whats the future?

dxk

Yes, i'm asking whta you think people would use as fuel in a 50 or 100 years??.........at the speed were using up fossil fuel, we'll be six feet under if we don't swicth to an alternative fuel.........

I suggest bio-desiel until we can harness hydrogen powered cars........or electric cars those supplied electricity from wind turbines hooked up with the car it self(a few airplanes have that method when their engine shuts down and it needs power for the hydrolics)

Seawater...

The story goes: While a man was looking for a way to cure cancer, he found that radiowaves focused on saltwater burned at about 5000F or something like that. Its pretty recent discovery wise...but if that doesnt work I am guessing hydrogen. Once we get past the whole "electrolysis" issue I believe that we will have internal combustion style motors only with Hydrogen instead of petrol.

I think electric cars are the way forward, making use of the wind turbines more etc.

Think it will cost it alot of money though.

Seawater...

The story goes: While a man was looking for a way to cure cancer, he found that radiowaves focused on saltwater burned at about 5000F or something like that. Its pretty recent discovery wise...but if that doesnt work I am guessing hydrogen. Once we get past the whole "electrolysis" issue I believe that we will have internal combustion style motors only with Hydrogen instead of petrol.

That's all bullsh*t. People seem to forget that you need incredibly strong radio waves to make that possible, and even more they seem to forget the laws of thermodynamics. You can't create energy, the radio energy is converted to thermal energy, and it's incredibly inefficient, so it wastes alot more energy than what is created.

And hydrogen is also a long way off, there's still no safe or practical way to store enough hydrogen to make hydrogen cars a reality, this includes fuel cells and IC powered engines.

Until somebody has a miraculous breakthrough, we're stuck with fossil fuels and ethanol mixes. Maybe soon enough somebody will find a way to make ethanol cheap, that will change everything because nobody will have to buy new cars and the gas station infrastructure will still stay, with only a few modifications to the stations and pipelines.

As I've said plenty of times before, I'm pretty sure electric motors will take the lead eventually. They're small and strong which equals light weight with a good power-to-weight ratio. Of course the problem is getting them the energy. Currently huge Lithium Ion batteries linked together are the best bet, with out using a gas/diesel engine to create the power.

It'll all come down to electric motors, with batteries, I'm quite sure. Battery technology is steadily rising, they're getting more and more sophisticated. My guess is that in 50 years it shouldn't be a problem to get 250 miles per charge, and charges should only take an hour, if that.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

swolo yaggins
As I've said plenty of times before, I'm pretty sure electric motors will take the lead eventually. They're small and strong which equals light weight with a good power-to-weight ratio. Of course the problem is getting them the energy. Currently huge Lithium Ion batteries linked together are the best bet, with out using a gas/diesel engine to create the power.

It'll all come down to electric motors, with batteries, I'm quite sure. Battery technology is steadily rising, they're getting more and more sophisticated. My guess is that in 50 years it shouldn't be a problem to get 250 miles per charge, and charges should only take an hour, if that.

Wrong! Electric cars are small, but not strong and definately not fast. America would cave in as all the gasoline goes away. Actually, once all the gas goes away in the rest of the world, America will still have 50 years of gas. We're currently f*cking everybody else over so that we don't have to use our own supply, and we're still finding more of it.

And another thing, once ALL the gas is gone, people will revert back to horses. I'd rather ride a Stallion than a damn Toyota Prius.

5192:12.3.02
LM/SSH

mkl

Wrong! Electric cars are small, but not strong and definately not fast. America would cave in as all the gasoline goes away. Actually, once all the gas goes away in the rest of the world, America will still have 50 years of gas. We're currently f*cking everybody else over so that we don't have to use our own supply, and we're still finding more of it.

And another thing, once ALL the gas is gone, people will revert back to horses. I'd rather ride a Stallion than a damn Toyota Prius.

Are you kidding? Electric motors are superior to gasoline at this point. The problem is batteries. Once we find a way to store enough power for these bad boys, you'll see. Ever heard of the Tesla Roadster? Based on the lotus Elise and it's fast as hell, plus you can get pretty good mileage out of the battery.

