3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

OrionSR

Care and Feeding of a San Andreas Impound Garage

Lethal Vaccine

Ok thanks OGViking and DragonPokeZ. I guess I gotta remove those random Vehicles sitting next to my Packer then, huh? I always go in and get a 3 star wanted level. I know it's avoidable, but at the same time, I could careless about it. I just want my Packer safe until I can move to San Fierro...

Lethal Vaccine

@OGViking, when you say to "remove the Vehicles sitting in the Impound do you mean pull them out of the spots and then destroy all of them including the random car gen, too? I didn't do anything today, other than reload my Save over and over and learn this Impound. I got the AP Packer to show again. When it spawns, it's spawning in the checkered off square box location on the far right when facing North. It doesn't even spawn in an actual parking spot. Now, I see a Voodoo and Tahoma, as well as a random Vehicle always inside there next to it. What I did as a test was drove these 3 Vehicles a bit forward and shot 1 of the Vehicles to blow up and explode the other 2 Vehicles along with. Then I packed the AP Packer in the center of the Impound, in the Slots. I exited while keeping an eye on the Impound Zone AFTER making the Packer despawn. Then I lost my wanted level and returned to the Impound. This time, my Packer was stuck in the wall of a pillar which you said would happen, but it's ok since it's DP, no harm done. I am able to get it unstuck and drive it off in a second. But there was yet again another random Vehicle in there, this time a PCJ-600.

So did I do it right? Is that what you mean by "clearing the impound" of the unnecessary stuff. All I want inside is the AP Packer. Everything else I blew up and simply blew them up a bit ways in front of the parking slots themselves, about half way between the zone where the Packer despawns when running away from it toward the wall.

But yeah, when I returned all I saw was the Packer and another random Vehicle. So would this mean now I can continue with the Story Missions, but from here on out only use Mission Scripted Vehicles and run on foot to the last 15 Story Missions I need to do in Los Santos before moving it to Doherty?

Please let me know. I will pick this up next weekend. I didn't do anything today but test how the Impound works in Los Santos as well as trying to get the AP Packer over the Flint Intersection, lolol, but I failed. One time I got close, actually, but it was still short a bit. I also drove my AP Sultan around. I was able to launch that over the Flint Intersection first try and had some fun jumping the hills in San Fierro. Seriously, the AP Sultan is my favorite Special Vehicle in all of SA. This is a must have Vehicle...

DragonpokeZ

Blowing up won't work. It's like a normal garage, the wrekcs will be restored. Get them out of the Impound zone and then blow the up if you want

Lethal Vaccine

I don't mean blowing them up in their parking spots inside the Impound. But what you are saying is I have to take them to the area where the Packer vanishes when I walk far enough away? You're positive? Cuz like I said...When I returned to check, the Packer was in a different spot and NOTHING was there, besides the random vehicle that is generated...

DragonpokeZ

I don't mean blowing them up in their parking spots inside the Impound. But what you are saying is I have to take them to the area where the Packer vanishes when I walk far enough away? You're positive? Cuz like I said...When I returned to check, the Packer was in a different spot and NOTHING was there, besides the random vehicle that is generated...

Yes, that's it. Keep the Packer isolated. That way,a random Impound won't make the Packer vanish

Lethal Vaccine

Ok, well I will always check every few Missions I suppose and if the Packer remains, then great! If not, I will reload and do the few Missions again, etc...

I am PRETTY SURE I know how to remove the Vehicles while keeping the Packer there...

OG Viking

@OGViking, when you say to "remove the Vehicles sitting in the Impound do you mean pull them out of the spots and then destroy all of them including the random car gen, too?

Simple: Get all unwanted vehicles out of the garage.

I'm not sure if you have got a feeling for how big the garage is, the invisible door will be near the front bumper of the Packer. If you park a vehicle and it doesn't disappear when you go to the southern wall, then it's outside of the garage. Then you know how far you have to move the unwanted vehicles. You can move them very far as Dragonpoke suggests, but I don't know why that's a good idea. I just move the unwanted vehicles out of the garage, and it works for me.

It's not necessary to destroy the unwanted vehicles after moving them out. It may actually be a small advantage to not destroy them, because the more vehicles that are kept in memory, the less chance it is for a new vehicle to spawn in the random generator when you are leaving.

So did I do it right? Is that what you mean by "clearing the impound" of the unnecessary stuff. All I want inside is the AP Packer. Everything else I blew up and simply blew them up a bit ways in front of the parking slots themselves, about half way between the zone where the Packer despawns when running away from it toward the wall.

