OrionSR

Care and Feeding of a San Andreas Impound Garage

OG Viking

Thank you fnxrak for the Emerald tip.

Sorry OG , I just read your comment. I could've helped you earlier.. :/

Yes, Raindance fits everywhere :)

Leviathan fits in SF and LV :)

Hydra fits everywhere.

Ive got Hydra, Leviathan and Police Maverick stored in LV. I can get em all out. You got to work Hydra out as you work the Rustler out of SF. Push the body a bit, push the wing a bit et.c. When you finally unlock LV you can transfer the planes you want to fly regularly to VM Hangar.

And yes, Leviathan and Cargobob has a nasty habit of getting stuck with the tail in the wall. On PS2 i solved it like this: removed all vehicles near Leviathan. Then get in the Leviathan and hold left analog stick down/left while holding X-button (gas) and L2 (turns the chopper) . Now the tail hopefully gets unstuck from the wall.

Good Luck ! :)

Entering an aircraft that is stuck in a wall or a floor seems very risky so it never occurred to me that it was a good idea. Thanks for the tip. Maybe being stuck in a wall isn't causing as much damage as I think? But being stuck in a car will make things blow up, that happened to my EP/FP Rustler at SF.

I got a Hydra in (LV) by pushing it, but the problem is that out is uphill. My CJ was not strong enough, but maybe more muscles and fat helps. I pushed and pushed without getting anywhere, and the Hydra blew up.

I think I'll store smaller vehicles in the LV impound. I hope I won't have to remove my Hydra from SF, and if I must remove it, LS seems like a better option.

How reliable is the LV impound anyway? I've never seen random cars there, still it ate one of my Towtrucks. It was not replaced by other vehicles, the garage was empty. Maybe the invisible door opened when I was on the ramp up to the level above? I did look at the Towtruck until the door closed. I can't see if it opens when driving on the ramp/corridor between floors.

Edited by OG Viking

OG Viking

I have an issue with the LS impound. Cars are being impounded and when I remove it some other car seem to be impounded. I have two helicopters stored there and I want to keep the third slot free so I don't risk losing a helicopter.

Are gang wars impounding cars? I can't think of anything else that could have impounded them.

I got a brown Bravura impounded, and when I removed it a blue Club got impounded, but the Club could not possibly have been impounded by gang wars.

I know there's a random car generator but these two cars didn't look random. I reloaded and found the brown Bravura many times, and the blue Club two or three times.

Lethal Vaccine

Gang Wars seemed to delete Vehicles from my Garages in my previous SA Save I did in May 2014. I am not saying it's FOR SURE Gang War problems, but it just seems SA has a tendency to get glitchy during Gang Wars and at the end of the Game with Riots, etc...

But you see, anyone playing on PC has the ability to back their Save up within a second...Always have a backup....Thus NO Vehicles will be lost. When you want to make a new backup, reload and check on ALL your Vehicles. If they are there, then make a new backup, etc...Do that until the end, and you will NEVER lose a Vehicle PERMANENTLY.

I don't play PC, but I just make backups on a USB Drive since my PS3 has a USB Port, etc...

Edited by Militia

OG Viking

When you say deleted from garages, do you mean impound garages? When safe-house garages eat vehicles it's almost always because the garage door was open when you didn't look in its direction. Some or all garages can open if you fly over them, but I don't know anything about altitude. But now back to impounds...

Most cars in gang areas are typical gang cars, but AFAIK I never got a gang car impounded. Bravura can appear everywhere, but Club is not a car normally seen in Idlewood where the wars took place.

If a gang war impounds cars, I guess it happens at the moment the war is triggered. Or maybe it is cars left behind that are impounded after the war has begun.

I use several save slots so I can go back if something goes wrong. I consider doing it in this case and I'll lose less than 1 hour of gameplay if I go back. But I'd have to conquer those turfs again which perhaps will result in another impounded car. (I'm not conquering a lot of land, only enough to get a safe passage between Ganton and Little Mexico.)

Backups: I can make backup on PS2 too, I've got several memory cards. But it's of course easier on PC.

Edited by OG Viking

OG Viking

I'm having spawning problems in the San Fierro Impound garage. (PS2)

My Hydra have some problems with spawning, and my Rustler is even worse.

When the garage appears empty, I destroy all the cop cars, then a randomly impounded Greenwood pops up. I destroy the Greenwood then the Hydra pops up. But in order to make the Rustler pop up, I have to destroy the Hydra or the Raindance I just brought here.