Use Ethanol made from corn, natural and should work in most current motors (At least from what I've read anyway)
New account, Joe.

Are you kidding? Electric motors are superior to gasoline at this point. The problem is batteries. Once we find a way to store enough power for these bad boys, you'll see. Ever heard of the Tesla Roadster? Based on the lotus Elise and it's fast as hell, plus you can get pretty good mileage out of the battery.

Lol, thank you.

Demo, you obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Electric motors have 100% torque from 0 rpm to their maximum range, which can easily be over 10,000rpm. With so much torque way down low, you really don't even need a transmission, at least not a traditional one. Usually 2 gears is more than enough, and most electric motors can be ran in reverse, so it's just a flip of a switch really, but for familiarity most auto makers would probably still put it on the shifter.

And I didn't mean the electric cars are small, the motors themselves are small. They packed 4 individual 160hp motors (each) in the wheel hubs of a Mini Cooper, with a small gasoline engine powering them all. That's 640hp, combined, filling no more than the interior of each wheel. sh*t, 160hp is more than my car has, and even more than I'd say 1/4 of production cars come out with today. And this car has 4 of those motors in it!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/the_hybrid_mini.php <-- That's it right there.

So to say they are not strong, wrong. Not fast, well last time I checked 160hp will get you up there pretty good. Have fun riding a horse, I'll be cruising by in my Tesla or Chevy Volt (hope they pretty it up though).

Chances are, by the time battery technology catches up, motors that size will put out near 250hp, even 200hp would be fine. Weighing in at a whopping 50lbs or so for the motor, and most likely another 50lbs for the battery, tops, cars will have more room and less weight. Very nice.

As for the US having 50 years of gas, I'm not sure about the time frame, but yeah, we have reserves on tap just waiting to be used. They say they don't want to use it because of the environmental issues, but it's obvious it's because they want to save it for when everyone else runs out. Then we've got the power.

(Brutuz)

Use Ethanol made from corn, natural and should work in most current motors (At least from what I've read anyway)

Well, there's some problems with that. First off, the power to liter ratio is quite a bit lower than gasoline. While the same engine would put out more power with ethanol, it uses more up in the same amount of time, so it has less mpg.

Then there's the whole source thing. What ever crop you use to make the ethanol, it's prices will sky rocket. If you use corn, think about how much everything with corn ingredients will go up. Cola (or any drink/candy/food with high fructose corn syrup)? Not 50 cents a can anymore, try like $2-$5. Bag of Doritos? Couple more bucks on that too. There'd also be a shortage of it since so much would be used for fuel.

They can get it from other things like sugar cane and some other plant (which has a high yield per acre than corn), but again the same thing applies. Not to mention the vast areas of land that would be taken up just to make the stuff.

I used to be on board with ethanol, but after reading up on it, it's a loser, imo.

Edited by Picolini

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Well, there's some problems with that. First off, the power to liter ratio is quite a bit lower than gasoline. While the same engine would put out more power with ethanol, it uses more up in the same amount of time, so it has less mpg.

Then there's the whole source thing. What ever crop you use to make the ethanol, it's prices will sky rocket. If you use corn, think about how much everything with corn ingredients will go up. Cola (or any drink/candy/food with high fructose corn syrup)? Not 50 cents a can anymore, try like $2-$5. Bag of Doritos? Couple more bucks on that too. There'd also be a shortage of it since so much would be used for fuel.

They can get it from other things like sugar cane and some other plant (which has a high yield per acre than corn), but again the same thing applies. Not to mention the vast areas of land that would be taken up just to make the stuff.

I used to be on board with ethanol, but after reading up on it, it's a loser, imo.

I read that a few companies are working on getting ethanol from any plant. They've already had success, but it's more expensive than corn ethanol, so they're working on making the process more efficient and cheaper. If they manage to do that then we should be good because that process would make ethanol from any plant matter.

I just don't see it costing any less that gas eventually. They'll start fighting over landmass to grow the stuff, and the resources to grow the plants must cost quite a bit, then there's refining the plants into the ethanol, which as you said is their biggest problem right now.

I'd say ditch it, work on something more viable, such as hydrogen.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

lurchseesu420

I wish we could harness the power of farts. I'm sure I would have the a pretty powerful car then.

