3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

OrionSR

Care and Feeding of a San Andreas Impound Garage

OG Viking

In my previous game I often saw a Firetruck in the impound garage, but it didn't make sense to me because it was ages after I had used a Firetruck. And they don't tend to spawn randomly.

You say impounded by starting a mission, but abandoning a vehicle outside of missions is doing the same thing?

And all that non-sense about hugging the walls and looking through the walls at vehicle spawn isn't superstition.

I've tried that. I've tried to hug both the left and the right wall as I start to descend into the underground area. And I do try to aim the camera towards the "garage" all the time.

Edited by OG Viking

OrionSR

Sometimes a vehicle abandoned outside of a mission will get impounded, but not always. There isn't good reference for impounding by story missions. Usually players rely on specific missions with an identified clear area radius. Examples are the school missions (expect boat school on PS2v1), which have a very large clear area, triathlons (whole map), trucking (large), the car park at Emerald Isle (each floor), and a small area around the Broadway spawn at the carwash in Idlewood.

Frenzzy

Just wanted to say, I tried parking a Police Car directly in the LS impound garage zone, but it wasn't stored while another car was stored easily. Why did the police car not get impounded?

Logically I know it's strange for a police vehicle to get impounded

fnxrak
Why did the police car not get impounded?

Probably it would have been but from what you are describing the police car was replaced by a radom vehicle this happens usually when you enter or exit the impound without looking at the spot where the vehicle is. That's really the tricky part about impounds and most vehicles, only larger vehicles seem to be unaffected by this.

Frenzzy

On a random visit to SF Impound, this is what I saw:

user posted image

I wasn't even able to move them.

__mako

i was checking my sf impound garage, where i temporarily left my FI Sadler with default color from mission and EP/FP Jester with some random color found on streets. They were both gone and have been replaced by three vehicles i'm sure i didn't use in the meantime i had there unique cars, so i guess i experienced the impound glitch too...

However, what is weird is that i got impounded 2 helicopters ans a boat, normal Seasparrow and Maverick, but, correct me if i am wrong now, can you find a black Squalo anywhere? Because i have never seen a black one before, and today i found it in impound because of this weird glitch. I believe these vehicles got impounded from boat school which i have passed recently. They all have a spawn point nearby. Still, i thought there is no impound radius on PS2 for boat school.

This is what have i done inbetween placing proofed vehicles in SF impound and going to check them:

-i emptied contents of Doherty garage, because i wanted to store jealous gf proofed cars there, hence using sf impound via driving school, i checked it then, both vehicles were there

-i got all proofed cars from jealous girlfriends and dated Michelle, Katie and Millie to 100%, dumped Barbara and Helena while keeping jealous scripts active, btw i have 0% or like that with Denise on this save file, so she is about to dump me.

-i have glitched some turfs via the pomor maneuver, some in LS, some in LV

-i have cheated a few times when trying out some things with turfs, but didnt save

i have passed both boat school and bike school, bronze+ then i tried again i got silver+ and third time all golds

-i was also reorganising my garages and moving some vehicles

so my main question

can you actually find a black squalo in free roam?

If not, maybe exploring this glitch a bit more would lead to new unique vehicles inlove.gif

fnxrak

The boat school impounds vehicles to SFPD impound and the bike school impounds vehicles to the LVPD impound you may avoid this by getting vehicles out of the radius of these missions, but sometimes even parked vehicles that you didn't use get impounded.

Sorry to disapoint you but from the carcols.dat files info the black squalo is a common vehicle actually it's 1st color Carcols

__mako

oh, my bad, i just dont recall seeing a black squalo... Im keep thinking black color is somewhat unique since VC blush.gif

OG Viking

I have stored a Hydra in the SF police impound garage. I'm inexperienced with impound garages and I think the garage behaves strange. I have watched Youtube videos demonstrating how it works but I don't get the same result.

What I think is strange is that I can see random cars from a very far distance; from where CJ is supposed to trigger the invisible door. But I don't see the airplane from that distance, it first made me think I had lost it. But as I walk closer, about half-way, the Hydra spawns.

