Demagnetizing

Saggy

Well, I left my old hard-drive cage on top of one of my speakers, and now it's got quite a strong magnetic pull.

I know that there are ways to demagnetize metal, in fact when I was at my tech school we even had a home-built one, but I never knew how it actually worked.

Does anyone know anything about demagnetizing stuff? I suppose I could just use duct tape...

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

It's gone... unless you can plug it into your computer and format it, it's completely useless.

No, no, just a hard-drive cage, it's part of the computer case. I just don't want to put my hard-drives inside of a magnetized hard-drive cage, understand?

I think I might just call up the old shop, I doubt my old instructors would mind, but as for actually building one of the gizmos they have, that might be a little more effort than just securing my drives in there with duct tape.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

... that's weird.

Get a new cage. Something non magnetic.

You know, I would be willing to buy a new cage, but I don't really know where they well them. Maybe I ought to just throw $20 on a new case, but I don't really want to buy a cheap-o case for something duct tape can solve, but at the same time I'd rather not secure drives with duct tape. If only I had a nifty demagnetizer like my school had!

Honestly, hard drives aren't as sensitive as you think. I've accidentally left a hard drive magnet (much stronger than a speaker magnet) on an actual drive, and nothing happened. Remember that hard drive magnets are strong enough to break a finger if they come together at the right angle, and they're less than 5cm away from the platters. I doubt a magnetized piece of metal will affect it, but if you don't want to take the chance I understand.

Honestly, hard drives aren't as sensitive as you think. I've accidentally left a hard drive magnet (much stronger than a speaker magnet) on an actual drive, and nothing happened. Remember that hard drive magnets are strong enough to break a finger if they come together at the right angle, and they're less than 5cm away from the platters. I doubt a magnetized piece of metal will affect it, but if you don't want to take the chance I understand.

Well, it's only a 20 gb hard-drive, I'm just trying to spend as little money as possible on this, so it'd be nice not to break it at all.

I think I'm just going to use some duct tape and super-glue. it sounds kind of ghetto, but if you glue the non-stick side to your hard-drive, just sticking it onto a flat part of the case keeps it in place pretty well. I have friend's with completely loose drives, so that seems like it should work. I was mostly just interested on whether or not demagnetizing stuff like that was common knowledge and there'd be some DIY guides or something.

Oh, come on. I'm sure it's not that hard do demagnetize metal, there should be hundreds of sites out there that tell you how to do it. I know that you can magnetize metal by rubbing a magnet across it's surface, i'd imagine demagnetizing should be pretty much the same. Looks like you can buy some demagnetizers here

HowStuffWorks has some info on magnets and how to demagnetize them, although i don't know how useful it would be.

Oh, come on. I'm sure it's not that hard do demagnetize metal, there should be hundreds of sites out there that tell you how to do it. I know that you can magnetize metal by rubbing a magnet across it's surface, i'd imagine demagnetizing should be pretty much the same. Looks like you can buy some demagnetizers here

HowStuffWorks has some info on magnets and how to demagnetize them, although i don't know how useful it would be.

"You can reduce a magnet's strength or demagnetize it entirely by exposing it to a magnetic field that is aligned in the opposite direction. You can also demagnetize a material by heating it above its Curie point, or the temperature at which it loses its magnetism. The heat distorts the material and excites the magnetic particles, causing the domains to fall out of alignment."

I remember every time I'd pick a piece out of that demagnetize it would be pretty hot, so I thinkt he one at the school must've used the heat. I guess I'll go stick this thing in the oven and see if that works.

I would expect that you would need to heat it up quite a bit. Get out your oxy-acetylene torch... if you have one smile.gif

cold fusion 33

Isnt the magnetizing/ Demagnetizing device called a Solenoid and it works by pointing all the charges in the ways of the earths poles depending on whether they are negativley or positively charged?

Sorry for crappy remembering skills there this was form a long forgotten science lesson blush.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.