Driver's License Points?

freshlaundryX

freshlaundryX

From Trailer 3 many of you have your favorite scenes. Well the dark blue scene below with Niko and Roman driving erratically is mine because it is the only scene that actually looks like real gameplay and not a cutscene.

(Which leads me to believe: Will R* have a "Replay Theater" option like Halo 3 or Skate where we can replay and record some of the incredible moments that happen in-game and share them with our friends or on the web? For those of you who haven't played Halo 3 -- you can replay any single or multi-player experience, stop, rewind, or fast forward in time, detach the camera and move around in 3D -- admiring every spark emanating from a mid-exploded grenade, watching every bullet trace through the air to the target -- it is truly awe-inspiring and shows off details you were too busy playing to otherwise notice.)

This is the small version, click for the big:

user posted image

So what does this mean:

"Don't Block the Box -- Fine : 2 Points"

What box? Block it how? Do any of you New Yorker's recognize these signs?

Does that mean we can get points deducted from our driver's license? Too many points = jail time? A hefty fine?

(Perhaps you'd have to take Driver's Ed. to deduct points from your license. Ha!)

Also, look at the scene in the bottom right. Is that a cop versus robber or a crime being committed by one ped to another?

That would just be stupid. You're a criminal for sh*t sake. You do what you want. Like I've said many times before, people have gone way too overboard with this whole 'realistic' sh*t. Rockstar never said they are making the game realistic, they said aspects will look and feel realistic, while it is still a game, and origional ideas will be used.

I did read or hear somewhere that the game will have a replay edit thing like Halo 3. But would be even better if GTAIV had a Director replay like Driv3r wow.gif

"Blocking the box" is where you drive over the box-junction and stop in the middle because you're queing to get over. The point of a block-junction is to keep it clear so other rmotorists can get through the junction without having to stop for people queing on them.

I don't think penalty points will be included, I'm sure Niko doesn't have a valid driving license and he steals so many cars, they won't know that he was speeding or blocking the box.

in5dJdX.png

freshlaundryX

You're a criminal for sh*t sake. You do what you want. Like I've said many times before, people have gone way too overboard with this whole 'realistic' sh*t.

Niko: "Listen officer, I'm a criminal for sh*t's sake, I do what I want."

Officer: "Well, you got me there buddy. Move along."

--

So you think they added a sign that says: 'Fine: 2 Points' just for the hell of it? They couldn't think of anything else to add?

I'm sure many of the advertisements don't have consequences and are just there for fun, but I'm pretty sure the road signs will all have gameplay significance. And for that reason, I think 2 points means something in gameplay terms -- such as, driver's license points.

--

Also, they are going for 'realistic sh*t' except where it reduces fun. Coincidentally enough, however, it turns out that in many instances, realistic IS more fun.

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus

It's actually a really clever joke. You know how people (Jack Thompson) say you get points for killing people in GTA? They're making a joke out of that with criminal behavior that is extremely boring. biggrin.gif

It's almost like they're saying "since we already have the reputation, we feel obligated to gratify you for breaking the law in a videogame." See, it's a joke.

Edit: IV and other discrepancies.

Edited by Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus

BRUTUS WUZ HERE. LOLZ.

(Heroic reference. Not related to GTAF member by same name, g'dammit.)

Vanilla Shake
You're a criminal for sh*t sake. You do what you want. Like I've said many times before, people have gone way too overboard with this whole 'realistic' sh*t.

--

So you think they added a sign that says: 'Fine: 2 Points' just for the hell of it? They couldn't think of anything else to add?

I'm sure many of the advertisements don't have consequences and are just there for fun, but I'm pretty sure the road signs will all have gameplay significance. And for that reason, I think 2 points means something in gameplay terms -- such as, driver's license points.

--

Also, they are going for 'realistic sh*t' except where it reduces fun. Coincidentally enough, however, it turns out that in many instances, realistic IS more fun.

I don't associate following speed limits, stopping at red lights, and getting points knocked off of a f*cking driver's license with the term fun.

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

freshlaundryX

You learn something new every day.

Gridlock:

user posted image

"Don't block the box!" was a 1980s campaign to end gridlock in New York City. Drivers were reminded that "blocking the box" (an intersection, usually with white lines painted across it) would result in a fine and points on a license.

30 March 1981, New York Times, pg. B6:

They are called "antigridlock boxes," and they look like football end-zones plunked down in the middle of busy intersections in midtown Manhattan. (...) The idea of an antigridlock box is to keep traffic out of intersections to prevent "spillback," the backup that occurs when vehicles do not get all the way through an intersection before the traffic light changes.