Before all stored vehicles spawns, the invisible door won't close. So I can't just leave and hope everything will be fine.

This is not a random problem, it happens every time I try to store the Raindance there. I have tried a good number of times.

I thought it was a result of limited RAM, but I'm not so sure after a test I did:

I cheat spawned 9 - NINE - vehicles in the impound. The game found enough memory to spawn all those. So why could it not spawn the Rustler?

Of course after I blew up all those 9 cars, the Rustler spawned. It's so annoying.

I'm doing this in the 'High Stakes, Low-Rider' mission. This is because the PS2 version have a lot of random car generators in the SF Impound lots, usually 3-4 (or even 5-6) cars spawns there. (That's how the Greenwod was stored btw.)

In order to prevent storing random cars I have to use a mission that makes less cars spawn. The High Stakes race is such a mission, it has 6 cars but I destroy 4 of them, leaving only Cesar's and CJ's car in RAM. There are also the 4 racers without a car, but I doubt they use a lot of RAM as idle pedestrians.

Edited by OG Viking

OrionSR

I had a limited amount of success reducing the random spawns in the SF impound by arriving quickly and keeping the impound zone in view while approaching the general area. The idea was to make the game think CJ is watching the spawn locations so it won't risk something popping into view. I figure once CJ is within the lot he's too close for random parked cars to appear.

Is there a chance your missing vehicle has spawned but isn't visible? I remember the Dune in the LVPD impound tended to spawn invisible until touched.

OG Viking

Looking in the direction of the garage all the time might help, I don't remember if I did. I have made it a rule to always be in a mission that reduce traffic when I visit the SF Impound, so I limit the car spawns that way.

The random cars will spawn when I look at them, but I have to be far away; about one car length farther away than necessary to let the door close. If the radius is a circle I should be able to prevent the random cars by hugging the inner wall.

Was it you that posted a map of the LS Impound, with the zone that keeps the invisible door open? It would be nice to know how far away I can go before the SF impound door closes. I know it opens at the bottom of the ramp, but can you move around the bends without it closing?

I did one time collide with an invisible vehicle (a helicopter I think) in one of the Impounds, so I do check for that when something isn't spawning.

I just had some better luck and the Rustler spawned. I had to destroy my getaway car too. But I'll have to do it over again because I ran into an accident on my way back home...

The High Stakes mission is ideal if I just can make the impounded airplanes spawn. It limits random car spawns, it also removes almost all traffic so I can tow the Raindance from the LS impound to the SF impound in one go. It's a fast ride when there's almost no traffic, faster than flying the fat clunker. Jumping over at Flint Intersection is a bit tricky, it's usually a rainstorm when I'm at that point. Funny how the weather is "scheduled" ahead, even after a save point...

Edited by OG Viking

OG Viking

How is the game determining the "age" of the vehicles stored in an impound garage? In this example let's use a Pony, a Nebula and a Bullet, and they were stored in that order. So far it's really simple. But what if the Bullet was not the last car CJ had entered?

I believe the last car CJ entered is treated as the newest car regardless of how old it really is, but I'm not sure.

When the above is sorted out, in which order will the cars be deleted if the game auto-impounds more cars?

I apologize for asking, I could run a series of tests but I've got only one good hand at the moment.

OrionSR

I don't think anyone knows how the game determines which vehicles to discard as new impounds are added. There doesn't appear to be any timer information stored with the vehicle records, or any room where a timer could be hidden. My best guess would be that slot 1 is discarded if the garage is full, slot 2 becomes 1, slot 3 becomes 2, and the new vehicle is added in slot 3.

Do the impounds always spawn each slot in the same spot, or some other predictable pattern. Do the spawn spots jump around as cars are added to an empty impound? I wonder how opening and closing a garage affects the sequence. Can vehicles be manually placed or moved to a specific slot?

There aren't many tools that car read the impounds since many of the garage editors were written long before we figured out what the impounds were all about. SASE is the only thing I know of that is user friendly. Note that the coordinates of an impounded car will be wherever is was when it was impounded, unless you open and close the impound.

OG Viking

Do the impounds always spawn each slot in the same spot, or some other predictable pattern. Do the spawn spots jump around as cars are added to an empty impound? I wonder how opening and closing a garage affects the sequence. Can vehicles be manually placed or moved to a specific slot?

