Niko motion-capture actor same as CJ?

Magic_Al

Watching trailer 3, Niko's body movement reminded me so much of CJ I wondered if the same actor performed the motion capture. I wouldn't be surprised if someone who did a good job was asked back.

it may look similar in areas but i can promise you its not going to be the same...This game is using RAGE and the Euphoria physics engine which means that everything reacts life-like to anything so it will even feel more realistic than GTA:SA

Edited by Timmons55

The Night Fox
it may look similar in areas but i can promise you its not going to be the same...This game is sing the RAGE physics engine which means that everything reacts life-like to anything so it will even feel more realistic than GTA:SA

Yea, I just hope they don't make the game far too realistic.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Watching trailer 3, Niko's body movement reminded me so much of CJ I wondered if the same actor performed the motion capture. I wouldn't be surprised if someone who did a good job was asked back.

It's difficult to tell, really.

it may look similar in areas but i can promise you its not going to be the same...This game is sing the RAGE physics engine which means that everything reacts life-like to anything so it will even feel more realistic than GTA:SA

You mean " Euphoria Engine " which lets the characters make their reactions by themselves and the animations & Motions are not captured by the developers !

RAGE Is the graphics Engine !

You mean " Euphoria Engine " which lets the characters make their reactions by themselves and the animations & Motions are not captured by the developers !

haha i ment to put an and after RAGE smile.gif

you said " Euphoria " Is a physics engine !

In fact , it is not . it is " animations engine " and it contains on " Real Physics Rules " In section of ( Unique Game moments ) of the engine !

physics rules like " Relative speed , weight of the body ....etc " !

it is the real new generation engine " best one " !

Edited by FiS!!HeR

Cutscenes were all recorded.

But they still run off the engines used for actual gameplay, like Euphoria and (obviously) the RAGE engine.

Jesus Christ, NO already! I will lay you

50,000 to 1 that it is not the same actor.

Black guy = Russian guy?

you said " Euphoria " Is a physics engine !

In fact , it is not . it is " animations engine " and it contains on " Real Physics Rules " In section of ( Unique Game moments ) of the engine !

physics rules like " Relative speed , weight of the body ....etc " !

it is the real new generation engine " best one " !

lol i apologies for my ignorance about the euphoria engine smile.gif

Black guy = Russian guy?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

DAMN IT is it os hard to udnerstand the difference between a voice actor, a model, and a motion capture actor? suicidal.gifsuicidal.gif

it may look similar in areas but i can promise you its not going to be the same...This game is using RAGE and the Euphoria physics engine which means that everything reacts life-like to anything so it will even feel more realistic than GTA:SA

They're not relying on a physics engine for the characters during cutscenes... dozingoff.gif You'd have to be pretty stupid to think that.

Vive La France

Physically realistic is good, but realism like parking tickets is bad. Niko probably has great body strength, and Euphoria will make use of that. We'll see some some amazing things, like ragdoll when you're falling.

Black guy = Russian guy?

DAMN IT is it os hard to udnerstand the difference between a voice actor, a model, and a motion capture actor? suicidal.gifsuicidal.gif

It is simple common sense!

Why would they use the same actor?

It is just dumb and we do not need another speculation thread

of CJ or his actor making a second appearence. Lock please?

Why would they use the same person?

Well:

They can trust him.

He knows what he is doing.

They have worked with him before.

They would have developed a work relationship, which means they can communicate more openely.

They know what he can do, and what he can't do. So they can get a better performance.

Just a few reasons.

Do you actually know what Motion Capture is, or are you just taking a shot in the dark at trying to be rational?

Yes, the euphoria engine is replacing animation when the character interacts with the environment in unscripted actions, but I'm talking about cutscenes where the character's action is prerecorded. These scenes need to play the way the director intends so they're not left to the CPU to make up on the fly. What I noticed in the trailer (which looks to be almost all cutscenes like previous GTA trailers) was that Niko carried his weight, swayed his shoulders, and made arm and neck movements that projected a physical attitude very similar to CJ, and since many of us are very familiar with CJ I wonder if it was just me seeing this. (Or maybe everybody skips the cutscenes after seeing them once?)