Same when I go back away from the garage. The Hydra "vanish" early, but the random cars are visible until I get very far away from the garage.

I have worked so hard to get the Hydra down here that I'm a bit paranoid about garage malfunctions.

fnxrak

Sometimes, not always a few cars 3 at max, show up at the impound but are not saved there is basically like they are parked there , strangely enough it seems they don't get impounded, so there should not be trouble with them, but you can do as I do to make sure I just take them out of that zone and then save the hydra.

If the hydra shows and disapears it seems you got. Remember that aircrafts tend not to get repalced as much as the cars, but I got it a few times that they were, so if you can store the hydra remember to leave and exit the impound always looking to the impound area, specially when you are climbing the impound ramp where the invisible gate is also triggered, that way you should not have any big trouble.

OG Viking

Thanks for the reply.

I have found out that the Seasparrow that I used as bait for the Hydra, is for some reason not despawning if CJ enter a few cars.

As you know the game only remembers the two last vehicles CJ used, vehicles he used before these two are likely to despawn if they get out of sight. But I found out that CJ can enter many cars in the impound and the Seasparrow is not despawning.

When I discovered this, it became easier to manage cars in the impound, CJ can enter several cars and move them out of the way without I losing my helicopter. Maybe aircrafts are kept in RAM for a longer time than cars, I don't know.

Luckily it is easy to keep the SF impound garage in "sight" because you just need to look a little to the left side when you head for the impound exit, and as you walk upwards the ramp, the garage is in front of you. I have much bigger problems with the LS impound.

As you understand I was lucky and got a Hydra stored there yesterday. At last! biggrin.gif I have spent days and countless of failed attempts.

So now I'm the lucky owner of a fighter jet? Nope! After I had stored the Hydra, CJ was hungry and I sent him to Well Stacked for some pizza. As I exited the restaurant, the game froze. mad.gifLesson: Never enter any restaurant during "Los Sepulcros" if you play PS2 v1. I remember it's not the first time the game freezes if CJ enter a restaurant during this mission.

fnxrak

Yeah that's too bad. The 3 times I got it I was always "crossing my toes", couldn't cross my fingers LOLOLOL, for the game not to crash or go back to windows or something like that, luckily it never did.

At least now you know it's possible.

OG Viking

I do have one Hydra stored and saved in the San Fierro impound. But I often have difficulties in fetching it.

In the majority of times, it does spawn, but sometimes it doesn't spawn (it probably spawns and despawns before I get to the garage).

There are almost always 4-6 random cars and usually the Hydra sits on top of at least two of them. I try various tactics to get rid of the cars, including walking back so the door can close, then walking closer so the door opens again and hopefully there are fewer cars.

One time I walked back for letting the door close, the Hydra vanished in plain sight while CJ still was near the garage. And that was not a wreck!

Someone have posted that the camera must face the garage when you descend the ramp, possibly all the way until you are in the garage. And someone have posted that they did not look in the direction of the garage because... I don't quite remember the explanation, but it had to do with random cars replacing the airplane when the garage shuts as you move around the corners.

Pretty much all of the advice I've read are in this thread and in the "Getting Hydra Early" thread, but the threads are so long that it's difficult to find specific information.

I've tried various ways (looking and not looking) but I don't see a clear pattern. It seems that I get random results. Maybe I'm too tired.

I'm using "Los Sepulcros" to fetch the Hydra. And I bring with me the two allies, they do the dirty work for me.

Edited by OG Viking

fnxrak

Ok in San Fierro it's actually often easy to make the hydra show up at the impound as Hydra and other aircrafts isn't replaced so often (at least in PC) the problem you are having with the few cars at the bottom of the impound I also got a few times but from what you are describing it seems to happen more often in the PS2, anyhow for any other type of vehicle you must always look to the direction of the garage itself not only on your way in but also on your way out. In case of San Fierro's impound the biggest problem is actually the 1st ramp next to the entrance once you are down you should not have problems with the hydra, but like I said "you should" not "you won't" from time it also happens to me that the hydra doesn't show because impounds can be very tricky, not unreliable as many people call them, the only thing is to basically know how they work and which missions and side-mission can trigger the impounding of a vehicle and the eventual replacing of the ones stored there.

