Artificial-Intellegince: On The Road

Nineteen71

So with all these advancements in pedestrians' attitudes, tasks and routines, plus the way they react both physically, verbally and so forth.. do you think this will carry on to the drivers on the road? I say this because I was playing NFS: ProStreet, and when you crash or your car comes to a complete stop, other racers slow down, or swerve to get out of the way of your crashing vehicle, in order to avoid collision, so what do you think about other drivers in the game driving realistically, and wouldn't it be cool to see other people have accidents?

Also, one thing I always disliked about the traffic, is say for example you were in San Andreas, out in the countryside... and you stand in the middle of the road... cars are traveling at normal highway speeds and when they get to you they come to a complete stop without slowing down.. It's like they're going 70mph and all the sudden there you are, or your car, and they stop unrealistically in less than a second. I'm not sure if I'm painting the picture clear enough for you to understand what I'm saying, but I hope you get it somewhat, yes sometimes they did end up rear-ending you but most of the time they just stopped with ridiculously amazing breaks coming to a complete stop in less than a second, basically I just hope traffic is more realistic, and smoother, etc.

Yeah, the traffic is hopefully much improved. In addition to realistic stopping speeds, I hope that they obey traffic lights realistically.

Also, if getting pulled over is an option, I hope it can happen to NPCs also. It'd be cool to see a cop giving someone else a ticket. OR maybe sometimes the car doesn't stop! And it turns into a pursuit! And you can watch it on in-game TVs and see the helicopter view.

I'm being serious, that'd be sick. biggrin.gif

You're absolutely right. I think what you were trying to say is that the braking distances for cars were far shorter than in real life.

Imagine what might be possible in IV, with the advanced physics, etc....

It's raining heavy in Time Square [R* equivalent name tounge.gif], you're running from a cop, and cut through the middle of the street. A ped controlled car swerves out of the way to avoid you, hydroplanes a couple hundred feet while spinning out of control and finally crashing into a light pole.

Now imagine that, but a multiple car pile up.

Possible? Seems reasonable, but who knows. lol

As much as I'd like to see all the things you guys have said, I doubt these details would be implemented into the game. But we can always hope.

As much as I'd like to see all the things you guys have said, I doubt these details would be implemented into the game. But we can always hope.

Thats what these forums are for. colgate.gif

I wouldn't mind seeing a few peds doing some handbrake turns, driving crazy to get away from the police.

T'would be such awesomeness to see other people getting chased, and caught! colgate.gif

I hated how cars changed lanes for no reason, and they never gave way.

The traffic AI needs a whole overhaul, it was the worst in SA.

I remember on SA I was driving on the freeway, minding the triffic laws when all of the sudden a car I was besides changed lanes! Right into me! It made me spin otu of controle and smash into a cop. Who tried and failed (because I shot him) to arest me. And I ended up getting wasted. All because The AI sucks.

The End.

Oh yeah... It was really bad. Need's to be fixed up.

I find those ^ issues more amusing then not. I was thinking of starting a thread on AI but the subject has been knocked around a bit. What I would like to bring up is differences between each series AI and what you feel has been improved or remains firmly rooted, for good or bad, to a particular GTA. I feel that each GTA offers some unique features, at least as I get the feeling while playing, do you feel the same? Maybe Rockstar is trying to provide exclusive value to each game, making it's playing value last outside of each new installment. This is certainly true in regard to characters and radio songs used in Vice of course.

I thought about this last night while I was stopping to entervine in any cop vs ped chase. In San Andreas, if you tried to aid the police, you had to be stealthy. Alot of staying out of sight when committing an act, even outside of shadows, can work for you. Police also daqrt about trying to get to their vehicle after shooting someone they're after. If their vehicle is blocked as most often the case due to the other ped drivers frantic actions... You'd note them grabbing a civilion (SP?)'s vehicle and riding/driving off. This really made me laugh as the cop was stealing my motorcycle and I wanted to stop him.

Some of these quirks are indearing but also part of the something of a flawed AI system. All in all AI in games is one of the hardest challenges and a living breathing sandbox world, much harder to get right.

BILL

Yeah, the traffic is hopefully much improved. In addition to realistic stopping speeds, I hope that they obey traffic lights realistically.

Also, if getting pulled over is an option, I hope it can happen to NPCs also. It'd be cool to see a cop giving someone else a ticket. OR maybe sometimes the car doesn't stop! And it turns into a pursuit! And you can watch it on in-game TVs and see the helicopter view.

I'm being serious, that'd be sick. biggrin.gif

Sorry to double post with this, but another thing that REALLY needs fixing is fire started at street level should effect more then cars and you, peds should also catch fire as they do during FireFighter side missions. Rockstar seems to have the ability to make this happen and it would so add to the fun!!

I loved the car random car accidents on the highways. I wish they had car accidents on the roads like fender benders, Cars pull out in front of another car etc etc etc...

Also i loved the baggage handlers that would drive down the highway really fast, and when you would try to get in them and drive they were slow. sad.gif

Tommy-Vercetti19

and what if they had street racers crashing drifting and sliding all over the street

user posted image

yo wassup jim?

Heres a bit from Game Informers Q&A after the first demo:

How is the AI? Are the enemies smarter? Can they find cover?

This is another area that Rockstar is keeping under wraps at the moment. I can, however, tell you that I saw a truck driver swerve onto the sidewalk right in front of where we were walking. This strange little incident also took the Rockstar representatives by surprise. It almost looked like the driver was drunk, but then again, he could have just been in a hurry too.

Just the fact that you can take a cab anywhere without "trip skip" and survive will be a huge improvement.

Well I don't really care what the civilian driver AI is like, I just hope that the police AI is leaps and bounds from what it was in the last game... From what I've seen of the police driving in the trailers, it doesn't look too hopeful! They still make really random and jerky turns and go all over the road.

The peds need to have proper conversatons which you can listen into.

Obviously a sh*t load of the games humor has been coming from that and I would hate for Rockstar to neglect it in any way, shape or form. I have to say, I forgot about that description of the truck driver... Obviously they were taken back by it and it could be part of the work that has been done on the game to now. No way to know for sure, but I think we will generally be surprised. Recall the scene of High Noon mission? I had a wanted level while trying to do it... The Cop Blazer showed up right where the mission marker was and the mission started. Like the hollow planes in Vice, the animations showed right through the Blazer skeleton! There was also a scene I witnessed the other day as Vertical Bird was initiated. You are going to the car from the mansion with Mike Toreno as you are headed to the boat, a plane flew by left to right on the top of the cutscene! God knows that is not supposed to happen, but it did!

I love some of this zany stuff taking me by surprise!

You're absolutely right. I think what you were trying to say is that the braking distances for cars were far shorter than in real life.

Yeah pretty much, although they had no stopping distance, it was just driving along, and then outta nowhere, STOP lol