Why are consoles?

GTASIX

Why are consoles made at the same time? Or at least announced at the same time?

E.G

Gamecube + PS2 + Xbox

PSP + DS

PS3 + 360

Vista + (something) Mac OS

Is it because of the technology coming out? Or do they do it just to compete?

it's probably a coincidence they come out at the same time. coming out at the same time means that there will be more competition between them which isn't good so imagine it's not intentional

The Night Fox
Why are consoles made at the same time? Or at least announced at the same time?

E.G

Gamecube + PS2 + Xbox

PSP + DS

PS3 + 360

Vista + (something) Mac OS

Is it because of the technology coming out? Or do they do it just to compete?

Both, though the main reason is to compete, The Ps2 beat Xbox and Gamecube at sales and out of the 3 Next gen consoles, PS3, Wi, and Xbox360, The Wii is the best selling, which is good because Xbox sucks-ass, and should never win. The PS3 looks pretty good though.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

YourNeighborhoodKiller

Xbox 360 came out a year earlier than PS3 did.

The PS3 looks pretty good though.

This wasn't PS3's year, wait until next year, for the heavy guns to come out, MGS4, God Of War 3, ect ect.

New account: Gezim

Its to compete obviously, all about teh monies. If Microsoft brought out a console and Son didn't, then the only choice would be to buy that console really. So other companies make one and compete.

@TNF: Lol, doesn't even sound like you've played one.

tfdt7hY.gif

cold fusion 33

It's because companies like Microsoft wouldn't bear to be able to sit and watch Sony making loads of money while they sit there watching without releasing a console, and vice-versa with Nintendo.

It's just for competition, see who can make most money, and as cold fusion said, companies couldn't bear to watch another rival making money, jealousy really.

I was under the impression that 360 came out in late 2005. I could be wrong, am I?

cold fusion 33

2 or so years isn't really that long i business terms due to the amount of time it takes for companies to get things done ie: Putting pen to paper, shipping the units, getting them to the store, testing them etc....

So really to Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo and the likes, time is apparently a lot slower in their world.

I was under the impression that 360 came out in late 2005. I could be wrong, am I?

They were announced at (around) the same time. And I said that in 1st post.

It's called economics. Companies will compete to make sure another company can not monopolize the market.

If you want to be technical about it, microsoft did get a head start in the new gen market by releasing their xbox 360 a year earlier than the PS3. This allowed them to have an increase in demand for that console generation thru the addition of people whom's Opportunity Cost of waiting for the PS3 was not greater than the benfits possible from getting an Xbox presently. This in turn increased microsofts total revenue to a point where they experienced an increase in profit. Sony waited to enter the next gen market till it was most ideal to them, allowing them to maximize their output thru the use of snappy additions to their systems that were not included by their competitor, while also allowing the market to cool down a bit so demand might increase again. Now the two are fighting each other to find natural market equilibrium which levels out the market. And guess who that's determined by, us. So go buy a new console or addition to your current and help your favorite corporations out.

(sorry I'm in the middle of studying for an Economics Final. Got economics on the brain waaay to much.) tounge.gif

sig.gif

Social: TOGA62

PS3: balltowellamp

The Wii is the best selling, which is good because Xbox sucks-ass, and should never win. The PS3 looks pretty good though.

Please tell me how the X-Box sucks ass yet the Spiderman+Talladega Nights Player doesn't when it doesn't have as many games ( or at least, worthwhile games)?

The Wii is the best selling

Because Nintendo has the whole supply and demand thing down to a tee. tounge.gif

Case in point: Last Monday we received 43 Wiis. We sold out of those suckers in 20 minutes.

Because someone who wants to buy console A might buy console B instead because it came out sooner.

user posted image

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintindo should all work together!

NOT

Keep in mind one thing, Microsoft has the purchasing power and capital to buy out virtually any company they wanted, and Sony not only makes computers which use the Windows operating system but Microsoft is also gaining control and/or support of developers, 'intellectual property,' and franchises which used to be 'Playstation exclusives.'

And outside of the Sony realm (IE: Nintendo) many, traditionally Nintendo only, franchises are poking out their heads as downloads on Xbox Live arcade, such as Super Mario, Metroid, etc.

So domination of the console market isn't a how, but rather a when.

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintindo should all work together!

NOT

Keep in mind one thing, Microsoft has the purchasing power and capital to buy out virtually any company they wanted, and Sony not only makes computers which use the Windows operating system but Microsoft is also gaining control and/or support of developers, 'intellectual property,' and franchises which used to be 'Playstation exclusives.'

And outside of the Sony realm (IE: Nintendo) many, traditionally Nintendo only, franchises are poking out their heads as downloads on Xbox Live arcade, such as Super Mario, Metroid, etc.

So domination of the console market isn't a how, but rather a when.

I'd hate it if there wasn't any competition on the market

cause competition=good for the customer

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.