4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

nicox86x

Errors during install

Question

nicox86x

angry.gif ok so i havent played in years right. but i was walking around target and saw vice city sitting there and had to have it. i brought it home and tried to install it. im on windows xp btw.

i must have gotted 20 errors of missing or corrupt files. cab files and mp3 files mostly. i choose to ignore them and finish the install and see if the game would work.

well everything works fine till its loading the 'new game'. then i get an unhandled exp.. something error. i read the main pinned bug thread. and it mentioned something about a mod causing the problem, but this is a store bought version of the game with no mods.

i really cant figure it out. anyhelp would be great guys thanks!

28 answers to this question

nicox86x

aw come on guys dont just veiw the topic and ignore it. i really need the help, i love this game and i just cant figure this one out on my own. confused.gif

gtamodder

Uninstall the game.

Clean your Vice City disc.

Install game.

If you still get errors after cleaning disc, then you may have to buy a new one.

Fix a scratched CD

nicox86x

1. intel pentium 4 cpu 2.66ghz

2. 1gb of ram (ddr 400)

3. ati radeon 9000 (rv250)

4. windows xp pro

5. unsure, but updated frequently.

6. via ac'97 "enhanced audio controller"

7. this is my first install, its a brand new disc, in box, there were errors while installing, i uninstalled it last night, reinstalled it using a different cd rom, and choose not to install the "vice city radio station". even after the reinstall the game stil has the same problem.

8. pics:

cap of error:

user posted image

cap of in game screen at time of error:

user posted image

cap of windows error message:(the result of clicking 'ok' on the game error.)

user posted image

Edited by nicox86x

nicox86x

here are the errors that popped up during the install:

1. user posted image

2. user posted image

3. user posted image

4. user posted image

5. user posted image

6. user posted image

7. user posted image

8. user posted image

9. iv already given a problem discription.

Edited by nicox86x

Spuds725

Very detailed-- thanks...

it does appear to be a corrupt disk-- I know you said its new, might still be damaged/corrupt.

Have you had any issues with that CD drive?? Do you have another you could install with and/or swap out with the one in that PC. Maybe even try installing on another PC just to see if it is a problem specific to your PC.

Did you try to uninstall it and then reinstall-- maybe it was something screwy at the time... perhaps try disabling a bunch of background programs (specifically your antivirus/security programs)-- I've never heard of installs being interfered with by them but you never know-- I know some programs are very intrusive.

I did check out their (Target's) return policy...

http://www.target.com/b/ref=br_bx_1/601-47...8&node=13685491

it said for software "unopened" but I don't know it they will exchange for the same item if you claim its damaged and you have your receipt showing you just bought it-- they should, what would you gain by getting the same piece of software.

Edited by Spuds725

Joker2937

Have you tried to install the version1.1 patch. It does work but only if you know what version your vc software is.

Good luck. It may say that it doesn't know what version it is then you will have to contact take2games .co.uk/.com for advice.

Spuds725
Have you tried to install the version1.1 patch. It does work but only if you know what version your vc software is.

Good luck. It may say that it doesn't know what version it is then you will have to contact take2games .co.uk/.com for advice.

The patch was for some video driver issues, it was obsolete within months after its release due to drivers being updated. I doubt the patch will help with install problems.

Nico-- did you look back to see if the files that you got messages for were actually installed or not??

(updated the topic title to better reflect the problem)

nicox86x

The patch was for some video driver issues, it was obsolete within months after its release due to drivers being updated. I doubt the patch will help with install problems.

Nico-- did you look back to see if the files that you got messages for were actually installed or not??

(updated the topic title to better reflect the problem)

thats why it was a little hard to find lol. yeah i checked, the files didnt get installed.

[content removed by staff-- NO WAREZ DISCUSSION].

also, there arent any problems with the drives, ones even brand new, and theyve worked fine with many other tpyes of cds dvds and programs.

ive been fighting with target and had to go to the supervisors of the national office in the returns department and still they wont give me my money back lol.

i can only return it for the same disc, which i plan on doing tomorrow.

on the second install i did kill ALL other programs lol, including during the test game, that still wound up having the same error.

also, i did try the 1.1 patch, and searched for others but didnt find any working links with other patches that i found, most were mods anyway. and i didnt install them. i did how ever install the first patch, 1.1, it didnt help. didnt hurt either.

Edited by Spuds725

Spuds725

No Warez discussion-- removed references from your post.

Please read the forum rules-- Located Here

Thanks

Spider-Vice

Woah!!! You (the topic starter) have errors in all the files!!! Your game crashes on the middle of the loading because of gta3.img and please... God! Buy a new Game!!!

nicox86x
No Warez discussion-- removed references from your post.

Please read the forum rules-- Located Here

Thanks

^--duelly noted. thanks.

the "magic copy" didnt work, and its to cold to take the cd back today. im going to look for someof the missing files else where. check back in later.

Ring_of_Fire

Come on people. The guys disc is obviously damaged for him refusing to take care of discs properly as if its a very difficult thing to do.

I bet if you use CDCHECK it immediately finds errors on the disc. http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/download.php moto_whistle.gif

Spider-Vice

I use that on a DVD and i see some errors in GTA III DVD

nicox86x
Come on people. The guys disc is obviously damaged for him refusing to take care of discs properly as if its a very difficult thing to do.

