little advice

gonzo_a_gogo

hey guys,

im pretty ignorant in regards to video cards and the more i try and learn from our friend Mr. Internet the harder it is for me to decide what to get...

im running SA at 800 x 600 and it runs/looks OK but im getting sick of it (especially when i duck back into VC and it looks AWESOME).

i have 300-350 (400 at MAX) aussie bucks to spend. what do you recommend i get? i found this but.. well, is this sh*t? cheers

XFX GF 8600GTS 256M Ext [PV-T84G-UDE3], PCI-e, DVI/DVI/TV $302.00 inc GST

PV-T84G-UDE3, PV-T84G-UDE7 128 bit 32 GB/sec 10.8 billion/sec GeForce™ 8600 GTS 400 MHz 32 1450 MHz NVIDIA’s fourth-generation GPU architecture built for Windows Vista gives users the best possible experience with the Windows Aero 3D graphical user interface.

Memory Interface 128 bit

Memory Bandwidth 32 GB/sec

Fill Rate 10.8 billion/sec

Chipset GeForce™ 8600 GTS

RAMDACs 400 MHz

Stream Processors 32

Shader Clock 1450 MHz

Memory Clock 2.18 GHz

Dual Link DVI - Supporting digital output up to 2560x1600 Dual

Clock rate 720 MHz

Memory 256 MB

Bus Type PCI-E

Memory Type DDR3

Memory Bus 128 bit

Highlighted Features RoHS, HDCP Ready, SLI ready, Dual DVI Out, HDTV ready, TV Out.

Fozzy Fozborne

Ignore the last 3 posters for now. What kind of motherboard do you have? If it's a prebuilt PC (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc) what brand and model number is your computer?

The reason why we have to know is because you need a PCI express slot to run any 8XXX series cards and older PC's don't have them.

Also, if you know it, post your CPU and RAM (size and speed).

There's no use putting a Ferrari engine (8800 series card) in a Pinto.

Yeah, you need to know if you have AGP, PCI or PCI-E (express) ports on your mother board. If you find out what model PC you have (ie, Gateway 507GR) you can probably find out what motherboard you have by searching. That way you can find out what port(s) type your mother board has.

Almost all current graphics cards are PCI-E (and maybe AGP, I'm not sure), and all 8 series are definitely. If yours is PCI, then you can't get an 8 series card.

@Fozzy, there would be a use for putting a Ferrari engine in a Pinto. To go f*cking nuts and peel out for miles! lol.gif

But I know what you mean. Another thing you can add to that, is the size. Same applies in this situation, gotta make sure the card can fit in the case too.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

yeah - probably should have posted this earlier - im running on:

AMD athlon 64 processor 3800+ 2.4 ghz

3 gig RAM

NVIDIA geforce 8500 GT

160 gig hd

VISTA

(i have PCI-e slots)

...so yeah, what should i look at for about 300-400 AUSSIE $$$?

3 gig RAM

NVIDIA geforce 8500 GT

160 gig hd

VISTA

(i have PCI-e slots)

I can honestly say that I haven't been keeping up with video cards, but that machine should run San Andreas without any problems. Maybe disabling the frame limiter under SA's display options would make it run a bit smoother?

GTA3Freak-2001

8800GT is probably what you want although San Andreas should run well on what you've got so its poor performance maybe another issue. You can get a 8800GT for around the $300 - $400 mark although right now the demand is so high that they are sometimes going for over 400 bucks but that should come down in the coming months.

Yeah, those PC specs should play GTA pretty much flawlessly. I have a 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2, but with an 8600GT 256mb (now 2), and only 2GB of ram, and when I had the single 8600GT it played just fine with highest settings and x1 AA (x3 would get choppy, but I think it was a faulty install). And that was at 1440x900 res.

I don't see why it doesn't look good for you with the 8500GT, can't believe would be that much worse. But hey, if you want a new card, go for it.

Here's an 8800GT for $270 at Newegg.com, which has great, fast service and damn low prices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150252

EDIT: Whoops, out of stock there. Looks like the only one in the $200-300 price range is this guy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121099

Falls in at the bottom end of your price range (should be like $310 AUD).

Edited by Picolini

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

8800 GT sounds pretty good - thanks guys!!

BUT...

well, maybe im being picky but... i run SA at 800 x 600 with fx on high and frame limiter off and minimal draw distance. it runs ok but when im driving or when things get heated it gets real choppy.. PLUS it just doesnt look/run as nice as VC... i want it to runn /look GOOD.

SOOOOOOOO.

i guess my real question is: would getting the 8800gt make much of a diff to the performance/look of SA (and vc for that matter)? can my computer take it??

thanks so much already guys - been a big help.

i guess my real question is: would getting the 8800gt make much of a diff to the performance/look of SA (and vc for that matter)? can my computer take it??

If you have a PCI Express (PCI-e) port. If you are thinking that it may bottleneck your system, then you don't have to worry about that since a performance upgrade is going to be already a performance improvement.

Never knew the 8800GTs would turn out to be so costly. I picked up mine for 284$ and I highly recommend it smile.gif

Toni Antonio Cipriani

3 gig RAM

NVIDIA geforce 8500 GT

160 gig hd

VISTA

(i have PCI-e slots)

I don't know, but if the Nvidia GeForce 8500GT AND your Motherboard supports SLI, you might wanna get the same card you have now and SLI it (dual cards, better performance). That's what I reccomend. Anyway, I have an 8600GT, Vista Ultimate and 2GB RAM and I can run San Andreas at 1440x900 resolution at FULL SPEED. If you have 3GB RAM and GeForce 8500 GT, I don't get it. Why do you choose to run SA at the least possible resolution (800x600)?

If you have 3GB RAM and GeForce 8500 GT, I don't get it. Why do you choose to run SA at the least possible resolution (800x600)?

because it runs like a donkey and looks like sh*t.. am i missing something?

It'll look much better if you run it at a resolution equal to what your screen is recommended to be ran at.

As for putting your current 8500GT in SLi as Toni suggest, I dunno. Is that the 512mb or 256mb? Even if it's the 256mb, getting a second one making a combined 512mb, I doubt the card together would be able to use that much effectively. It's kind of low on it's other specs.

I've got a 2 8600GT's in SLi, it's only a step up from the 8500GT, but I probably wouldn't have set up SLi if it was an 8500GT I originally had. Just my 2 cents on that subject.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

GTA3Freak-2001

Just to clarify, this 8500GT you've got is an actual physical card right and not an onboard version?

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.