As I'm sure you know, the slots don't move around they are tied to a physical spot. It's a bit annoying that your vehicles don't spawn where you left them, it would have made the impounds more easy to use. And it would have made it possible to store the biggest helicopters in the smaller impound garages without the tail being stuck in the wall.

I have observed that older aircrafts didn't change slot when a new vehicle was added, but I don't know if it's always true. I have two helicopters in the LS impound, and any 3rd impounded vehicle is always added to slot 3.

And in the SF impound which is full of random car generators, the random cars may spawn right under/inside the aircrafts. So any saved vehicles don't seem to have any influence on the car generators.

I think it's impossible to avoid the SF impound garage door from closing-opening-closing as you leave on foot, I'm not sure what it does if you leave by car and hug the walls. I suspect the same with the LV impound.

This is easy to avoid in Los Santos and you don't even need to hug the wall. Just manage the camera angle and you're fine.

My experience with aircrafts in the SF impound garage is a bit confusing. I have in the past made a couple of attempts on storing aircrafts in a specific slot, but the garage had rearranged them next time I came back. I did try to vary the order in which CJ entered them but I didn't figure out how it worked. In SF, I think save slot 1 is on the right side when facing the garage. In slot #1 I always find the Rustler, and it seems random if the Raindance or the Hydra is in slot 2 or 3.

Also while I only had the Hydra and the Rustler, the Rustler usually had slot 1.

I obtained and stored them in this order: Hydra, Rustler, Raindance. I'm not sure in which order they've been entered.

LS impound garage, from left to right:

Parking space #1: Random car generator, not a save slot.

Parking space #2: Save slot 1 (or 2?).

Parking space #3: Always empty. No random cars, no saved cars.

Parking space #4: Save slot 2 (or 1?)

Parking space #5: Always empty. No random cars, no saved cars.

Parking space #6: Save slot 3.

I'm a bit unsure if there are 5 or 6 spaces, if there are only 5 then slot 3 is in space #5.

Added:

The LV impound garage: There are no marked parking spaces, but slot 1 is in the back closest to the wall, and I would guess that slot 3 is closest to the door.

The 3rd vehicle I stored (and also the last vehicle CJ had entered), spawned in the middle. The first vehicle CJ had entered spawned closest to the door, not in slot 1 as one could expect.

I'm on PS2 v2, I know PC is a bit different.

Edited by OG Viking

OrionSR

The impound spots aren't exactly tied to a particular location. It just seems that way since your garage zones don't move. The vehicles are placed within the zone; the coordinates of a newly impounded vehicle are from where it was when impounded. The garage zone will place the vehicles for you. When I was testing the impounds I moved an unused garage to the gully off Ganton. If I applied the garage type of an impound those vehicles would spawn in either location. If I move or rotate a garage zone the impounded vehicles move or rotate as expected. I can't remember now, but I think if I make a garage zone wider the vehicles are spawned farther apart.

Aircraft, Vortex, Firetruck, and... something else seem immune to being discarded. I wouldn't be surprised if this property is messing with your results.

I've had reasonable success reducing the number of random cargens in the impounds by approaching quickly while keeping the impound zone squarely in the center of the screen. It's the opposite of the Indestructible Firetruck trick. The gargens don't like to spawn when CJ is looking right at them.

I think I finally managed to enter the SF impound without opening the door once using a jetpack. I remember using a dumper without success. The trick is to stay high enough above the impound roof to avoid it's opening as CJ descends the ramp. The LV impound is the easiest to manage. Hug the outside wall and the door never opens.

I would think if the door opens and closes then the contents are the same as a manually placed vehicle. How are you determining your slots?

FYI: I forget how normal impounds work sometimes. I changed mine; lowered the ceiling in SF to make entering without opening possible and nudged the floor so bikes can be impounded normally, moved the zones away from the cargens, and rotated LV so it faces forward. I gave up on the duplicate impound zone idea. It's too hard to place one someplace where it can't be opened accidentally, and almost any added impound tends to steal impounds from every other zone.

Edited by OrionSR

Lethal Vaccine

@Orion, how reliable would you say the Impounds would be if lets say I wanted to store just ONE Helicopter inside them? I know advanced players who use them store 3 items in each, but I am not advanced when it comes to the Impounds. However, I always wanted an EP/FP Police Maverick and an EP/FP News Maverick. I'd probably not re-do my PS2 Save anymore since I got basically everything I want, but it is possible in the far future. Perhaps I should try and use the Impounds a little bit and start with storing 1 to see how they work, etc...

