Securing my wireless network

TheGuyFromThere

TheGuyFromThere

With wireless quickly becoming the norm in houses now, I'm a bit concerned that the Johnsons next door might cotton on to mine and decide to use it.

Now I have a password set, so before you can connect to my router you need to enter it.

I've been reading a lot about wireless security and I'm not entirely convinced that I've saveguarded myself... Theres a lot of things mentioned, WEP keys, SSID, and some other stuff that I don't understand.

I understand how a WEP key works from reading about them, but how do I get one and how do I make it work?

I don't know where the manual is to my router, so I don't know how to enable SSID on it... though I'm sure a quick google would help me out.

What is the best way to safeguard my wireless from other ppl using it?

My laptop and a desktop relies on it. Well, the desktop is plugged in via ethernet.

The router is a Thomson Speedtouch 585 and I have I think 1.5MB internet.

inactive

i'm having a SpeedTouch 780WL since last year's summer.

Go to site "speedtouch.lan" on your browser (no in IE7, it don't let you to log in if you have a password on it) and configure it from there.

You can find a WEP or WPA key from below of your router.

WPA is most secured.

TheGuyFromThere

Ok but how do I set up WPA? Or is this all doable from that .lan website?

I'll check it out now.

Securing my wireless and adding all this WPA, WEP, SSID, etc etc. It wont slow my connection or anything?

inactive

Fozzy Fozborne

You set up WPA, SSID, MAC address filtering, etc by going to 192.168.1.1 or the other two addresses (it says which in the manual), clicking on the security tab, then disabling SSID, enabling WPA and putting in your MAC address. Then you click save.

Now your network won't show up when you scan for networks unless you put in the SSID. Then it asks for your WPA key which has to be correct. The MAC filter will only allow computers on the list to connect to the network, everything else will be blocked from connecting.

Of course, all these things can be circumvented, but that takes many hours to do and most people wouldn't bother to do it unless they were hardcore hackers.

Sorry for the genericness of the instructions, but they just show what you can do on most routers.

Hope that helped ya.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.