Also you really don't need any mission to fetch the hydra from the impound as long as you can control it, most of the times i took it out of there there were no hydras spawning to shoot me down, and the cops very rarely attack you while on the impound, and even if they do it's usually only one vehicle so no much trouble. Then again it's much far easier to use the "Just Business" mission as an no police exploit rather than "Los Sepulcros", specially in the case of the rustler as this one if you store it in the impound you are definitely going to need an exploit to do it.

OG Viking

Thanks.

anyhow for any other type of vehicle you must always look to the direction of the garage itself not only on your way in but also on your way out.

If I understand correctly, it doesn't matter in what direction you look when the vehicle is an aircraft. But for cars you need to have the garage in view all the time. Confirm?

the biggest problem is actually the 1st ramp next to the entrance

But we are only talking about the one single indoor ramp? confused.gif

it's much far easier to use the "Just Business" mission as an no police exploit rather than "Los Sepulcros"

I've tried the "Just Business" exploit one time. I left only one or two enemies alive but Smoke died very soon. If I recall correctly, you get no wanted level so nothing will chase you.

fnxrak

It should not matter much but actually it does most times so you have to look behind when you descending the ramp and yes it's just one LOLOL don't know why I mentioned 1st actually.

The "Just Business" after getting out with smoke you have to be quick evading that area or smoke will eventually die or kill the russians ending or resuming the mission anyway both ways you loose the exploit, just kill one or even no russians and quickly leave the terrace zone. Then just avoid flying over there until you got the aircraft you want.

OG Viking

San Fierro impound rejects Seasparrow. WTF? confused.gif

I arrived SF impound to check up on my FP/EP Hydra, and I took my banged up Seasparrow down to the impound just to repair it. I arrive around the corner, the Hydra isn't there but I believe it despawned when I didn't look. I got distracted because the chopper was one dent from blowing up, and it was a storm so it was difficult to navigate (funny how storms are blowing indoor as well sigh.gif ) and I forgot to think about camera control. The only items in the garage was 4 motorcycles. I took them out of the garage zone and parked the Seasparrow in the garage, alone. The garage door would not close. I moved the chopper further inside, but it didn't help. The little chopper is well inside, what's going on? Why won't the garage close? I have "Gray Imports" running but that should not matter.

By the way, you guys have said that motorcycles will spawn above the garage ceiling. Perhaps that is a PC problem, the motorcycles spawned correctly on PS2. I also remember seeing motorcycles in the SF impound before, and there was no problem with them. Is it perhaps a random bug?

Added:

The motorcycles that I have found there were BF-400s and PCJs. All bike types are probably treated the same way though.

Added 2:

From the farthest position where the garage is visible, I take a look at my Seasparrow. I move towards the garage one last time, and the lost Hydra spawns!! This is so strange, the Hydra have had many chances to spawn and I was absolutely sure it was forever gone. And now it spawns!?!

I think the garage door must have closed and opened after all. But if it did close, the Seasparrow was visible through the door. And it was not repaired.

Edited by OG Viking

fnxrak

Weird I never had that with the seasparrow and I'm pretty sure I have done the exact same thing at the time and even with gray imports I can save cars in the garage.

I actually haven't tried saving motorcycles there because like you said there are reports on them spawning incorrectly. But maybe it's like choppers in LS impound sometimes they spwan halfway into the ground and if open and close the invisible gate they usually spawn correctly.

This is probably one of those suicidal.gif bugs that it's hard to explain.

OG Viking

San Fierro impound rejects Seasparrow.