Motion capture of a lead character needs someone who is a skilled physical performer who works well under tedious technical conditions. It's not something just anybody can put on a sensor-covered spandex bodysuit and do well. It's a kind of pantomime performance calling for exaggerated movement that makes up for the fact that computer models, even next-gen, are basically puppets and not as expressive as real people. Whoever did the movement for CJ (again, I'm talking about cutscenes) did a good job. The work is completely separate from modeling or voice, so why not have him back? Maybe so, maybe not. I'm just wondering!

Edited by Magic_Al

To clear some of this confusion up:

The topic starter was asking if anyone thought Niko's movements in the trailer/s looked similar to how CJ moved in SA. The actors control the voice, the models are created by Rockstar and have nothing to do with the people in real life, and those doing the motion-captures do it for the characters in-game.

No matter how many ways it's explained people keep saying Euphoria means you don't need motion capture, not even in cutscenes. Cutscenes being the cinematic interludes where you put down the controller and watch the characters do a dramatic scenes like from a movie. These scenes are not part of gameplay, they are scripted animations synchronized with scripted dialog. Do people think Euphoria not only understands human reaction to physical forces, it also understands dramatic acting? I think people are confused!

Motion capture WAS used to record the dramatic action of characters in scripted scenes like those seen in the trailer! The only Euphoria-controlled human action in the trailer is probably the kicking and punching. How can I start a discussion about motion-capture acting when people don't even understand it? My thread has failed.

You don't need motion capture when you have Euphoria

then you won't need a pussy because you already got a hand ... confused.gif

Black guy = Russian guy?

It is simple common sense!

Why would they use the same actor?

It is just dumb and we do not need another speculation thread

of CJ or his actor making a second appearence. Lock please?

You, my dear friend, have completely and utterly missed the point.

OK, people, get your terms strait. Motion-capture is only used for cut scenes (implying the Euphoria engine can't do it on its own). It's widely known that gameplay will use Euphoria, but there hasn't been any confirmation on the cut scenes.

Yes, the euphoria engine is replacing animation when the character interacts with the environment in unscripted actions, but I'm talking about cutscenes where the character's action is prerecorded. These scenes need to play the way the director intends so they're not left to the CPU to make up on the fly. What I noticed in the trailer (which looks to be almost all cutscenes like previous GTA trailers) was that Niko carried his weight, swayed his shoulders, and made arm and neck movements that projected a physical attitude very similar to CJ, and since many of us are very familiar with CJ I wonder if it was just me seeing this. (Or maybe everybody skips the cutscenes after seeing them once?)

Motion capture of a lead character needs someone who is a skilled physical performer who works well under tedious technical conditions. It's not something just anybody can put on a sensor-covered spandex bodysuit and do well. It's a kind of pantomime performance calling for exaggerated movement that makes up for the fact that computer models, even next-gen, are basically puppets and not as expressive as real people. Whoever did the movement for CJ (again, I'm talking about cutscenes) did a good job. The work is completely separate from modeling or voice, so why not have him back? Maybe so, maybe not. I'm just wondering!

They could use the same actor to perform the parts, but they would want him to act differently from CJ as he's, ya know, a different person tounge.gif. Because of this its easy to speculate that theyd need a different person to take on the different roll. Just because someone is a skilled actor or actress doesnt mean theyre suit for a certain character. GTA protagonists may have share certain qualities but they all carry themselves in unique ways; so unique that one performer may not be able to perform one roll without basically mimicking an other.

Or maybe the guy is SO good he can perform anything from a baby to a dying old pregnant baboon. I dont know. wink.gif

I don't think you guys understand what Euphoria does.

The devs. still have to capture walking, running, shooting, and the like.

They don't have to capture thing like hits, and falls.

Euphoria generates animations on-the-fly.

ie:

*Niko throws a punch(Motion Captured)

*Ped. takes hit, and falls accordingly(Euphoria/No need to capture/animate)

Euphoria thread:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=302822&hl=