require a break in and hot-wire or are some left (with keys?) ready to go? I would say for the added animations [car jacking], I had worried about slowing down of gameplay as well.

Recall trying to get out of a vehicle to fight the police due to the time and location that would not allow a hasty getaway? Often times you were BUSTED on the spot

Edited by Slamman

If you were referring to the way vehicles (as well as peds) move, then I see where you're coming from. I've always disliked the way they move like a "robot" shall we say. It doesn't look natural in that how their AI would react to different actions you'd carry out, this especially goes for peds on the street, but peds driving vehicles as well.

For example, if you were to randomly shoot someone on the street, only few of the people around the dead body would make a run for it and start screaming, naturally, but those on the opposite sidewalk carry on as if nothing'd happened (like you didn't hear that gunshot!). As far as moving vehicles go, though, their unpredictable behaviour can cause a lot of annoyance, on and off the highway. Example: you'd just come out of a garage after pimping out your Clover, take it on the road and gain some speed, some dickhead infront of you hits the brakes and BAM! You wrecked my car!

However, I have reason to believe this will very much change in GTA IV. Not just because we've heard this from previews, but from watching the trailers people seem more like an actual character with real intelligence (thanks RAGE!), and act more fluent in both walking and driving - which is something I've always wanted to see improved ever since GTA III. An example is when we see some guy adjust his mirror in his car at the beginning of the first trailer.

As far as new the car jacking feature goes, it's just a better animation used rather than opening the door and getting right in, so it won't be tricky. I'd say, after you've hotwired the car and left it somewhere, when you come back to it you can get straight in and drive.

I don't know if any of you have played Crackdown (Xbox 360), but it sort of reminds me of the features said to be used in GTA IV. From playing it myself, it's obvious that next-gen consoles are perfectly capable of carrying out all the new stuff we've heard to feature in GTA IV.

This ranges from being able to hear the "bass" of the music played in the car as you stand outside (and panning around the camera gives off a feeling that you know where it's coming from), to your parked cars staying in the same place after roaming across the end of the city and back, as opposed to GTA where it would disappear after turning the corner.

All we can really do is speculate- it's hard to imagine a game with enhanced realism aspects, while taking into account the sort of humour we've seen in GTA, so it's just guessing right now.

One thing I noticed is in every sequel the less mentioned features like robbing stores are removed. I honestly believe that bicycles, as well as some other vehicles(besides planes) and features are going to be removed. The game is going to ride on a few new features as well as the physics, and shiny reflections.

The prostitutes in my opinion are almost certainly going to be removed so they'll have a easier time get the game rated and published.

user posted image

Snake Without a Tongue

I don't really think how cars handle constitutes 'gameplay'. I think of gameplay as being how the controllers will relate to the action and how much the writers will exploit that.

Any improvement on the roads and cars will be appreciated. I played SA the other day and was reminded of how much it feels like skipping a frozen pork chop over an icy lake. Couldn't feel the road at all. Even other last-gen games could do better than that.

defibrillator
The prostitutes in my opinion are almost certainly going to be removed so they'll have a easier time get the game rated and published.

prostitutes are probably the least "bad" thing about GTA. Do you honestly think killing hundreds of people volitionally isn't as bad as banging a girl in your car, even though she's just sitting in the front seat and nothing is actually occurring but a sound over? Ridiculous I'd say. What would New York be without a red light district? Not. I have no doubts that there will be a Red Light full of cheap ugly whores who will jump in your car. I wouldn't even be surprised if Luigi's club was back either. That being said, prostitutes are not the main concern of ESRB. And more so, you'll still be able to sleep with your girlfriend, why not a random girl on the street?

prostitutes are probably the least "bad" thing about GTA. Do you honestly think killing hundreds of people volitionally isn't as bad as banging a girl in your car, even though she's just sitting in the front seat and nothing is actually occurring but a sound over? Ridiculous I'd say. What would New York be without a red light district? Not. I have no doubts that there will be a Red Light full of cheap ugly whores who will jump in your car. I wouldn't even be surprised if Luigi's club was back either. That being said, prostitutes are not the main concern of ESRB. And more so, you'll still be able to sleep with your girlfriend, why not a random girl on the street?

The ESRB frowned upon the 'hot coffee' feature, but they approve shooting sprees and missile to face action with police officers. The evangelical mercenarine's attacking Rockstar also amplifies the situation.

user posted image

defibrillator

Hot coffee was a mini game where you were "actually" having sex. (in parentheses because there was no penetration)

The only reason ESRB was pissed is because they didn't see this mini game when they rated it. Prostitution in GTA has always been the rocking of a car and some moans and nothing more. If all the previous GTA's did fine with prostitution why on earth would it be effecting the franchise now? After some 6-7 years the ESRB never pointed out the picking up hookers was a problem nor was it labeled as a warning on the back of the video game box. All in all prostitutes deserve to be in the game, they are people too.

pl0x

"Gameplay...does not suck"

it will be incredible!

have you even read the thread?

Yeah, in fact I just saw your post...and looked at the first thing he said.

My bad biggrin.gif

One thing I noticed is in every sequel the less mentioned features like robbing stores are removed. I honestly believe that bicycles, as well as some other vehicles(besides planes) and features are going to be removed. The game is going to ride on a few new features as well as the physics, and shiny reflections.

Bicycles were one of the first things confirmed to be not in the game <_< >_>

Bicycles were one of the first things confirmed to be not in the game <_< >_>

Link?

I don't really think how cars handle constitutes 'gameplay'. I think of gameplay as being how the controllers will relate to the action and how much the writers will exploit that.

Any improvement on the roads and cars will be appreciated. I played SA the other day and was reminded of how much it feels like skipping a frozen pork chop over an icy lake. Couldn't feel the road at all. Even other last-gen games could do better than that.

Well, I do... In the sense of how you control them, vs the ones under computer control. I don't recall the bikes being removed, but as anyone who recalls the movie Taxi recently, the bike messengers are frequently observed in NY due to heavy traffic. I'm interested in things Rockstar has yet to smooth over... in the past, and with present gameplay when GTA4 hits our consoles

Me personally, i noticed that the roads themselves at times seemed a little 'odd'. It felt as though R* had built a city and then decided that it could do with a road at a certain point. And at the end of the day, the roads just didn't quite work. For example in Vice City if you followed the roads long enough you'll eventually make a turn and find yourself in one way traffic. In SA, this problem was largely fixed, but instead, suddenly traffic lights became confusing. I could pass one traffic light (green) while turning and shortly thereafter(which translates to right after turning.), there's a red light. Now in the real world this light would deal with the traffic on the road you just joined and not you, but in the gta world, everybody stops for a red light. So traffic really became a go stop and go experience. Of course, that only applies if you decided to follow the law ph34r.gif

Then they was the problem of poorly planned out roads. Take LS along the road where the main Amunnation Gun shop is located. Instead of an intersection, there is a long hedge complete with trees. A formidable barrier for any land bound vehicle. And, as you may have noticed, there are two roads, one on each side of the hedge which cannot be accessed from the other side unless you choose to go all the way around, time consuming and unnecessary really. Its these little things that really annoy me.

Hence, a proper road network is my primary concern for a game set in such a busy city so thats something i definitely want fixed.

Anyone who cringes at the Vice City Driver mission with Hillary can attest, all the skill required in doing high speeds on sharp corners with no traction and in bumper car autos, no less... I feel it leaves alot of room for R* to polish gameplay