Video Game Film Adaption Soon To Come

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

I stumbled onto the this link of "game-to-film adaptations currently in the works". So, just for your information, here are some biggies coming soon to a theatre near you. I'll list them, but here is actual link in case you want to give it a look. It's from Yahoo! Video Games.

- Street Fighter (Capcom)

Not to be confused with the Sonny Chiba martial arts classic or the critically-panned 1994 action mess starring Jean-Claude Van Damme, the all-new Street Fighter movie centers around femme fatale Chun Li. The story is still tightly under wraps, though we suspect it has something to do with a secret tournament, a gaggle of worldly brawlers and a nefarious scheme or two. Hyde Park Entertainment has tapped little known scribe Justin Marks to write the script and Andrzej Bartkowiak (Doom, Cradle 2 the Grave) to direct. Its release is currently planned to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the franchise in 2008.

Pitch it: Bloodsport meets Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, with fireballs!

Ditch it: Could be more like the first Street Fighter movie. Ugh.

- World of Warcraft (Blizzard)

Nine million worldwide subscribers make Blizzard's behemoth a can't-miss property. That bodes well for Legendary Pictures, who secured the rights to a Warcraft film back in 2006. Set one year prior to the events depicted in the popular MMO, the film will focus on an Alliance hero (sorry, followers of Thrall - it's not easy being green in Hollywood.) While they've yet to announce a director or potential cast, they've proposed a roomy $100 million budget and are approaching it as an epic war film. The hordes will have to wait, though: at the Blizzcon convention this past August, it was announced that the film is scheduled for a 2009 release date.

Pitch it: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers meets The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, but with fewer hobbits and more orcs.

Ditch it: The Warcraft mythology is actually pretty rich. Too bad it will probably be boiled down into a couple hours worth of green screen fight scenes and cheesy inspirational speeches.

- God of War (Sony)

Gamers have been clamoring for a film based on Sony's vengeful demigod since it first hit shelves in 2005. That classical dream could become a modern day reality, but not any time soon. Though a script by noted screenwriter David Self (Road to Perdition) has been completed, Universal holds the rights to the movie and has kept its progress hidden from prying eyes. Swashbuckling game developer David Jaffe, the man behind the first game in the series, has gone on record that he wants to see actor Djimon Hounsou (Amistad, Blood Diamond) in the role of Kratos.

Pitch it: Clash of the Titans meets 300.

Ditch it: Seriously effects-heavy. If it doesn't score a titan-sized budget, that could pose a problem.

- Halo (Microsoft)

Shortly after Halo 3 obliterated sales records, film execs began blaming it for sluggish numbers at the box office - and apparently, they want revenge. Once thought to be in the hands of fantasy guru Peter Jackson, the Halo film is currently dead in the water. After Jackson bailed out, the film adaptation of Microsoft's money machine fell into the lap of short film director Neill Blomkamp. Unfortunately, issues between joint rights holders Fox and Universal started eating away at the project's foundation, which officially gave way earlier this year. But with a project this lucrative, we don't expect it to stay down for long.

Pitch it: Independence Day meets Rambo.

Ditch it: Halo's story isn't its strong suit, and without Jackson at the helm, it could turn into Starship Troopers in the blink of an all-seeing eye.

- The Sims (EA)

No story, no main characters, and no marketing angle? "No problem!" proclaimed 20th Century Fox, who earlier this year blew gamer minds by announcing that they picked up the rights to a film version of Will Wright's blockbuster social experiment. We know it will be live-action and will be produced by John Davis (Norbit), but we have no idea what it could possibly be about. Other than picking wallpaper and peeing in the living room.

Pitch it: Neighbors meets The Stepford Wives.

Ditch it: Ninety minutes of watching an animated dollhouse full of mannequins with severe bladder issues doesn't sound very fun.

- Gears of War (Microsoft)

Alien scum were no match for Marcus Fenix and his ragtag band of not-so-merry men. Let's see how New Line Cinema handles the invasion, as the studio locked up this 360 action doozie in early 2007. Currently slated for a 2009 release, the film's script is being written by Stuart Beattie (Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl). Gamers longing for authenticity shouldn't fear, though, as Gear designer Cliff Bleszinski will serve as an executive producer. No word yet as to who will play lead grunt Fenix.

Pitch it: War of the Worlds meets Predator.

Ditch it: Still no director, still no lead actor, still a second-banana to Halo.

- Tekken (Namco)

Once thought to be forever locked in development limbo (it's been postponed three times), the movie version of Namco's fighting phenom could be poised for a legit comeback in 2009. It follows two childhood friends, Jin and Zheng, who enter - you guessed it - the underground Tekken fighting tournament aimed at testing their inner and outer strength. Along the way, the buddies uncover the truth about Tekken Corp.'s devious shenanigans. Screen Gems recently announced that Charles Stone III (Drumline) will direct, though none of the actors have been cast yet.

