Guys, I need your help...

papanesta

First off, I wouldn't be asking if I didn't think some of you guys (Groovy, Scarface) would actually enjoy this.

Second, before anybody chirps in with "Oh, so we're doing your homework!?", you're not. You're helping me with my research for a presentation.

I've decided to do my 5 minute presentation on "A Brief Recent History in Gore". The 60s and 70s, 80s, 90s and present.

Any help is much appreciated! Movie names, scenes, when, who created the gore, how, images and so on.

Like, Scanners, everybody knows what I'm talking about. Shooting a blood filled balloon with a 12 gauge shotgun? Genius. Special effects, pasta, prosthetics... anything.

Please, and thank you. inlove.gif

scMmGsh.jpg

The Thing(1982) The chest opening scene done by Rob Bottin. When the chest opened up, they used the head of the actor, but the chest area was all an effect. The chest was like this bear trap type thing that they could open up and close. The shot were the arms are bit off, they made fake arms, completle with fake bones and blood lines, and with the wide shot of the doctor with his arms bit off, they used a real double amputee. They did a cast of the real actors head in a screaming position, and made a mask for the amputee.

I'd be more specific with that, but I'd need to dig out my Thing DVD, which is at a friends house at the moment.

Since your allowed to show the scenes, definitley use the eye gouging scene from Zombie aka "Zombi 2". That scene is one of the coolest/goriest around. icon14.gif

Lucio Fulcio is the genius who directed this film.

Linky

Edited by Nixon

Since your allowed to show the scenes, definitley use the eye gouging scene from Zombie aka "Zombi 2". That scene is one of the coolest/goriest around. icon14.gif

Lucio Fulcio is the genius who directed this film.

Linky

That one is a must.

Another Gory movie is Dead Alive, its a horror-comedy from 1992

Definitely look into Un Chien Andalou, a 1929 film where a woman gets her eyeball slashed. Really good effects for it's day. I know you're doing movies for much later periods, but it's a good comparison. Also try the Meat Grinding scene in The Exterminator, that's some gory sh*t too.

Cannibal Holocaust - The impalement scene: Was done by a girl sitting on a bicycle seat and I think she bit onto the top part and they put fake blood all over it. Looks pretty real.

Day of the Dead - Rhodes getting ripped in half by zombies and intestines and stuff spill out: I believe they put the actor under the floor showing only his arms and head and they made a fake body with some kind of intestines all inside with LOTS of fake blood. Apparently the intestines were left out for awhile by accident before they did the scene so when they executed the scene it smelled really really bad. You should definitely use this scene.

Re-Animator is a good gorefest too. Seriously though, I second Dead Alive. You could do a whole presentation just on that movie. Its just so f*cking over the top.

For other bits of help, check out some of these guys videos that he did for Halloween on youtube. Its the same guy who does all the angry video game nerd videos.

Profile.

He basically talks about how the horror genre started out tame with gore but then went from tame to pretty over the top over the years.

user posted image

hey papanesta. i can help i'll giv u a few bloody gore scenes but im not going to go into the process of how it was done unless i know how.

1. the chest burster scene in alien.

2. final destination 3. the whole movie is basically filled with gore the best gore scene is when texas battle gets his head crushed by the weights at the gym. im pretty sure they said in the commentary they used some sort of food coloring mixture.

3. exorcist when regan starts stabbing herself with the cross. pretty gross.

4.shotgun scene shogun assassin

5.the omen has a lot of gory scenes

6.friday the 13th

I dont know if youre limited to movies, but gore fans are not... I put them in tables (quotes, ack!) so you can tell what screen goes to what.

Unreal Tournament introduced lots of gore and it has since been something included/enhanced by many new games. Hell, GTA had some elements of gore... But thinking modern...

I can get a screenshot of the original Unreal Tournament gore... Just couldnt find any online...

It progresses to Unreal Tournament 2004 where gore has options:

user posted image

And the new Unreal Tournament logo is blood.

user posted image

Gears of War is a great example. The player has the option of using bullets to make the people fall into bits or use a chainsaw to cut them in half (and spray the screen with blood). Obviousily, given the chance, the player goes for the latter.

user posted image

FEAR is aother one with some blood stains on half the floor...

user posted image

Prey is done on the same engine as Doom3 and has many of the same things... Including a command to turn gore on and off... "Note that disabling decals does not disable blood spurts; to do that you need to use the g_bloodEffects"

user posted image

Bioshock is yet another.

user posted image

user posted image

Those are some that I could think of and/or saw when browsing through sites that had screenshots. It seems that you cant get a new shooter that aint made to have blood and guts sprayed on the walls. There's more, but I figure thats enough for modern gore and how its expected in new games. I can get better screens if you want too... I can find most the games down the hall.

Cheers.

Night of the Living Dead was a ground breaker in terms of gore. The zombies didn't just hit a person and they were dead. The zombies ate their victims, guts and all.

A Nightmare on Elm Street was pretty good, gore-wise. Freddy Krueger cuts his fingers off at will, just to torment people. A girl is sliced up by Freddy's invisible claws. And probably the most memorable scene involves Johnny Depp(in his first movie role) being sucked into his bed, and a bloody geyser shoots out from the hole, completely filling his bedroom with red. But if you want that type of blood flow, I'd also suggest The Shining's infamous elevator scene.

I'd also suggest you look up the works of Tom Savini. But specifically Friday the 13th, and Dawn of the Dead.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.