VY C M

Deleted Post

Edited by 7 day survivor

OG Viking

LS impound garage, from left to right:

Parking space #1: Random car generator, not a save slot.

Parking space #2: Save slot 1 (or 2?).

Parking space #3: Always empty. No random cars, no saved cars.

Parking space #4: Save slot 2 (or 1?)

Parking space #5: Always empty. No random cars, no saved cars.

Parking space #6: Save slot 3.

I'm a bit unsure if there are 5 or 6 spaces, if there are only 5 then slot 3 is in space #5.

I was wrong, there are only 4 marked parking spaces in the LS impound garage:

Parking space #1: Always empty. No random cars, no saved cars.

Parking space #2: Random car generator, not a save slot.

Parking space #3: Save slot 1 (or 2?) spawns here.

Parking space #4: Save slot 2 (or 1?) spawns here.

Area near the right side corner (not a marked parking space): Save slot 3 spawns here.

The impound spots aren't exactly tied to a particular location. It just seems that way since your garage zones don't move. The vehicles are placed within the zone; the coordinates of a newly impounded vehicle are from where it was when impounded. The garage zone will place the vehicles for you.

It must be a misunderstanding here. When I say that each save slot is tied to a location in the garage, I mean that the stored vehicle spawns at a fixed spot. Not like in a normal garage where the vehicle spawns exactly where you left it.

I know nothing about the coordinates, I can't access the data. I have to see a vehicle with my eyes in order to know it's there.

Aircraft, Vortex, Firetruck, and... something else seem immune to being discarded. I wouldn't be surprised if this property is messing with your results.

In the SF impound I have only aircrafts stored, would my results get messed up when all vehicles have the same properties? Maybe it would.

But in the LV impound where I experimented the other day, I don't have vehicles with discarding immunity (a Towtruck, a Dozer, and a Dune).

Speaking of discard immunity, my Raindance DID despawn inside the SF impound garage while I was there. I was there to check on the vehicles, and I left CJ standing there idle. When I picked up the game and turned CJ around several minutes later, only the Hydra and Rustler was there. CJ was barely outside of the "garage" so he was very near the aircrafts. But he was not looking at them.

I would think if the door opens and closes then the contents are the same as a manually placed vehicle. How are you determining your slots?

FYI: I forget how normal impounds work sometimes. I changed mine; lowered the ceiling in SF to make entering without opening possible and nudged the floor so bikes can be impounded normally, moved the zones away from the cargens, and rotated LV so it faces forward. I gave up on the duplicate impound zone idea. It's too hard to place one someplace where it can't be opened accidentally, and almost any added impound tends to steal impounds from every other zone.

I observe where the first vehicle spawns when it's alone there. Then I observe where the second vehicle spawns, then the third.

Lol also I forget how things work sometimes. It can be because it's been too long, or it can be that I've experimented with so many different ways of doing something that I forget how it worked after not playing for some months.

@Orion, how reliable would you say the Impounds would be if lets say I wanted to store just ONE Helicopter inside them? I know advanced players who use them store 3 items in each, but I am not advanced when it comes to the Impounds. However, I always wanted an EP/FP Police Maverick and an EP/FP News Maverick. I'd probably not re-do my PS2 Save anymore since I got basically everything I want, but it is possible in the far future. Perhaps I should try and use the Impounds a little bit and start with storing 1 to see how they work, etc...

I know you didn't ask me, but I have my two cents.

You can only lose vehicles in two ways:

1) By opening the invisible door. You typically lose a vehicle when you enter or leave the impound garage. Random car generators are a problem in the SF impound on PS2 because they are so many. When lots of cars spawn and the garage is open, the game will think all those vehicles are in the garage. And when the garage door closes, only three vehicles are saved. One could think that the aircraft RAM immunity would help here, but in my experience it doesn't help. Yes the aircraft don't get discarded from RAM while you are there, but that doesn't mean it's being saved in the garage if too many random cars pop up. RAM immunity is not the same as garage immunity.

And of course, normal vehicles without RAM immunity will soon be discarded if you don't keep them in view.

2) By impounding vehicles, the fourth impounded vehicle will replace one of the older ones. Aircrafts are very resistant against discarding, but I have made the impound garage discard helicopters by impounding normal cars. I think that immunity against being discarded from RAM is not the same as immunity from being replaced.