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted image

It's just part of the environmental realism... Not real license points

Don't you think it would take away a lot from the game if they were to suspend your license and you had keep check of it all the time blah blah blah.... sigh.gif

How can people not know this? From how old can you drive in the US...?!?!?

Anyway I don't think it will have an affect as such things would RUIN the game.

freshlaundryX
I don't associate following speed limits, stopping at red lights, and getting points knocked off of a f*cking driver's license with the term fun.

Well, I guess you only have to worry about it if you get caught.

Did the cursing really emphasize your point there you hostile little sh*tstain?

Think about previous GTA's:

Did you get money deducted when you got arrested or killed?

Did you get your weapons taken away when you died?

Yes they did.

It's called consequences for your actions. They are there to provide a contrast for when you do get away with something you shouldn't have. Then you feel relieved rather than anguished at your failure to escape unscathed.

If you would prefer an arcade-style game to this more realistic iteration of GTA then I'm sure I could suggest some.

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus

I've never seen a sign like that, but I've only been driving for 3 months, and I mostly stay in the countryside.

BRUTUS WUZ HERE. LOLZ.

(Heroic reference. Not related to GTAF member by same name, g'dammit.)

freshlaundryX

Don't you think it would take away a lot from the game if they were to suspend your license and you had keep check of it all the time blah blah blah....  sigh.gif

No, I don't think it would take away anything. It would make you more aware of your current situation.

If they suspended my license then I would either take cabs to be safe or I would know I was driving illegally and drive like a bat out of hell from any cops that tried to pull me over.

If my license was fine and a cop flags me for speeding I would pull over and just pay the fine.

See the difference? It adds complexity to gameplay.

It has also been suggested that certain cops might be able to recognize you. That would add another interesting element.

--

Note: Besides, you most likely can bribe someone to restore your privileges or hack into the system and change your records. No worries.

Edited by freshlaundryX

I've never seen a sign like that, but I've only been driving for 3 months, and I mostly stay in the countryside.

Well I've never seen a sign - the big yellow criss-cross lines get the message accross!! I guess not in NYC dumbasses.

Anyway I don't think it will have an affect as such things would RUIN the game.

I've heard from 15 years old in some states.

This sh*t wont be in the game anyway, so there is no point in arguing over it. you guys make me laugh with your overblown realistic stuff. getting points taken off your license? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You're jokin right? You guys cant be serious? This game just needs to hurry up and come out, so you guys can quit it with this nonsense. There is no way in hell that would be even close to being fun..Ok im done. No point in stressin it. Like i said it wont be in the game anyway.

First, the original poster is probably looking too deep into this. The sign is probably intended to make the city look life-like. Though, I might be wrong. At this point, Rockstar employees are the only ones who know for certain.

Now, I'll touch on something else. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion when it comes to how much realism goes into this game. But it honestly irritates the hell out of me, when folks bash the living daylights out of anyone who would prefer actual traffic laws. I remember the old, old Driver games, where police would blue light you for running stop signs/traffic lights, or for speeding. It was fun. And why was it fun? Because if I do that in real life and a cop sees me, I'm either, going to jail or getting a hefty fine.

Sure, I know the argument is coming. 'It ruins missions! I don't want to have to worry about a cop blue-lighting me every, single time I speed!' Yeah. I know, I've heard this song and dance before. Many, many times before. But let me ask you this, who the hell said you had to stop? Who the hell said you couldn't outrun the cops? I remember a previous article, where the editors clearly stated that the faster cars could easily outrun the Liberty City police. Search it up if you want, I'm not playing librarian for you.

We've all got opinions, people. No two people are going to have the same. That's the joys of being different. But this whole 'I hate anything that resembles realism' crap is starting to really irk me. I made a previous post that pretty much covered my thoughts on this; though, I can't remember which thread it was in. I basically questioned some people's opinions on what's fun, when it almost seems as the majority of them want a game where they go around blasting mindless zombies in a world where there's law enforcement that merely look on as spectators. No thanks. I'll pass on your idea of "fun." I like a bit of challenge in my games - not an effin' cake walk.

And this, this has been my rather rude opinion.

freshlaundryX

I know that many of you children want to see a more simplistic GTA IV and I'm sure there will be many elements that you will enjoy in the game we are getting, but for those of us with a little more intellectual capacity and an ability to deal with complexity we want more realism presented in game mechanics. If I want an arcade shooter I can grab ANY old game off the shelf. I'm looking forward to GTA IV breaking that mold.

Anyway, realism has been stated so many times as a production objective that I shouldn't even have to do this, but here's some quotes since you don't believe me:

From Yahoo! Interviews Dan Houser:

Liberty City in GTA IV seems more realistic than past GTA games. What kind of challenges did that present?