But yeah, when I returned all I saw was the Packer and another random Vehicle. So would this mean now I can continue with the Story Missions, but from here on out only use Mission Scripted Vehicles and run on foot to the last 15 Story Missions I need to do in Los Santos before moving it to Doherty?

You achieved your goal, but as I said above there's no need to blow up anything.

When you have confirmed that the Packer is there (and still proofed), and you also have confirmed that no other vehicles are saved with it, reload your game and continue with your missions.

Always travel on foot to the missions if you want to be as safe as possible. You can drive, but it involves some risk. If you do drive, then you must park a few blocks away, or drown the vehicle before you start the mission.

Edit - I'm quoting you from the other thread

How do I do the 100 Spray Tags as well? I would be using the BMX that is stored in my Ganton Garage with the Sultan and BF-400 to do those to get the BMX Stat up to do the BMX Side Mission and after getting the other 94 Tags, I would discard the BMX and save the game. Anything I touch gets impounded?

For free-roaming (which includes spraying tags), you can use as many vehicles as you want, they won't get impounded. On rare occasions freak incidents happens and unexplained impounding may occur (I remember someone who got a couple of sailing ships impounded in San Fierro). But unexplained impounding is so rare that you shouldn't fear it - but at the same time you have to be aware of the possibility. You have different save slots for a reason.

You have only one vehicle stored in the impound garage, it won't be overwritten before you get three new vehicles impounded.

Also, when you drive home, park you vehicle outside and save your game, that vehicle will never get impounded. Saving the game doesn't impound anything.

Edited by OG Viking

Lethal Vaccine

OGViking,

Very good! So I will just pull the "other" Vehicles out of the Impound Zone area and then reposition the Packer in the center and then leave the Impound. But first I will run to the far wall so the Packer vanishes when the invisible door closes and then run back to check it, and once more run away from it and watch it disappear as the door closes and then leave the Impound and go save. Sound good? Then I can continue my Missions? I only have 9 Missions out of 15 that I can do right now anyways. I wanted to work up to House Party, before Burning Desire and at this time, I was gonna do all the little Side Missions in Los Santos (except 8 Track - Driving Skill Too Low) as well as the 94 more Spray Tags. After all of that, then I wanted to jack a Police Bike and put it in SMB and do Vigilante and try for the Phoenix, Bullet, Turismo, Hotknife, Euros, etc, etc, etc...

After ALL of this is done, then I need to use Gray Imports to make them all EP/FP and get to Reuniting the Families for the Police Car. I will be in Los Santos a long time since those Vigilante Vehicles might take a while to spawn and you know the Police Car...It will take well over 3 hours of trying, unlike the Packer/Sultan/BF-400. Those are 100% luck based, but I still get closer getting them even when I am unsuccessful than when I am unsuccessful with the Police. But I NEED it on this PS2 Save, so I won't be moving along anytime soon...After I get the Police, then I can finally do the last couple LS Missions and then unlock The Country and move the AP Packer to Doherty finally and out of the LS Impound.

OG Viking

and then reposition the Packer in the center and then leave the Impound.

It doesn't matter where the Packer is when you close the door (as long as it is inside the garage of course). The impound garages doesn't work like normal garages, you can't decide exactly where in the impound garage a vehicle is stored. The impound garages doesn't keep track of vehicle positions, they only keep a list of the content and spawn it at fixed positions when the door opens.

But first I will run to the far wall so the Packer vanishes when the invisible door closes and then run back to check it, and once more run away from it and watch it disappear as the door closes and then leave the Impound and go save.

I've seen other players do that (close, open, and close a final time) at the San Fierro impound, I guess it's to verify that the door is operating without lag when they have a few aircrafts there. It's the only reason I can think of. In my experience, the LS impound garage door is more reliable and I've never observed lag there. And since you have only one vehicle stored, you won't experience any lag with the door. You can leave directly and be sure that the door did close. You'll have to save and check on the impound anyway.

Then I can continue my Missions?

Yes, but only if you have a FP/EP Hydra. :p Edited by OG Viking

Lethal Vaccine

Thank you very much for the info. I understand now. I look forward to doing all of this on the weekend so I can finally continue...

Fooking Rekt

Oh man these impounds are gonna f*ck me up SOOOO much on Mobile...