One interresting thing in LV Impound: I got a Hydra, Police Maverick and a Leviathan down there. If you stand on top of the Leviathan (on rudder) and jump off to other aircraft the aircraft switch places with each other.

Im trying to collect some Hydras in a cop/military save file and Im a little confused about why it disappears sometimes and not. On several occations it has dissapeared when an obstacle has been on the exact same spot on ground level. (I put the red marker where my Hydra dissapeared, and when I checked the ground level I got my Sea sparrow there, or a cop standing there. It may just be a coincidence but thats what happened.

And I also get very lucky with Hydras crashing near Impound door when parked by a tree near the broken bridge.

That sounds very strange. They swap place the moment you jump off the Leviathan? I'm surprised CJ can get on top of it, the ceiling isn't very high and a Leviathan is tall.

The street level is two floors above the LV impound garage, I can't imagine something on ground level interfering with the garage. But I don't know so I leave this for someone who knows the garage zones and mechanics much better than me.

Edited by OG Viking

VY C M

Deleted Post

Edited by 7 day survivor

OrionSR

I wonder if the invisible door is closing and opening as you make your jump. Can you play around with a jetpack to see what you can learn about the impound zone ceiling height?

Edited by OrionSR

VY C M

Deleted Post

Edited by 7 day survivor

OG Viking

I did some testing a while back with Jetpack in the LV impound, and I got the same result. Cars would disappear and reappear, so what happens is that the garage close because you're higher up than the Z tolerance.

LS impound is too small to be suited for planes and big choppers. What happens if you use a towtruck on a stuck helicopter?

Or two Towtrucks at the same time? It's not logical that a chain with two towtrucks will help, but the game mechanics isn't always logical.

VY C M

Deleted Post

Edited by 7 day survivor

OG Viking

About Emerald Isle carpark Impound method in LV:

having trouble impounding tall/large aircraft/vehicles early? No problem, as I figured out that you dont even have to enter the parking lot at all. I just placed, for example the tall Cargobob at the big opening at the carpark, pushed it a bit, so it was placed sideways. Then I looked at it while running away from it.

It disappears and get stored at LV Impound. Easy.

It did? I have tried that with some Hydras and they were deleted, not impounded. I believe I tried with some Leviathans too. But I tried hard to get them as far inside as possible, maybe they are more likely to be deleted when they are squeezed in between the floors.

VY C M

Deleted Post

Edited by 7 day survivor

OG Viking

Do they sometimes get impounded if they are vanishing in plain sight? Or only if you move up one floor?

When I tested this many months ago, I expected I they would only be impounded when I ran one floor up, so when they did get deleted in several tests, I probably stopped checking the impound each time the plane vanished right in front of me.

If they may get impounded also when they vanish right in front of me, it is possible I have had an aircraft impounded without knowing it.

Edit

Towtrucks are easy to get over to LV. Undrown it at the nice spot north of Palomino Creek, and drive on the sea floor under the railway bridge. Continue in a east-northeastern direction, you should get inside the 4 star restricted area a little bit before it goes downhill to very deep waters. Continue down the black deep and you suddenly will fall down on the nearest road in LV. Sometimes on foot, but very often in your vehicle.

Edited by OG Viking

OrionSR

It's not so much "move up one floor" as leave the box that is transcribed over each floor. When CJ is in the box the vehicles will spawn, and when he leaves the box the area is cleared. Since the garage is arranged like a stack of boxes changing floors creates the illusion of a full garage as you leave the top and enter the bottom of the next box. You can also enter and exit the boxes on the side, like the entrance and a great window on the 4th floor with a roof that lets CJ safely wiggle back and forth and watch the cars appear and disappear until a bike suitable for 4-starring spawns. A little practice with that should make it a lot easier to impound aircraft at the entrance. You just need a feel for where the boxes are. The spawn detection box appears to be about the same as the clear area radius (which I doubt is round), but not quite. There's never any harm in using cheats or old saves to measure out your current objectives.

If the aircraft despawns in response to being touched, pushed, hitting a wall, or obstructing a door then it probably didn't get impounded. If the vehicle is at rest and despawns in response to CJ's position then it probably got impounded, maybe... hopefully. It's hard to tell if a movement or pushing made it disappear.