Pitch it: Enter the Dragon meets Lethal Weapon.

Ditch it: Charles Stone III is most famous for directing and starring in the "Whassup!" commercials for Budweiser.

- Onimusha (Capcom)

Never afraid of shifting their popular franchises over to film, Capcom has teamed with Davis Films to bring its samurai /demon showdown to the big screen. The plot outline involves the dreaded undead warlord Nobunaga, who captures two women in an effort to do some terrible mischief, and two warriors who battle his minions. At the helm is Christophe Gans (Silent Hill), while actor Takeshi Kaneshiro will play lead character Samanosuke. That's hardly a stretch - Kaneshiro provided the character's voice-over in Onimusha Warlords and Onimusha 3, and the in-game avatar was actually modeled after the real-world actor.

Pitch it: Big Trouble in Little China meets Yojimbo.

Ditch it: The film will purportedly include a love story. With samurai warriors. And creepy demons. Uh oh.

- Return to Castle Wolfenstein (id)

Demonic Nazis, your time is drawing nearer. With acclaimed writer/director Roger Avary (Beowulf) handling the script, this WWII frightfest based on the old PC first-person shooter actually carries some serious street cred. Same goes to Avary, an ex-programmer and avid gamer. Though production is on hold due to the writers' strike, expect the harrowing tale of BJ Blazkowicz to eventually reach the big screen.

Pitch it: Saving Private Ryan meets A Triumph of the Will meets Evil Dead II.

Ditch it: Just read the Pitch again.

- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (Ubisoft)

Hollywood has long had a love affair with sweeping Arabian epics, so it comes as little surprise that Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer Films would flip over the cinematic possibilities of Ubisoft's action series. Set for a 2009 release, the film was penned by Prince of Persia game guru Jordan Mechner, who has stated that the adaptation is far from a blow by blow carbon copy of the game, instead telling a brand new tale of romance and, we're sure, acrobatics. Though the cast is still not finalized, it looks like Mike Newell (Four Wedding and a Funeral, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) will direct.

Pitch it: Lawrence of Arabia meets The Mummy.

Ditch it: Ishtar was also filmed in the desert.

- Max Payne (Gathering of Developers)

Surprisingly, this noir action hit from 2001 is still slated to be turned into celluloid. 20th Century Fox actually snagged the rights back in 2003, but must have inadvertently activated 'bullet-time' and slowed all production to a crawl. Recently, however, Mark Wahlberg signed on to play the titular tough guy, who fights both real-world adversaries and tragic visions of his tortured past. John Moore (Behind Enemy Lines) will direct, with filming planned to begin early in 2008.

Pitch it: Sin City meets Double Indemnity in a very dark alley, smoking a filterless cigarette.

Ditch it: Max Payne is sooo late 90's. And Marky Mark has too much of a baby-face to play a hardened, killer cop.

The Sims movie made me laugh and Djimon Hounsou as Kratos? I still dislike the casting of Wahlberg as Max. So what do you guys think of this crop, any chance for a winner(s)?

tuff_luv_capo

Oh, I thought you were piecing them together, my bad.

Max Payne is the one I'm looking forward to most.

Mark Wahlberg fits the role perfect imo. Plus he's a top actor so it should be a good match.

I heard the Gears movie had the possibilities of Bruce Willis as Marcus, and the actor who plays Tony Almeda on 24 as Dom. I'd see it.

Well i think only Splinter Cell movie and Metal Gear Solid movie can be good adaptions.

God of War - has a great story, I really dont wont too see that fall apart because of Hollywood lack of ideas. Its really pathetic, nothing is original anymore.

Sims - WTF? How can they make Sims without Sims language confused.gif And even if they succed, what kind of movie would that be? And who would watch it? There are no hardcore Sims fans

Gears of War - gimme a break. The game itself is inspired by Starship troopers and movies like that.

Halo - the game sucked, so why should movie be any better. Anyway, a movie based on any FPS is not a pretty sight. They should just stay at home, lock the doors and forget about everything as quickly as possible.

Street fighter - not after that Jean-Claude "comedy" please confused.gif

World of Warcraft - probably a movie made for those pathetic fans that go around conventions dressed as orcs and wizards

Prince of Persia - NICE IDEA

Max Paine - mindless action flick full of explosions and random sex scenes

Return to castle Wolfenstein - probably the only FPS that could be worth watching on the big screen

Tekken - lets see. Could be good, could be awful

Onimusha - I never played the game so I dont know

Halo - the game sucked, so why should movie be any better. Anyway, a movie based on any FPS is not a pretty sight. They should just stay at home, lock the doors and forget about everything as quickly as possible.

Its not exactly going to be a movie in first person is it? biggrin.gif

I think it could turn out well, can't deny the Halo story is pretty good. And with todays technology Im sure it would look awesome.

tfdt7hY.gif

I can't wait for the Gears Of War movie, if it's done right obviously. I was running through a list of actors who could pull off Marcus te other day and I think Dominic Purcell who plays Lincoln Burrows in Prison Break could be a good choice.