San Fierro impound rejected my Hydra too. This is too much! angry.gif

After making the Hydra FP/EP, I parked it in the impound garage, removed all other vehicles (a bunch of bikes), and the garage would not close. I tried everything I could think of, which wasn't much, like removing the cop car that kept the main gate open, ran back and forth, but the door just would not close. I fired several RPGs up in the ceiling in case there was some bikes stuck there and interfered with the door, but there was no vehicle explosions. I went over to Red County and went back and checked the SF impound, the Hydra was not there.

This is a big deal, I laid down a lot of work (why it is an ordeal explained in the "early Hydra" topic). I was able to store the FP/EP Hydra that time, but the game was not saved. I would like to understand why the door refuses to close sometimes. Is this a known or an unknown problem?

To have a success after countless of fails and make it to the garage just to get beaten down like that, it is depressing.

PS2 v1

Edited by OG Viking

OrionSR

I don't think anyone else has described the same problems that you have. One thing that is somewhat related is that on PS2 the garages sometime refuse to open, but in my experience that is usually related to vehicles with custom parts from the mod shops, which I doubt is the problem here. I bring this up because since the door is invisible it would be difficult to determine if the problem is with opening or closing.

The other problem with doors closing is related to vehicles hanging over the border of the garage zone, which it sounds like you already thought of. I'm wondering if it would help to map the boundaries a little better.

How sure are you that bikes are spawned by the garage instead of placed by the six random car generators contained within the impound zone? Can you see them spawn as you approach the garage? Perhaps a gray hell glitch and jetpack might provide a method to view bikes spawned in the ceiling. I always used a teleporter on PC.

OG Viking

I appreciate your input.

On the trip from Ocean Docks to SF I stopped in El Corona to get a Towtruck. The El Corona garage door took more than a minute to open, perhaps two minutes. In that garage I have a Towtruck, Forklift, Greenwood and Savanna, they all have various proofings but none of them have ever been in a mod-shop. I guess it was a RAM issue, there weren't a lot of random vehicles nearby but there were a few mission vehicles at the warehouse. There were many pedestrians and I figure they need RAM too. It happens from time to time that garages are extremely slow to open, but this was record slow.

I have tested where the SF impound garage borders are, the garage will accept vehicles anywhere in between the left and right wall (when you look at the garage from where the door is), and the length of the left wall indicate how long the garage is. Of course the Hydra was placed well inside these borders, and I even moved it to make double sure. There was no other vehicles near the door. If there was an invisible bike in the ceiling it should have exploded when I fired RPGs.

Maybe next time I shall wait a few minutes and see if that impound door can be as slow to close as other doors can be slow to open. But I didn't consider it because the Hydra was alone, and also I think I have never seen any garage door close slowly.

It is likely that the bikes was spawned by the six random generators. Yesterday I tried to store one of the random bikes I found there, it was gone next time I opened the garage. I thought for a while that my game don't suffer from the glitch I've read about, but my test indicates that bikes only spawn correctly if they are generated by one of the six generators. I thought that the glitch would prevent any bike from spawning correctly, also the random ones. I don't remember the moment the bikes spawned.

Even things that are stored in the garage and not random spawns can sometimes pop up at different times, maybe a second apart.

In a few test runs, I have been down in the SF garage to fetch the Hydra but it didn't seem to be there. I was a few trips on the ground level and back down again and I was sure the plane was lost. Then suddenly it popped up. I guess that was a very slow door, I did take my time to run around in the garage, hoping that the Hydra had become invisible (a glitch I've read can happen to another vehicle). It's strange that you can walk into a garage that hasn't opened yet. It took me some time to understand the difference between random car generators and the actual content of the garage.

OrionSR

Just to be clear, although I'm sure you are aware, the impound garage zone doesn't have a door. References to the impound zone "door" opening or closing are an attempt to relate observations to what we can see happening with save garages.

The door to the impound lot is a different beast altogether. It is created and controlled by the impound lot scripts when CJ is near. There should be no relationship between the impound lot door, which is controlled by scripts, and the impound garage zone, which is controlled by the game engine.