Edited by OrionSR

VY C M

Deleted Post

Edited by 7 day survivor

OG Viking

@Orion: That explains a few things.

@7 day: I know where the recommended route from LS to LV is, but I have never used it so I don't know any details about the difficulties there. I found my own route by randomly exploring the sea floor, and it have worked so well that I have only used this route. When CJ spawns on land he is in the vehicle in about 50% of the time, and I alos make some incredible stunts when I'm teleported.

Some vehicles were a bit more difficult than others, but I'm unsure if it's random or if their size/speed makes it harder to teleport. I failed several times before I got my Dozer teleported, other vehicles teleported on the first try. On average the success rate is about 50/50.

DragonpokeZ

If I get a Shamal and turn it to FP/EP, which impound is the best to store it, LS, LV, or SF? And how do I get it in that impound?

OG Viking

I'm pretty sure a Shamal is far too wide for LS and LV. I think you will get stuck in the narrow ramps.

I believe the SF ramp is wide enough, but you will have to push it through the very narrow passage where the first guard is. I'm not sure how hard that will be, it's easy with a Rustler, difficult with a Hydra wreck.

Edited by OG Viking

DragonpokeZ

Well that was promising :/

How about a Rustler in LS/LV? I seriously want nothing to do with the SF Impound

DragonpokeZ

Yes, it was the 1 hour + long video on Youtube of him talking about maximizing storage in SA and this is where I saw what he did and heard him say verbally what he was doing, and that did NOT work for me. I just swiveled the camera to the general location where the Packer would be sitting in the Impound and kept it on it going slowly down the incline and around the walls to where it would be and I finally saw it. But if and only if I was looking at the Packer the entire time from the moment I entered inside the Impound when I run past the second guard in the booth.

Ok, my AP Packer is sitting on the yellow striped lines, all the way on the right hand side. There is 3 other cars to the left of it, though, with a gap between the one vehicle on the far left. Does that mean I have to remove these before I continue doing anything? I've never left an Impound successfully, either. Only entered, and only Los Santos. Never tried San Fierro or Las Venturas yet and if I can wait and use Doherty, I think I will...

So what you are saying is I should run on foot everywhere I go while still in Los Santos? How do I get the Police Car now that something is in the Impound? Any effects? How do I use Vigilante Police Bike to steal Rare Vehicles to put in the Garages to make EP/FP in Gray Imports? None of these Vehicles will go to the Impound? It's only traffic Vehicles I drive that get impounded?

Well, if it fits in Doherty like DragonPokeZ has said, then I only have 15 more Story Missions to go in Los Santos. I hope everything will work out. Using Impounds seems to complicate the game and make it even slower...

Yeah, I'd imagine the Packer BARELY fits in Doherty, but since this Save is not where I am going for tons of Special Vehicles, Doherty is free for sure. I won't be using it for anything else...The main Special Vehicles I want to obtain in this Save is simply the AP Packer, AP Sultan, DP/EP/FP BF-400, DP/EP/FP/MP Police, and EC White Camper. Other than these 5, I don't really care and there is nothing else, tbh. But to make the Save worthwhile and to be able to expand and have a decent Save and collection, I will get the EP Mule from Robbing Uncle Sam and the FP/EC Remington (maybe even the FP Majestic and FP Blade as well) from High Stakes, Low Rider and a bunch of EP/FP Vehicles from Vigilante and such. I usually do these sorts of Saves on Mobile, but I like it to be on PS2 as I prefer playing on PS2 with a physical Controller and not Touch Screens. I won't do any Mobile Save after this PS2 Save, then. Perhaps if I did one, it would be in the very far future and I would try and get all Special Vehicles, but this time on Mobile just to see if I can do it. It's easy on PS2 for me, but not on Mobile.

Shifting this discussion to the Impound topic, before a mod says something

Here's a few Impounding guidelines:

• Only vehicles CJ drives can be Impounded, glitches notwithstanding
  • You can avoid Clear Area commands by running everywhere, riding on top of traffic cars, or parking your cars far away/ditching them on water before the mission.
  • Check the Impound after every mission and remove any unwanted cars, including random spawns. Kind of like in VCS, PSP Version.
  • Before entering the Impounds, enter the LSPD HQ (without holding any weapons of course). Usually, if this is done, no random cars will spawn in the Impound's garage zone
  • Move unwanted cars to the wall that's the farthest from the zone where the cars spawn.
  • For God's sake ALWAYS keep the camera on the Packer. Point it away from it for 2 seconds and you can kiss it goodbye. Kind of like the AP Fire Truck.
  • Move the Packer out of the Impound ASAP
  • If you really wanted to mess with undrowning glitches, you could bring the Packer over to the LV Impound. Check out rubregg's basic 4-star survival guide and OrionSR's advanced 4-star survival guide. It will really help out with all the undrowning and 4-star survival business.

