The cable-car

mista morino

Hi all, by now all of you have seen the new box art. If you pay attention( as I know you do ) you see a cable-car in one of the pictures. Do you think that we will be able to go in and take it as a mean of transportation ( possible vantage point ) ? Or will we be limited to look at it ( like in SA for the tramways ) ? Also , to those of you who know the city well, is there a cable-car in New York ? I've only been there once , and I've never seen one. One last thing, if we have access to that cable car,do you think that we will be able to go out during the trip using the roof access door ? Your thoughts please...

CarpetDweller

It's probably better for us to assume that we can't go inside and it's just there for looks. However I only choose to believe this because I'd rather have a surprise new feature than a dissapointing missing one. Just because some thing appears on the box art doesn't mean we can use it. They had a helicopter on the GTAIII cover.

It could work like the tram in San Fierro and the best you can do is jump on top and take a ride, or they could work in the same way as the ferries in LCS. In LCS you just drove to the ferry start point and then watched the cutscene of the ferry travelling. The next time you had control was when you had disembarked at the other end of the ferry ride. It was possible to get onto a moving ferry but hard to stay on if I remember correctly.

I think my hopes for this would be that I can get a ride on a cable car and move around inside (as one of the selcted view options) where I could interact with other passengers and open the door and maybe even climb on top. I think the most likely way it will work will be along the same line as the new passenger view in the taxi cab.

I don't know if there is a real one on New York. There was one in the first Spider-Man film. Of course there is an L-train in Spider-Man 2 and I don't think there's been one of those in New York for sometime. It's all fiction and completely believable so it doesn't really matters.

user posted image

Rockstar wont make the same mistake with San Andreas, why did they do that anyway? Everything you think you should be able to interact with will be.

Algonquin Bridge

I hope that you can go in the cable car, interact with passengers, wander about inside, go onto the roof, open the doors and fling passengers out of it. It could also be a feature in a mission- you have an exchange in the cable car, when it stops moving and you're attacked by a helicopter- Dear lord, it's a double cross!

And so on. Now, I'd be really impressed by R* if they had included control stations where Niko could sneak in and mess about with the speed controls. Perhaps stage a fatal accident by using the control stations at the Cable Car stops, or by using controls in the Cable Car Cabin, set the Cable Car to speed out of control to crash into the stop, whilst you parachute out to safety.

etc.

CarpetDweller

By the sound of it there will be an airport. I guess there'll be aircraft at the airport that they've already said we can't use. Hopefully these will be implemented in a way that seems realistic like just locking them or having no steps to get to the door, but there will be things in the game that can't be used as they potentially could be in reality. They just need to avoid what I call the "ladder issue" in San Andreas.

They had ladders that you coun't climb. This reminded us that we were just in a game. There was no need for the ladders at all so why put them there?!

I am expecting the cable cars to work as follows:

Walk up to door, Niko automatically steps in and we lose control. We can switch between a few different cinematic views of the exterior of the cable car as it travels. We regain control as Niko steps off.

I would hope that we can jump from the bridge on to the top of it and stay there in control for the duration of the journey.

user posted image

I'd love to see a close-quarters fight in the cable car. Lots of environmental interaction and really brutal.

It looks like Niko and possibly Officer McReary? are fighting in the cable car. It looks as if Niko is going to swing a punch, look at both their stances.

I just noticed that. It looks like my idea could happen. Wow, and there I was just nicking ideas from From Russia With Love.

I hope that you can go in the cable car, interact with passengers, wander about inside, go onto the roof, open the doors and fling passengers out of it. It could also be a feature in a mission- you have an exchange in the cable car, when it stops moving and you're attacked by a helicopter- Dear lord, it's a double cross!

And so on. Now, I'd be really impressed by R* if they had included control stations where Niko could sneak in and mess about with the speed controls. Perhaps stage a fatal accident by using the control stations at the Cable Car stops, or by using controls in the Cable Car Cabin, set the Cable Car to speed out of control to crash into the stop, whilst you parachute out to safety.

etc.

Ok, I know that GTA VI is not supposed to cameo any movy scenes, but Have any of you seen the James Bond movy Moonraker ? It has a nice scene were the vilain ( I think his name is Jaws ) messes around with the controls of the cable car and James has to go down the cable using his belt and jumps right before getting crushed. I like your idea about the double cross and the helicopter attack.

Algonquin Bridge

Yes, I have seen Moonraker, and the cable-car scene is a particular favourite of mine.

And I'm glad you like the double-cross Idea. It's a cliche, but it'd be a great oppurtunity for some laughable 'make-you-groan' lines, such as:

"You pay me well Niko. But <insert local gang boss here> pays me better."

It's hard to say whether or not they'll let us ride the cable cars. Even if we can't it will still be nice to see them transporting AI controlled characters across the river. And that much was shown in the introduction trailer to IV. As far as throwing people out of it goes, I hope so. But I suppose that all depends on how nice the combat system is and whether or not Rockstar will add a "toss or throw" feature. You know, similar to Assassin's (It's just a reference - haters, don't get your panties in a twist).

Should be interesting. I cannot wait to see the new trailer. Who knows, maybe we'll see a hint of this within. You never know.

Well they say they're putting more detail in than size so I very much doubt they'll not let you ride the cablecar. I also think thet when you ride they Subway it'll turn to a first person view or even stay as as third person and let you walk around the train, killing people and so forth.

Don Garcia aka NjNakedSnake

You know how much fun, how many hours I personally could kill just tossing people out of the cable-cars? Hearing them splash into the water after a long fall.

