Sound modeling

RidingHigh

There's a lot of discussion on IV's graphics and lighting and all that visual stuff. But what about the sound? We can't forget the importance of acoustics. I felt the sound modeling in SA was disspointing. There was no echos from gun fire, cars or sirens at all. Whether you were out in the middle of the desert, in downtown city streets or a parking garage, everything sounded exactly the same. GTA3 and VC at least had a 3D sound option that would give some reverberation in tunnels and garages.

I hope they spent as much time on sound modeling as they did on the graphics, I feel it's just as important to the gameplay experience. I want to hear those terrifying echos that guns and sirens make in the city streets near tall buildings. Anyone familiar with the film Heat will know what I mean. There should be a big difference in sound from the city to the suberbs and more open areas. Take the new screenshot with the helicopter between all buildings, I'd imagine that to be extremely loud compared to if it were flying through a field.

This is the scene from Heat I was talking about.

Edited by RidingHigh

I think I read in a gamer mag that the sound is vastly improved and much more realistic and 'echoey'. I'll see if I can find where I found it.

yer im pretty sure i read that u can hear the radio from passing cars, but the sounds muffled... like SR...

so thats an improvment, for sure

Exkabewbikadid

I think the audio was discussed in one of the previews, can't remember which one now. But yeah, given that both consoles are capable of simultaneously streaming many sounds, hopefully they'll take full advantage of the hardware and bring the city to life.

oQywcQM.jpg

Would be f*cking cool if they had similar sounds as in heat......it is the best shooting scean in the history...the sounds is so awsome!

I've long tried to discuss 5.1 surround but it seemed to get locked as it wondered off of GTA4 I guess. I want DTS back in the game, but Dolby Digital multichannel for 5.1 works well enough too. There SHOULD be enough space.

It doesn't sound like a movie,  nor does it sound like a video game. It sounds like real life.

Playstation3 Name: Simseth

Add me!