OG Viking

I first posted this response to Militia in the PROOFED & RARE topic, but I'm moving it here where it belongs.

Yes, it was the 1 hour + long video on Youtube of him talking about maximizing storage in SA and this is where I saw what he did and heard him say verbally what he was doing, and that did NOT work for me. I just swiveled the camera to the general location where the Packer would be sitting in the Impound and kept it on it going slowly down the incline and around the walls to where it would be and I finally saw it. But if and only if I was looking at the Packer the entire time from the moment I entered inside the Impound when I run past the second guard in the booth.

You will get away with jam8tone's way of doing it if you only have memory-resistant vehicles (Firetruck, Ambulance, Vortex, and aircrafts) stored in the impound, anything else will unspawn quickly.

Ok, my AP Packer is sitting on the yellow striped lines, all the way on the right hand side. There is 3 other cars to the left of it, though, with a gap between the one vehicle on the far left. Does that mean I have to remove these before I continue doing anything? I've never left an Impound successfully, either. Only entered, and only Los Santos. Never tried San Fierro or Las Venturas yet and if I can wait and use Doherty, I think I will...

You got three vehicles stored in the impound, the fourth is a random spawn that did not load as a stored vehicle (but it might end up as a stored vehicle unless you move it out).

Four vehicles in the garage is a big problem, when the door closes one of them will be deleted. Only keep your desired vehicles there, move out everything else. The garage is not long, you can find its size by parking a vehicle and walk towards the wall in the South while looking at the vehicle. The door will close when you are at the Southern wall.

Park all unwanted vehicles outside the garage.

Be aware that if the Packer spawns in one of the other parking slots, it may be stuck in that stupid rear pillar. Normal Packers that spawns in the pillar will get destroyed in a few seconds, but I guess the AP Packer won't take damage. It may still be completely stuck though. The solution if this happens, is impound another vehicle and make the Packer spawn in another parking slot.

When you leave the impound it may actually make sense to hug the inner wall. This is because the random vehicle generator may spawn a vehicle when you move far away from it, even if you are looking at the generator and the garage is still open.

Don't blow up the unwanted cars, because the more vehicles that are in memory outside of the garage, the less likely it is for a new unwanted vehicle to spawn in the random cargen when you leave.

So what you are saying is I should run on foot everywhere I go while still in Los Santos?

Don't leave a car anywhere near a mission starter, other than that you can use vehicles as normal. Random impounding may happen but it is rare. Save your game in alternating save slots in case something bad happens.

How do I get the Police Car now that something is in the Impound? Any effects?

Nothing to worry about. I'm pretty sure that you have had more things stored in your impounds earlier than you are aware of. ;)

How do I use Vigilante Police Bike to steal Rare Vehicles to put in the Garages to make EP/FP in Gray Imports? None of these Vehicles will go to the Impound? It's only traffic Vehicles I drive that get impounded?

Gray Imports is a type of mission that have a Clear Area command, because it will spawn a vehicle for you, and before it does that it will clear the area. The big vans that are outside the warehouse will not get impounded, they are deleted (the same goes for the Forklifts I would think). But your vehicle will be impounded if it's inside the area. I believe that any vehicle that are in CJ's possession are impounded and other vehicles are deleted.

This can be useful in some cases (impound a FP/EP helicopter for you), but more often you don't want your vehicle impounded, so you must park outside of the Clear Area command radius. If you park just inside the walls that surrounds the warehouse then your vehicle is safe.

• Before entering the Impounds, enter the LSPD HQ (without holding any weapons of course). Usually, if this is done, no random cars will spawn in the Impound's garage zone
  • Move unwanted cars to the wall that's the farthest from the zone where the cars spawn.
I've heard the tip about entering LSPD HQ first but it didn't stick to mind. A good reminder there.

I'm not sure why it's necessary to move the unwanted cars all the way to the southern wall though? If it is outside of the garage then it is outside of it, even if it's only by a few meters.