I'm leaning towards thinking the problem is related to the zone door refusing to open. I've never noticed problems with doors closing unless a vehicle is straddling the zone boundaries, and it sounds like you are managing that correctly. It would certainly help to know exactly what is in the impound garage. IIRC, you have access to cheat code software. Can you export your save to PC and examine the garage contents with Ryosuke's save editor?

GTA:SA Save Game Editor v1.0 by Ryosuke: http://gtasamod.web.fc2.com/tool/sase/index.html

Bikes spawning in the ceiling might be causing trouble. I'm unsure if these are within the upper boundary of the impound zone. I'm also unsure if a rocket blast would be effective through the ceiling object. You should hear a secondary explosion when they are destroyed. However, the wrecks might cause the same problems as the intact bikes. I would think that the bikes would be easy to discard by not looking in their direction.

It might help to impound an Ambulance, or a Vortex if you don't mind cheating while you run a few tests. These vehicles, as well as aircraft and the Firetruck with the water cannon (but these are a bit large), are resistant to being discarded. The idea is to have a method to confirm that the garage zone is actually open.

OG Viking

When I say garage door, I mean the invisible door underground. I call the first door (ground level) main gate. I'm not sure what the garage zone is, so I don't use that term. But I guess it's the wider area around the garage. I'm also unsure what the impound lot is, so i don't use that term either. English isn't my strongest side haha. I know a lot is a place where cars can be parked, but I don't know if the whole parking area is the lot, or if each car is parked in their own little lot.

I'm leaning towards thinking the problem is related to the zone door refusing to open.

Bingo! (Hopefully...) If the door didn't open in the first place it can of course not close. But the garage ought to be empty so it's strange if it's that slow to open. I was inside the radius where it should be triggered for some time.

I don't have access to any cheat software or devices, all the cheating I do are button codes. I have no experience or knowledge about such advanced cheating, but I can learn if I have to.

Maybe cheating software isn't even needed here? If I type the code for blowing up all vehicles, any bikes in the ceiling should explode? Unless they are so sealed off that they are not even loaded into RAM. I can spawn a Jetpack too, if it let me see things.

I believe a rocket blast in the ceiling have blown up police cars outside, but I can check this by parking a car. If a car outside will blow up, then a bike inside the structure should blow up too. Explosions works through brick walls so why not through the roof. Rockets creates fire too.

There was no secondary explosions so no bike exploded.

If I have more to add I'll edit this post.

ADDED: I have now stored a FP/EP Hydra and the impound garage worked fine. I don't know if it made a difference, but this time I blew up all mission vehicles around the Gray Imports warehouse. Also my own El Corona garage opened much faster.

Edited by OG Viking

OG Viking

I'm leaning towards thinking the problem is related to the zone door refusing to open.

Bingo! (Hopefully...) If the door didn't open in the first place it can of course not close. But the garage ought to be empty so it's strange if it's that slow to open. I was inside the radius where it should be triggered for some time.

I'm having the same problem again, I try to store a FP/EP Rustler in SF impound garage. But this time I can tell that the garage is open because my Hydra is visible. But I can not make the door close. I took out the Rustler to check if the door would close with only one vehicle there, but it made no difference.

When I was able to store the Hydra, I had blew up all Gray Imports mission vehicles, this time I only blew up the two big vans outside the warehouse. But it was enough to easily open safehouse garages, and the impound garage opened easily too. Closing a garage isn't adding vehicles to memory so I don't see how this can be caused by resource limitations.

I used the code for blowing up all vehicles, and now the garage door works.

OrionSR, was it you who said that it is possible to have a look above the ceiling with a Jetpack? I spawned a Jetpack but I don't find a way to the hidden interior.

Added:

This impound drives me insane. Finally the garage was willing to close after I parked the Rustler there beside the Hydra (I had made sure to blow up all 4 mission vehicles around the Gray Imports warehouse). After the door had closed, I opened it again to confirm that both planes were there, but only the Hydra spawned. Nothing else. And when the garage had deleted my Rustler, it refused to close again. As if it just had to make sure I lose both planes eh?