I read the treatment for the Gears Of War movie on some site a few months ago, looked pretty damn awesome, very loyal to the game. smile.gif

Definitely looking forward to a Splinter Cell and a Wolfenstein movie. You would ahve to be seriously stupid to mess those 2 up.

kippers.png

The Van Damme Street Fighter kicked ass, f*ck you guys.

Those live action Halo 3 vids were pretty cool, if done right, I'd say the movie could be good.

Groovy, I love those life action Halo shorts. If they keep to that but update the production style then a Halo movie would rock the f*ck out. My one request is DON'T DO MASTER CHIEF.

The Halo movie shouldn't be all about Master Chief. Maybe do some back story or the first Covenant attack. Include Master Chief but not as the main character.

Well if it's true that Peter Jackson is no longer director of the Halo movie, I fear we might end up with a dud on our hands. With Pete, I felt good, but anybody else and it's really up in the air.

Southside Dukes Ballas

Well if it's true that Peter Jackson is no longer director of the Halo movie, I fear we might end up with a dud on our hands. With Pete, I felt good, but anybody else and it's really up in the air.

He was never the director. Look up your facts. He was going to be the executive producer from the start and Weta was going to do visual effects. Not to mention he's still behind the movie 100% and I believe he's the guy who handpicked Neil Bloomkamp for the director seat

And Dijmo Honsu or however you spell his name is an extremely great actor, has the right build for Kratos and for the people that don't know the guy that voices Kratos is black which by Kratos voice should' have been a give away and I actually think Kratos could've been a black Spartan since we never actually see his real skin tone.

I'm willing to give all of those films a try except The Sims since that seems like the dumbest idea for a movie in the history of movies.

Edited by Southside Dukes Ballas

He was never the director. Look up your facts. He was going to be the executive producer from the start and Weta was going to do visual effects. Not to mention he's still behind the movie 100% and I believe he's the guy who handpicked Neil Bloomkamp for the director seat

And Dijmo Honsu or however you spell his name is an extremely great actor, has the right build for Kratos and for the people that don't know the guy that voices Kratos is black which by Kratos voice should' have been a give away and I actually think Kratos could've been a black Spartan since we never actually see his real skin tone.

I'm willing to give all of those films a try except The Sims since that seems like the dumbest idea for a movie in the history of movies.

OK...

Actually I think the Sims movie might be pretty funny. When I thought about it, the pitch that came to mind was regular people who suddenly found themselves in a sims world. Perhaps being controlled by someone else and basically they spend the movie trying to get out. For some reason, I immediately saw Will Ferrell in it. He can make anything funny, except Bewitched.

I think the Tekken and Streetfighter movies are gonna blow hard.

I'm kinda sad there hasn't been talk of a Shadow of the Colossus movie yet, that would be f*ckin' awesome.

One's worth commenting on:

- Street Fighter (Capcom) - I'm hopefull for this one, the first one sucked, but then so did the first Street Fighter game, but Street Fighter II f*cking rocked the f*ck out, so I'm hoping the film will follow. Although I do wish that they will cast a bit better this time.

- The Sims (EA) - What they're going to do a Reality TV Show in Film format?... bleep that

- Return to Castle Wolfenstein (id) - This idea sounds very intersting, having being a fan of the original game(s) I'd seriously consider this. I could see it being in some ways a Doom clone... irony huh, Doom was a Wolfenstein clone, now the film will be a Doom clone

- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (Ubisoft) - This could be very well done in a sort of 300 meets The Matrix style as far as cinematography is concerned

- Max Payne (Gathering of Developers) - Marky Mark as Max Payne, I'm not too keen on, there is other people who could play it better or suit the character better, but I still think having a blonde James Bond isn't cricket. I'm hopefull that it's a good story and filmed in a very good style, like a mix between 300, Renaissance and Sin City but with the bullet time of The Matrix.

wZVJHXg.png

• 2 weeks later...

WHY OH WHY do they never get the voice actors from the game to play the character

What?!?!!! Nothing about the rainbow six movie that might come out in 2010.

And how the f*ck can they make a movie out of the sims??

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

WHY OH WHY do they never get the voice actors from the game to play the character

Just think about it, their "voice" actors. Key words being voice. I'm sure some of them can act, but most of them just act with their voice.

Ya, voice acting is one thing. But in person, A) they rarely look anything like the character and B) most likely stink in front of a camera.

I'm most excited about the Sims movie because it's such a wierd premise.

bigmitchbaker

i just saw hostel for the first time last night and was thinking if the made a uncharted movie the guy that lives till the end i cant rember his name could play Nathan Drake just wanted to say that.But a god of war movie sounds cool and lol the sim wtf i mean i play it at my sisters now and then and enjoy it but how the f*ck will a movie work will they build a house then put people in rooms and take off the doors like i do lol.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.