Only now, I hope peds scream when they fall and they can actually swim when they get into water.

I can only imagine the part Euphoria will play in a cable car fight. With two fully grown men fighting in a cable car, it would surely make it a bit wobbly, and would heavily affect the way people would move.

I can only imagine the part Euphoria will play in a cable car fight. With two fully grown men fighting in a cable car, it would surely make it a bit wobbly, and would heavily affect the way people would move.

Ok, I love the idea of a cablecar fight. Now a Question about the Euphoria engine : If we try to toss people off the cablecar , shouldn't they try ( with that new self preservation aspect ) to hang on to the edge ? And , if they do , shouldn't we be able to step on their fingers ? devil.gif

Euphoria only effects game characters. Read my response to "The king of all physics engines" on using it in a game engine in combination with key-frame animations.

I'd imagine there will be a elevated train like in the first 3d liberty city, and like in NYC.

user posted image

Euphoria only effects game characters. Read my response to "The king of all physics engines" on using it in a game engine in combination with key-frame animations.

I'd imagine there will be a elevated train like in the first 3d liberty city, and like in NYC.

Aren't peds considered "game characters" ? I'm pretty sure from what I've been reading that Euphoria will affect both story related characters and peds.

Aren't peds considered "game characters" ? I'm pretty sure from what I've been reading that Euphoria will affect both story related characters and peds.

I think he means that Euphoria only controls animation to characters, peds. As it's only an animation engine not physics.

I can only imagine the part Euphoria will play in a cable car fight.  With two fully grown men fighting in a cable car, it would surely make it a bit wobbly, and would heavily affect the way people would move.

Ok, I love the idea of a cablecar fight. Now a Question about the Euphoria engine : If we try to toss people off the cablecar , shouldn't they try ( with that new self preservation aspect ) to hang on to the edge ? And , if they do , shouldn't we be able to step on their fingers ? devil.gif

Someone getting thrown out of the cable car and grasping onto the edge was one of the first things I thought of...imagine how terrible it would be if you threw a guy out the door, but he caught the edge and as a result shifted the cable car so it actually made you stumble and fall out the door to your death haha.

i think it would be cool for a assassination mission that you have to cut or disconnect the cable for the cablecar and the car goes swinging off and falls into the water leaving the victim traped and drowning to the bottom of the sea

Hi all, by now all of you have seen the new box art. If you pay attention( as I know you do ) you see a cable-car in one of the pictures. Do you think that we will be able to go in and take it as a mean of transportation ( possible vantage point ) ? Or will we be limited to look at it ( like in SA for the tramways ) ? Also , to those of you who know the city well, is there a cable-car in New York ? I've only been there once , and I've never seen one. One last thing, if we have access to that cable car,do you think that we will be able to go out during the trip using the roof access door ? Your thoughts please...

That's like saying the subway trains are just their for scenery

Seriously im sure we'll be able to ride it. Nothing like taking a nice ride to Roosevelt Island in the cable car with lots of nice adults. You swoop out your gun and knock people out of the door.

Were gonna have some good times in the cable car sons icon14.gif

I think he means that Euphoria only controls animation to characters, peds. As it's only an animation engine not physics.

It'll only effect the Main character and NPC's. Unless r* bought the engine rights and rewrote it.

It does have physics effects, but by definition it's an animator solution because it shares the exact same function. The vendor even markets it as an animator.

I only say this because I get the impression some people think it's going to influence animations on cars which use keyframe animations and a totally different physics engine; probably like the san andreas car physics.

EDIT: I could see them using Euphoria on parts of the car in collisions when they Sprawl separately from the main model.

Edited by crackdawg
user posted image

CthulhuFhtagn
i think it would be cool for a assassination mission that you have to cut or disconnect the cable for the cablecar and the car goes swinging off and falls into the water leaving the victim traped and drowning to the bottom of the sea

You know what? That could be it, the islands-blocking-off plan. The bridge's not working for some reason, some psycho has cut the line... Why not?

This tread is worthless

It's big, it's yellow, can't you f*cking see it?

user posted image

*I am happy with Vegas being banned, and I fully support the staff's decision to keep him banned.*!!!

Well, I wouldn't say you could just because it's there, but it has been spotted in the trailers moving. We didn't get to ride the trams in S.A., and they were on the cover. I think there's a high possibiblity since there are people fighting on it, and it looks like Niko, and also because I suspect a mission on one now.

You got to ride the Chunder Wheel in VCS. The cars were very similar to the cable car in the IV picture, with the open door on the side and you stood inside it and went along for the ride. It'll probably be like that. It would be like the trolley in SA except you can stand inside it instead of having to stand on the roof.

I'd love to see a close-quarters fight in the cable car. Lots of environmental interaction and really brutal.

Cant help but think of the Cowboy Bebop movie ^^

One thing I was dissapointed about in SA was you couldnt knock the trolleys off their tracks in SF. We should be able to use an RPG to take these things down.

The other was they had this system of trolley tracks throughtout the city, but you couldnt use them. Same went with the bus stops. Hell, you couldnt even sit down. Thats pretty weak.

R*. Fix these problems or I wont buy your game EVAR!

hahaha monocle.gif

Im a kidder, R*. I'll suck yo dick.

I hope that you will be able to ride it as transportation. The tram in SA was a disappointment from my point of view. Got myself killed the first time I tried to jump onto it! biggrin.gif

I don't see any reason in why you won't be able to ride it.....Its next gen as in way more possibilities. notify.gif

user posted image