Do PS2 players use the impound garages? I start to wonder if they are only useful on PC. sad.gif

Edited by OG Viking

buginafug

Yeah, the impounds work on both the PS2 and PC, but I haven't tried the Xbox version. Also for those who want to try something daring, the AT-400 CAN be impounded, but only in San Fierro, and it explodes in about 20 seconds, probably because of its immense size.

OG Viking

Finally the garage would accept both my planes. I don't know what is random and what is caused by my actions, but this is how I did it:

- Blew up all four mission vehicles (two vans, two Forklifts) outside the Gray Imports warehouse.

- When I arrived the SF impound with my FP/EP Rustler, I ran down and moved the Hydra (my only vehicle in the garage) out of the garage. This because I have several times lost the Hydra before I could save the Rustler there. It has been said that airplanes are immune from being replaced by vehicles from the random vehicle generators, but I question how reliable this immunity is. I have many times found my airplanes replaced by random vehicles. Many times.

- With the Hydra in safety outside the garage, I went up to get the Rustler and drove it down in the garage, and placed the Hydra inside the garage as well.

The garage door closed easily, and opened easily again. Both planes spawned. I went to a safehouse and saved the game, went back and verified that both planes are saved in the impound.

AT-400 CAN be impounded, but only in San Fierro, and it explodes in about 20 seconds, probably because of its immense size.

Is there a reliable method of impounding AT-400 or is it down to chance? Lol I would like to see one impounded.

fnxrak
It has been said that airplanes are immune from being replaced by vehicles from the random vehicle generators, but I question how reliable this immunity is. I have many times found my airplanes replaced by random vehicles. Many times.

Is there a reliable method of impounding AT-400 or is it down to chance? Lol I would like to see one impounded.

Just Want to clear something, I never said it was immune to being replaced I always said it's less likely to be replaced. Anyway impounds are really tricky I can save vehicles (cars) in all garages without loosing, but for some freaking reason not all the time sometimes they just vanish, the same with the aircrafts. But for some reason they seem to need less careful when entering and exiting the impounds.

Probably the best way is to fly the AT-400 to the Boat school and enter one of the challenges, it should be impounded to SF.

OG Viking

It has been said that airplanes are immune from being replaced by vehicles from the random vehicle generators, but I question how reliable this immunity is. I have many times found my airplanes replaced by random vehicles. Many times.

Just Want to clear something, I never said it was immune to being replaced I always said it's less likely to be replaced. Anyway impounds are really tricky I can save vehicles (cars) in all garages without loosing, but for some freaking reason not all the time sometimes they just vanish, the same with the aircrafts. But for some reason they seem to need less careful when entering and exiting the impounds.

Probably the best way is to fly the AT-400 to the Boat school and enter one of the challenges, it should be impounded to SF.

I didn't suggest you had said that, it could have been anyone because I don't remember. I could also be mixing it up with immunity from being discarded from memory while it (an airplane) is outside of the garage.

As for storing cars in impound garages, the only impound I have been able to use is the LV impound. In LS the cars will get lost 100% of the time, SF works only somewhat better for me. The problem with LS is perhaps that I'm not good enough at camera control, but camera control is easy in SF. I think the problem with SF is all the random cars spawning, there are almost always 4-6 and usually 5 or 6 if I don't have any airplanes there. On rare occasions only 3 spawns, and the least I've ever seen is 2.

According to the first post in this thread, boat school won't impound vehicles on PS2. But other side missions works.

fnxrak

Again like I said the impounds are not easy to use at all, although I agree with you LV and SF can be quite eaier than LS that one can be a nightmare sometimes. About the random cars appearance it might be a PS2 specific feature that they show up so often, in the PC only happened to me a copule of times, but also can be the result of the bad handling of the camera which is a lot harder on the PS2/PS3.

Sorry forgot about the boat school exploit not working for the PS2 version, but yes there are other methods to impound vehicles there although I was only able with some story-missions, but surely there are other side-missions.