New account

I just don't see it costing any less that gas eventually. They'll start fighting over landmass to grow the stuff, and the resources to grow the plants must cost quite a bit, then there's refining the plants into the ethanol, which as you said is their biggest problem right now.

But I don't see hydrogen taking off for a very long time in large masses. There still is no safe or practical way to store enough hydrogen for a decently long trip, plus the whole gas station infrastructure would have to change massively.

With ethanol, the biggest hurdle is developing a good way to make it from plant matter, everything else is simple compared to that. There's lots of available land for growing crops.

Is there ?

Every building that gets sold now gets knocked and some high-rise building like flats are built etc.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but car fuels aren't the only problem, aircraft too. They contribute to global warming, especially at night because of their contrails (or whatever they are called), so what's going to be the case for that?

But I don't see hydrogen taking off for a very long time in large masses. There still is no safe or practical way to store enough hydrogen for a decently long trip, plus the whole gas station infrastructure would have to change massively.

With ethanol, the biggest hurdle is developing a good way to make it from plant matter, everything else is simple compared to that. There's lots of available land for growing crops.

There are also a lot of people starving in this world. i think its kinda pathetic to start burning food for fuel at this point.

Hydrogen fuel cells + nuclear power + bioreactors = win

user posted image

I say the true fuel of the future would be Nitrogen (most abundant element in out atmosphere) and Nuclear Fission reactions, both are far from being perfected or even rendered useful, but I'd hope that they would be able do it in within the next hundred or so years.

Though in the far future I predict we will be using Antimatter as a primary fuel source.

There are also a lot of people starving in this world. i think its kinda pathetic to start burning food for fuel at this point.

Hydrogen fuel cells + nuclear power + bioreactors = win

I'm not talking about food here, that's too expensive. I'm talking about grass, plants, leaves, anything with plant cells. And yes there is tons of free land, especially in big countries. Canada has a sh*tload of farmland not being used, and if ethanol takes off there's no doubt many existing farmers will grow whatever is needed because it'll pay well.

And aircraft contrails are something completely different, they're caused by the water vapour coming out of the exhaust condensing, you can't do anything about that apart from using hydrogen as a fuel or simply not using combustion.

I don't know where you got the contrails causing global warming when at night, gta star. That's news to me. All it's doing is freezing some water vapor.

As for the land thing, you'd probably need hundreds of square miles to quench just the US's fuel needs. If they did go that way, then I think they'd need to make plant towers, with layered floors. It'd probably be the best way, and more cost effective.

The thing about using that is, as time goes on you'd probably be able to buy home ethanol extracting kits, and grow fuel in your backyard. Fuel suppliers don't want that going on.

I would say that ethanol is in the top 3 or 4 options still, it does have it's benefits.

As for hydrogen, the only problem storing it is if you're using it for combustion purposes, then yes, you need to store it in highly pressured tanks in a liquid form. That's not too viable, as a puncture would blow it to hell. If we can find a way to instantaneously diffuse hydrogen from water, then we're in business. On MythBusters they actually sprayed hydrogen in the intake of an old car and it ran, just fine, until it back fired through the intake. The point being, engines as they are designed now would need little changes. I know it's the same with ethanol, but water is all over. Then we could all fill up our cars with our hoses.

That also runs into my point about fuel suppliers. But f*ck them, I want my car to run on water! lol.gif

I'm more interested in electric cars though. As much as I love the rev of a piston engine, they're just not efficient enough. They don't deliver the same amount of power through out the range, and they're just heavy, complicated, and costly. I think I'd rather go with a 500hp twin electric motored corvette, than a 500hp 7.0L gass guzzlin (even though it still gets in the high teens) V8 with hundreds of parts that cost quite a bit to fix.

With an electric, there's only bascially one moving part, and if it goes, which would be quite rare and take a long time, then you're pretty screwed, you'd have to replace it. But it'd last much much longer than any gas engine.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

lurchseesu420

EV's last a lot longer than gas engines? Bullsh*t! Why do you think GM scrapped all of the EV1's? Electrics go bad. It's proven. An electric Motor would break a lot faster than a gas engine. Especially under hard use. They're also very complicated and heavy. What about the whole system that an EV uses. It's not just a little EV motor. It's a whole lot more. All those batteries are pretty f*ckin heavy too!