We wanted to make a city that buzzes with life, with the personality and the energy of a real metropolis. Creating a believable and alive virtual world was one of our major goals with this game. In terms of challenge, creating a city that both looks and acts more realistically is exponentially more complicated than making something less alive. All of the details in the buildings and nuances in behavior have been lovingly crafted by the team. The realism is one of the reasons the game has taken three years to make, but for people with new consoles, we were determined to give them a game that would not have been possible to make on a previous machine -- and this means, among other things, added detail and fidelity.

GamePro:

According to the article, Rockstar are using less non-realistic elements than previous GTA games, such as arrows and markers assisting and indicating things to the player.

Playstation Magazine UK:

Missions will offer an increased amount of realism, and will be longer and more varied, some will even have multiple possible outcomes.

--

GTA IV-evah!

It depends on the state, and ranges from North Dakota with it's Learner's Permit at 14 and a full license at 14 1/2 years of age to the District of Columbia, where one can get a Learner's Permit at 16, a restricted license six months later, and a full license at 17, but as a conditional license until you turn 21.

They said it will be more realistic, but not in any of those previews did R* even hint at there being traffic laws. Hell even in the Kikizo preview, they said they revved the engine of the car and hit the gas, speeding down the street. And not in that whole preview did they say a cop tried to pull them over for speeding, or any of this overblown stuff.

They said the city itself will seem more realistic. Realistic can mean alot of things. Peds can react more realistically to situations. The cars can feel more realistic. The shooting can feel more realistic. The sound effects can sound more realistic. The lighting can be more realistic. Just cause you hear the word realistic doesnt mean it is going to be OVERLY realistic. Like something like traffic laws, and point deductions is just too OVERLY realistic. And i highly doubt it will be in the game.

Hell Niko can hang onto a helicopter that is 50 stories in the air. He can hang onto the backf a speeding truck. Some thing will be more realistic, but the core game will always be GTA. Hell from all the blood that was on his shirt it looks like we can still take a fair amount of bullets without dying. If this game was so realistic, 1 or 2 shots would be enough. All im saying is the city will feel more realistic, but not to the crazy extent that you guys are talking about.

It would be cool if when you get into a car, the car doesnt start straight away. You have to hold the trigger button to start the engine, just like in Burnout Paradise smile.gif

Effy in Chains
It would be cool if when you get into a car, the car doesnt start straight away. You have to hold the trigger button to start the engine, just like in Burnout Paradise smile.gif

Now that would be good.

Zs936OL.gif

You should also be able to rev the engine at standstill, to scare the peds, and do burnouts.

They_All_Float
Thanks Johnny. You basically took the words out of my mouth and I completely agree.

I also want something that isn't rehashed. More realistic touches (meaning, this game will still be lovable gta) will be what provides me with a real sense of next-gen gaming. It will be great icon14.gif no worries cookie.gif

That would just be stupid. You're a criminal for sh*t sake. You do what you want. Like I've said many times before, people have gone way too overboard with this whole 'realistic' sh*t. Rockstar never said they are making the game realistic, they said aspects will look and feel realistic, while it is still a game, and origional ideas will be used.

I appreciate the topic starter's effort icon14.gif

But seriously, he is right, you are a criminal, how the f*ck can a driver's license contribute to any fun or even a purpose?

So you lost your driver's license!!! now you can't steal cars, WTF!!!

--

--

So your saying that everything in the game is in there for a reason. GTA III, you couldnt get to the lightpost, and go inside, oh but wait, from what your saying you can.

And Vice City, how about the houses. They are there, and by what your saying you can go inside them.

San Andreas, there are trees, and by what your saying they are there and you can cut them down.

The reason that is there is for looks, and an actual feel or a real city. Do you really want to deduct points? Lose your licence, does that mean you can't drive? Hey, why don't Rockstar ad in real time, where you go to sleep, and watch Niko sleep for 8 hours. Or maybe they should ad a mini game where you eat food, and you have a fork and you pick what you eat?

EDIT: They said they are making a game. Not a virtual reality.

They_All_Float

--

--

So your saying that everything in the game is in there for a reason. GTA III, you couldnt get to the lightpost, and go inside, oh but wait, from what your saying you can.

And Vice City, how about the houses. They are there, and by what your saying you can go inside them.

San Andreas, there are trees, and by what your saying they are there and you can cut them down.

The reason that is there is for looks, and an actual feel or a real city. Do you really want to deduct points? Lose your licence, does that mean you can't drive? Hey, why don't Rockstar ad in real time, where you go to sleep, and watch Niko sleep for 8 hours. Or maybe they should ad a mini game where you eat food, and you have a fork and you pick what you eat?

EDIT: They said they are making a game. Not a virtual reality.

uhh... C, he wouldnt need a fork to eat his food. only a spoon, for his borscht.