Lethal Vaccine

Well, the Los Santos Impound won't be that bad once you learn. Simply impound the Packer via Broadway and immediately save after that. THEN learn the Impound. I wouldn't continue until you understand cuz when I went into the Impound I had a Vehicle Generated randomly, plus the 2 other Vehicles I must of drove to a Mission or whatever, and then the AP Packer. NOW, I can get it where only the AP Packer spawns and a random, which is ok for now. But yeah, once you understand how to enter and leave them and understand the way it works, it's not too bad to use...

Controlling the camera on Mobile while keeping it on the impound zone where the Vehicles are stored will be hard, though. It's hard even for me on PS2. It kinda reminds me of the AP Fire Truck and keeping the camera on it, lol..That's what I have to do with the Impound Zone, but on foot with CJ so my Packer spawns. If I don't do that, it's not there...

Edited by Militia

OG Viking

Controlling the camera on Mobile while keeping it on the impound zone where the Vehicles are stored will be hard, though. It's hard even for me on PS2.

Can you drive a vehicle and look right and left on Mobile? As when you do drive-by. That could perhaps be a way to look in the right direction on Mobile.

Fooking Rekt

Controlling the camera on Mobile while keeping it on the impound zone where the Vehicles are stored will be hard, though. It's hard even for me on PS2.

Can you drive a vehicle and look right and left on Mobile? As when you do drive-by. That could perhaps be a way to look in the right direction on Mobile.

You only can if you shoot, but the problem is you must run

OG Viking

You must run? I use vehicles.

Fooking Rekt

That's gonna be more difficult for me propably though

Lethal Vaccine

When I enter the Impound, I do it on foot. I never did it with a Police Car or a Motorcycle to get into the tiny slot next to the garage door where you can walk into to proceed down the ramp. I've seen PC Users do it with a Motorcycle, but not on Console...On PC, controlling camera is much easier, however, I am getting the hang of it on PS2 since I can enter LS Impound on foot no problem as well as obtain the AP Fire Truck twice now, so it's not too bad.

OG Viking

I usually control the camera with the PS2 thumbstick and brake as necessary when I roll down the ramp. But sometimes I lock the camera in the drive-by position and steer the vehicle in such a way that I look at the impound garage all the time. I thought it would be possible on Mobile too.

I almost never enter or leave an impound on foot.

Edited by OG Viking

Lethal Vaccine

Ah, I see. And no. It's NOT possible on Mobile to look left or right WITHOUT firing a weapon. Only can use the rotating camera on Mobile to look in whatever direction you want. You can also use the "look back" feature to look backward while in a car. But if you hit the drive by button, it automatically shoots. This is why Mobile is very hard. It's not like PS2 and PC and everything. The Buttons are different. You can't even leave the door open for Vehicles. CJ is glued on the ground until the door is fully closed. Makes double, or triple driving basically impossible and Vehicles disappear so easily...

I've only entered the LS Impound to date on foot and left on foot. Had no problems like that, though. I've left the Impound via my Packer a couple times and it IS easy to drive out and keep the camera on the zone. But coming into the Impound? I never tried it with a Vehicle.

Edited by Militia

OG Viking

Then look to the side while shooting like a madman all the way. :D I prefer to enter with police vehicles, the guards will open the gate for you.

Lethal Vaccine

LOL, yeah, the Mobile Controls are a bit funky, so that is why I like playing on PS2 the most, lol...

Lethal Vaccine

Ok, I guess I know how the Impound in Los Santos works. I was able to remove my junk from the Impound and have only the AP Packer inside. Not even a random Vehicle was generated when I went in a couple times to check. ONLY my AP Packer is there now. I also learned the Los Santos Gym Moves and passed Just Business now that I got the EC Mutant BF-400, AP Packer, AP Sultan, and DP/EP/FP BF-400 and checked the Impound after saving the game and reloading, of course running on foot everywhere and it's exactly like how I wanted it. Just AP Packer inside! :)

Now...Just to keep it there until I buy the Airstrip and store it in the Hanger.

Oh, I'd imagine I can use cars for Missions again after The Green Sabre, right? Cuz the nearest Impound would be San Fierro, thus things would get impounded there, but nothing is stored there, so I don't care. Is this correct? I am safe once I pass The Green Sabre? All I have left is Reuniting the Families and The Green Sabre in Los Santos, but I need the DP/EP/FP/MP Police, AP/EC2 Bravura, and AP Sentinel before leaving and passing them.

Edited by Militia

Fooking Rekt

I think you can use cars, as long as you ditch them in water or destroy them in another way. I've seen Fnxrak ditching cars in water on purpose so...