Edited by lurchseesu420

New account

Were those brushless motors? They're relatively newer technology with virtually no touching parts, which means less friction, less heat, less damage.

And yes, current batteries are heavy as sh*t, and they've started using super capacitors for quick boosts of power, but hopefully not to far from now they'll have batteries under 25 pounds delivering just as much power, in a cubic foot or so. It's all about nanotechnology.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

@Picolini - Here's where I got it from;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5082918.stm

Hydrogen cars may be a good idea, but this would mean that if we made Hydrogen cars, there would be more Hydrogen in the air? These cars are still bound to pollute something?

If there was too much Hydrogen, would it cause more damage, or be a contributory factor to global warming?

Well last time I checked hydrogen isn't a green house gas, it's CO2 that is.

The hydrogen from combustion engines would leave as hydrogen and turn back into water when it meets oxygen again. Or something like that notify.gif

About the link you posted, I don't think plane trails are enough to make even a slightly noticeable difference. They're like 5-10 feet wide per plane, and all of them together maybe covers a square mile per day. Can't be a huge difference when you see that the land mass alone is 57,268,900 square miles (don't forget about water which covers most of the earth!). So even if it's 1,000 square miles a day, and I'd say that's a stretch, my guess is the mountains covered in ice would cause more of a global warming effect if what they say on that site is correct.

Edited by Picolini

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

I love brushless motors, practically zero friction and crazy power and revs. There are 2 sources of friction, the bearing in the back of the shaft and the bearing in the front, that's it. If lubed properly and not submerged in water (even though most are pretty waterproof) they'll last forever. But the problem is that they're terrible at low revs because they get confused as to which way they're supposed to spin, but I bet that's been remedied by now. I have an RC car with a brushless motor, the motor is smaller than any brushed motor you can buy for it, about twice as powerful, never need to be rebuilt, and actually uses less battery power. Mine has a peak RPM of 6800/V, which means that with a 7.2V battery pack you would get 48,960 RPM, that's pretty high. From a standstill it could actually do a backflip if it has enough grip and you pin the throttle. With a slightly more expensive brushless motor motor, an RC car that could fit in the palm of your hand has gone over 80 mph. wow.gif Now try to tell me that's slow and weak.

And if you're ever held a lithium battery you would know they weigh practically nothing, alot less than lead acid or nickel-based batteries, plus alot more powerful and smaller, and a sh*tload more dangerous. That's the problem with lithium batteries, you overcharge or undercharge one cell and the whole car might literally burst into flames, easily killing anybody inside or even lighting nearby stuff on fire.

And you would still need to store tons of hydrogen even if you were using it in a fuel cell. Because they're still in early stages, so they're inefficient. I remember I read an article a year or two ago about just how impractical hydrogen is at this point, and that was one of their biggest points.

I think it's gonna go ethanol-->batteries-->hydrogen fuel cell.

Edited by Rocketkiller

Well last time I checked hydrogen isn't a green house gas, it's CO2 that is.

The hydrogen from combustion engines would leave as hydrogen and turn back into water when it meets oxygen again. Or something like that

About the link you posted, I don't think plane trails are enough to make even a slightly noticeable difference. They're like 5-10 feet wide per plane, and all of them together maybe covers a square mile per day. Can't be a huge difference when you see that the land mass alone is 57,268,900 square miles (don't forget about water which covers most of the earth!). So even if it's 1,000 square miles a day, and I'd say that's a stretch, my guess is the mountains covered in ice would cause more of a global warming effect if what they say on that site is correct.

That's true, but you think though over many many years the amount of damage these contrails could cause. The amount of aircraft in the world is quite a number, and it will expand.

Hydrogen cars may be a good idea, but this would mean that if we made Hydrogen cars, there would be more Hydrogen in the air? These cars are still bound to pollute something?

If there was too much Hydrogen, would it cause more damage, or be a contributory factor to global warming?

The result of the reaction in a hydrogen fuel cell is water.

user posted image

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.