I bet if you use CDCHECK it immediately finds errors on the disc. http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/download.php moto_whistle.gif

dude, can you not read, its a brand new disc, i never even touched the under side of it. theres not even a finger print on the under side. it has nothing to do with my care.

Ring_of_Fire

but i was walking around target and saw vice city sitting there and had to have it.

dude, can you not read, its a brand new disc, i never even touched the under side of it. theres not even a finger print on the under side. it has nothing to do with my care.

^ STOP LYING! CRC error message are as a result of damaged disc. If you don't believe me, then at least prove it by installing CDCHECK and tell us if any error messages show up!

Heck, look even at what SA_BMX said...

Buy a new Game!!!
Edited by Ring_of_Fire

nicox86x

this is a new game. brand new, but im taking it back for another copy.

heres the screen cap of the cdcheck.

user posted image

thats the install cd.

user posted image

and thats the play cd.

Ring_of_Fire

OK, you prove to your yourself.

Tell me what your CD/DVD-ROM model is. It's time to update the FIRMWARE for it!

^ By the way, I hope this ain't a burnt copy, but instead the original. If it isn't, then you better hope that you did do it properly!

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

Spuds725

Ring... please stop the warez accusing.

The warez references I deleted had NOTHING to do with burning game discs-- I'm convinced the comments he made in that post were innocent mistakes (as he had not read the forum rules), and based on what Nico has written, I do believe his posts have all been truthful.

The discs could be new and the files/disk corrupted when manufactured-- if this is the fact, I don't see a legal remedy beyond exchanging the disks for different ones. If Target won't do it, then Taketwo should, although you will likely have to return the damaged/corrupt ones along with a copy of your receipt I imagine.

Edited by Spuds725

nicox86x
Ring... please stop the warez accusing.

The warez references I deleted had NOTHING to do with burning game discs-- I'm convinced the comments he made in that post were innocent mistakes (as he had not read the forum rules), and based on what Nico has written, I do believe his posts have all been truthful.

The discs could be new and the files/disk corrupted when manufactured-- if this is the fact, I don't see a legal remedy beyond exchanging the disks for different ones. If Target won't do it, then Taketwo should, although you will likely have to return the damaged/corrupt ones along with a copy of your receipt I imagine.

thanks for trusting in my posts spud, i know target will return it for anotehr copy. im just dredding installing another corrupt cd, and again and again.... sorry bout the wares, i did not read the rules before you supplied me with a link in this topic.

ill install the new one when i stop being lazy and go to return it, and see how it works, if it works youll probably hear from me again concerning some modding lol. some of the stuff people have come up with, since i stopped playing, is really cool. anyways thanks guys.

Ring_of_Fire

Demarest used to say it could also be because of a bad CD/DVD drive reader. Why not try updating the firmware since CDCHECK states the discs are perfectly fine? confused.gif

The discs could be new and the files/disk corrupted when manufactured

This guy's problem was fixed by updating the firmware http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtop...st&p=1057272251

user posted image

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

nicox86x

well i was f*cking right. took the game back, replaced it. its corrupt too. same damn files too. theres only one copy left now! i tried to call rockstar games but its to late. ill call again tomorrow. i cant f*ckin believe this..

Ring_of_Fire

Wow another VC disc crashes for you? I think you should update the firmware for your drive...

Anyway, I don't know if you call installing from your hard disk drive a good idea by copy and pasting every file that's on your disc onto your C:\ drive? -> http://support.eidosinteractive.com/index....0,981,1012,1013 Also, you should try making an ISO image of your disc and mounting it using virtual drives to see if no problems occur. If it works, then it was your CD/DVD drive.

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

nicox86x

Wow another VC disc crashes for you? I think you should update the firmware for your drive...

Anyway, I don't know if you call installing from your hard disk drive a good idea by copy and pasting every file that's on your disc onto your C:\ drive? -> http://support.eidosinteractive.com/index....0,981,1012,1013 Also, you should try making an ISO image of your disc and mounting it using virtual drives to see if no problems occur. If it works, then it was your CD/DVD drive.

its not the firmware, i aleady tested that theory by copying the contents of the disc to the hard drive and installing form the directory, which still didnt work.

and honestly i dont know how to make an iso of the disc, i thought isos only worked for linux anyway. maybe not i dont know much about them, but ill try anything once. i also dont know how to mount it into a virtual drive.

Edited by nicox86x

Ring_of_Fire

Download Alcohol which can make images and mount. http://www.free-downloads.net/downloads/Alcohol_120_/

Just use the Image Making Wizard and then mount the .iso using the virtual drive. Once you have done this, this wil determine whether it was a damaged disc or a bad reader like Demarest used to say! devil.gif

I think you probably have to buy a new disc, but let's find out...

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

Spuds725

He said he exchanged it already--

I find the odds of 2 corrupt disks, the same files being corrupt, very unlikely-- unless Rockstart sent out an entire lot of games with these files screwed up-- they would probably know about it if this happened.

Ring_of_Fire

But it's just weird that I doubt if someone walks into a beautiful-looking gaming store like let's say EBGames, they end up getting corrupt discs? The only reason why I suggest mounting an image to a virtual drive is because CDCHECK says the disc ain't damage, which means the hash and the data on the disc itself is perfectly fine.

When I buy used brand new games from EBGames, I never get corrupted disc. Why?

nicox86x

ok i recant everything. its got to be my computer. i just bought the orange box set of half life 2 and it wont work either. im going to start working on it now, thanks guys sorry bought this.