Lethal Vaccine

Well, you can even use cars right now if I wanted to, but yeah, I'd have to ditch them in the water. Big Smoke's House is right next to Grove Street so it was easy to run on foot to there for Just Business and back on foot once I passed it. It was also easy to run to the Gym, which is even closer to Ganton than Big Smoke's House. And Reuniting the Families as well as The Green Sabre are also right in the Ganton circle when you load up the game, so of course I won't need to take any Vehicles to these last 2 Los Santos Missions since they are right at Ganton. I just wonder about The Country Missions. Do Vehicles get impounded to Los Santos from The Country? Or do they get impounded to San Fierro? If all else fails, I will ditch the Vehicles in the water if I take them for Missions in The Country, but I hope I can quickly make it out of The Country with all the Special Vehicles I need and successfully make it to San Fierro, cuz then I KNOW nothing will overwrite my Los Santos Impound and I can keep it there easily until after I get the EC Black Maverick and buy the Airstrip to put the AP Packer inside the Hanger.

Edited by Militia

OrionSR

Ditching in water will not prevent impounding. Boat school and triathlons have no trouble impound sunken vehicles. However, destroying the vehicle (includes sinking) and not watching it should allow the garbage collection routines to remove the wreck fairly quickly.

Vehicles are impounded to the nearest impound garage regardless of regional boundaries. I would expect Angel Pine to impound to SF and all other Badlands missions to impound to LS.

Lethal Vaccine

So keep running on foot until I get to San Fierro, basically?

OrionSR

Running to the mission will not guarantee that random vehicles will not be impounded, but the risk is low for clear area commands with a small radius. It is always wise to use multiple save slots and double check the impounds before moving on. Rather than trying to avoid the mission trigger impounds, you could try to get your GoTo vehicle impounded and keep detailed notes of problematic missions and which are safe to drive to. IIRC, someone did that early in this topic.

Added: If you sink or wreck your vehicle and then look/wander away and return to see the vehicle/wreck has vanished you can be confident that vehicle will not be impounded. With practice you'll get a feel for when it's safe not to double check during the mission.

Edited by OrionSR

OG Viking

Didn't someone manage (by accident or purpose?) to impound one of the huge airplanes? I don't remember if it was an AT-400 or Andromada. Of course it would spawn with a small earthquake.

@Militia:

For missions that you start over and over again, prime example Just Business, it pays off to learn the radius of the clear area command. You can safely drive part of the distance and save a little time each time you go to the mission. If you are coming from Ganton and park your car beside the Ganton Gym, the clear area command won't touch your car. You can park with the Ganton Gym entrance door, but do not allow any part of the vehicle to be on the street that goes south-north. (A safety margin of a few feet is advised, other cars may push your parked car.)

Also be aware that bikes have problems with the SF impound, they spawn in the roof somewhere. So if there is just a tiny chance that you might want to use the SF impound later, don't drive bikes to missions that are impounding to SF. It may prove difficult to remove them from the impound.

Edit: Is this true? I have seen random bikes spawn normally in the SF impound, but I don't know if stored bikes spawn in a different way. Other players have reported that bikes have spawning issues there.

Edited by OG Viking

OrionSR

I don't remember for sure on PS2. Observing an absence of bikes in a flaky impound garage doesn't invoke a lot of confidence though. IIRC, you should be able to observe bikes above the ceiling of the impound garage but below the parking lot above by slipping through a gray hell hole with a jetpack and sneaking up on it from below and to the west.

And while you are down there, take a peek at the bribe hidden inside a building a little west of the fire station in Doherty. Changing the sign of the x-coordinate of that bribe places it perfectly above the broken bridge in Palomino Creek.

Edited by OrionSR

Lethal Vaccine

@OGViking, well I already passed Just Business since I acquired the EC Mutant BF-400, AP Packer, AP Sultan, and DP/EP/FP BF-400. There is nothing else to get from this Mission besides 3 EC Nebulas but I can't have those in this Save. I already don't have room the way it is. When I leave Los Santos WITHOUT the Police Car I will have 17. When I leave Los Santos WITH the Police Car, I would have 18. 16 in Los Santos, 1 in Impound, and 1 in Doherty. Getting 3 EC Nebulas won't work, since when I leave San Fierro, ALL Garages are filled with 4 in each. There is no room for some of these new discoveries...

Anyways, what I am trying to say is all I have left is Reuniting the Families and The Green Sabre, both of which are right at Sweet's House in Ganton, so I don't need to take any Cars since the red marker is right next to the Safehouse, lol

The Police is being a total douche as usual, though, so I won't be moving on anytime soon apparently...