Internal SATA HDD Vs. External HDD

San Andreas Nut

San Andreas Nut

ok so I need to upgrade my current 140gb external drive and get 2x 500gb external drives. my question is what is the speed of an external HDD compared to an internal HDD and will I notice any difference? I mean I have an 80gb internal HDD and I just use that for game and app. software installs, but the 140gb External holds all my movies and music etc. It doesnt seem to be very slow but Im getting a new computer soon and would it be better to use external HDD or internal? internal HDD is more expensive isnt it?

External hard drives are typically more expensive. Although they are fairly cheap nowadays. I suggest getting externals for your use, especially if its for storage. Externals are more convenient.

You won't notice a problem with speed. At least you shouldn't.

USB 2.0 has a maximum speed of 480 Mbit/s.

When USB 3.0 comes out in the first half of 2008, it will roughly have a maximum speed of 4.8 Gbit/s, utilizing a parallel optical cable.

Its hard to say really, everyone's computer is different... The distinction between internal and external is a very important one! In any system, the bottleneck to high performance can reside either within the disk, or within the rest of the system (the interface, the system bus, CPU, drivers, file system, and so on.)

I'd wait until External HDD's start coming out with USB 3.0!

San Andreas Nut

ok thanks guys.

I cant wait that long! sad.gif

ok thanks guys.

I cant wait that long! sad.gif

If your only going to be transferring small sized data, then buy an external USB HDD...

If you’re going to be transferring high sized data (5GB's or more at a time) it’s going to be a slow process with an External USB 2.0 HDD...

I use two 320GB Internal HDD's, one is OS, the other is a back-up... At the current technology levels, i don’t see any point in having a terabyte (or more) of storage! Unless your a serial downloader (torrent or p2p), or record TV!

Remember, one of the main points with External is you can take it anywhere.

Edited by drvixx

Fozzy Fozborne

I would not recommend an external drive. The hard drives contained in the enclosures are almost always of inferior quality and come with shorter warranties.

(Normal internal drive warranty 3-5 years, externals are usually 1 year).

Get an internal SATA drive and put it in a decent SATA drive.

If you later decide you want the higher performance of an internal drive, it's as easy as pulling it out of the enclosure and putting it in your computer. (Doing this would obviously void your warranty in an external drive).

The extra cost of this way is only about $10.

Hope that helped ya.

The only external hard drives that are good are the ones that come with eSATA connectors. Otherwise you shouldn't buy them, but buy instead a SATA 3.0Gbps Seagate/WD/Samsung internal hard drive. Also, a WD Raptor X SATA 1.5Gbps 10000RPM is good as well - this is the only time you should buy something less than a SATA 3.

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

The only external hard drives that are good are the ones that come with eSATA connectors. Otherwise you shouldn't buy them, but buy instead a SATA 3.0Gbps Seagate/WD/Samsung internal hard drive. Also, a WD Raptor X SATA 1.5Gbps 10000RPM is good as well - this is the only time you should buy something less than a SATA 3.

You're assuming he has eSATA...

my comp. is about two years old, so dunno if I have eSATA.

I doubt it...

Like I said, if you are just using it for storage of music and movies a USB 2.0 drive is fine.

I use an external, as do many other. For storage you should not find a problem with speed.

I've got a 500GB external, and I mainly use it for storage, although I do have all my music on it and I can play it with Itunes just fine. When I first hit play it takes like a second, then it skips through songs with out missing a beat.

I've also got movies on it, and they play just fine, and load up no slower than regularly.

I was looking around for 1TB internals after seeing this topic and they can be had for around $275, not bad!

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

I have 2x 500GB external drives for storage and video work, both USB 2.0.

I typically use them only for backing up projects, or storing media. I can use the drives to edit DV and 720p with no problem, and play back full HD. They're western digital disks inside - I would recommend researching a drive before purchasing. There's no way you could accuse this of being too slow - I certainly wouldn't run any software from an external drive unless it was eSATA - but I'm assuming you have at least two internal HD's already.

You can also buy hard drive enclosures, and put together an external drive on your own, if you want to ensure you get a quality disk.

San Andreas Nut

Ok thanks guys, yes I play all my albums and videos off of my current external. I will buy 2x 500gb external HDD, one backing up the other.

Speaking of backing up, how many of you have a lot of precious material only on a drive, i.e. not on CD/DVD , my external has a lot of music that isnt backed up on other storage. Thus why I am purchasing two 500gb external HDD. does anyone know off a free program that will synchronise two drives automatically? and how likely is it for a well known branded HDD to lose all its data? cry.gif

eSATA == SATA, it's exactly the same, you just need a little converter cable. So if you have internal SATA, you can also use external SATA drives.

I myself have a 500gb external SATA 300 drive, and the speeds are the same, if not faster, than an older 320gb SATA 300 internal disk. The disks are exactly the same (standard wise, not size), the connection is exactly the same, but it just uses a less fragile connector (hence the need for an 'eSATA' cable, which just is just an adapter cable).

I simply got myself a Coolermaster X-craft cradle and an 'internal' 500GB WD drive, however not every X-Craft model has SATA, so pay attention to that if you plan on buying one.

The X-Craft cradle comes with a n eSATA cable and everything, it consists of 2 parts, one part that goes from a SATA connector on your motherboard to the back of your case, which provides an external 'eSATA' port, and then an eSATA cable going from that to the cradle.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.