Help :)

Ryuranger

Hey guys, Im getting my PC Upgraded for Christmas,

Heres the Current Specs:

My Computers pretty old ^_^

128MB Video Card

1.8 GHZ Pentium 4 Processor ( Over clocked to 2.4 GHZ )

256MB DDR Ram

CD-RW Burner

DVD Burner

Motherboard ( With 6 USB Ports, Keyboard Port, Mouse Port, Ethernet Port ect... )

Now early this Year I had bought some Parts for the Computer, and being the dumbass I am I bought the Wrong parts that didn't fit into the Motherboard, I bought the Following;

256MB Video Card

1GB DDR2 Ram

Now is it Possible to still keep the Processor and Just put in a New Motherboard so that It will all work?

I'll probably have a Budget of like $300 - $400, So if I can get a good Mobo for $100 I might get more Ram and Maybe a New Processor.

Help would be Appreciated guys smile.gif

You should be able to get another gig of ram, a new mobo, and a c2d cpu for that price.

EDIT: Where are you buying?

I'll probably have a Budget of like $300 - $400, So if I can get a good Mobo for $100 I might get more Ram and Maybe a New Processor.

You certainly can.

You'll need a new motherboard, you won't find any that can use a P4 and also support DDR2 RAM. However, like les said, you should be able to get a new motherboard, ram, and a new CPU on your budget. I would expect that if you kept the RAM you have now, you could find a motherboard and a CPU for $120-$140 at the cheapest.

Anyway, what's with everyone suggesting 2 gigs of ram now days? Is this more of a reflection of games? I run a lot of stuff on my desktop and I almost never even use one whole gig of my RAM. It does indeed come in handy for running virtual machines, but without them, I've never really notice just desktop applications being that ram intensive.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

Thanks alot guys, I might go with the 2GB of Ram since some newer games are asking for a sh*tload of it.

I'll probably get the Stuff done this Weekend probably, Cause I'll drop the Computer off to them and They should be able to install the Parts smile.gif

Fozzy Fozborne

If we're talking about an LGA775 P4, then yes almost every motherboard that works with a Core 2 Duo will also support the P4 and DDR2. If it's an older 478, then a few of them support DDR2 such as This one.

Keep in mind that that board is a PCI Express, so if you have an AGP graphics card, it will not work.

Oh, and RAM is huge these days, especially with Vista and new games which practically demand 2GB of RAM. Plus, 2 gigs is only $40-50 these days.

Hope that helped.

being the dumbass I am I bought the Wrong parts

Hope you learned something from that.

For $400 you can buy a new mobo and CPU that will run a lot faster than your current P4. Make sure that the mobo a) has the slot for your graphics chip, b) supports DDR2 RAM (most boards now do), and c) you don't overload your PSU. Otherwise, you might have to upgrade the PSU as well, and that would be another $50 or so. (Don't be too cheap with PSU. Not worth it.)

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Anyway, what's with everyone suggesting 2 gigs of ram now days? Is this more of a reflection of games? I run a lot of stuff on my desktop and I almost never even use one whole gig of my RAM. It does indeed come in handy for running virtual machines, but without them, I've never really notice just desktop applications being that ram intensive.

2 gigs is just so cheap nowadays it isn't worth it to just get one. I use more than a gig on a regular basis.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.