Seasons

sabbathfan

I don't know if this has been discussed and I apologise if it has.

Something that has bugged me about the GTA series thus far is that (and I know I'm being a bit nit-picky here) no matter how long you play the game the sun always goes down at the same time every night and rises at the same time every morning.

There is never a progression of seasons. Long hot summer nights. Leaves falling off the trees, Snow falling and night time getting longer, trees and plants blossoming as the process begins again.

I would LOVE it if R* incorporated this into IV. It would be really cool as you could have the exact date on the pause menu and the weather would change accordingly. Instead of it being sunny for 3 days then raining for 1, then sunny again.

It could get harder to drive in the snow. As you walk along in autumn Niko would kick up the leaves. People wearing less clothes in summer.

I think it would make the game much better than it would be without it.

For the really sad RPGers among us, you could make up a date for Niko's birthday and when the date arrives do something special like buy a new suit or something.

What does everyone else think?

grim reaper22

You mean like bully?Well it's to late to say it now,we will have to wait for gtaV man!:clinton:

Guess it would be too hard, but one of the magazine scans has an autumn looking park. There just isn't enough room to put season's in with such a large and detailed map.

Surely it wouldnt be too difficult. Wouldnt it just be a set of scripts which dictate which types of weather at which time? All it really is is adding weather types that have been missing. Ok snow might be tough but the rest would be easy enough. And it would be easy to make it all happen at the right time. And I would really like a calendar.

There is a big chance we will see Seasons in GTA IV and There is a Big Chance we Won't!!! We'll just have to wait and see.

I somehow believe it might not have snow...normally some rumour would surface giving us some hint. But I could be wrong...

It would be fun though. icon14.gif

Surely it wouldnt be too difficult. Wouldnt it just be a set of scripts which dictate which types of weather at which time? All it really is is adding weather types that have been missing. Ok snow might be tough but the rest would be easy enough. And it would be easy to make it all happen at the right time. And I would really like a calendar.

I think you're forgetting about the trees and such. Leaves changing colours and falling on the ground..i don't think that can be done with only a script to change the weather.

If they implement it like Bully, I don't see why they shouldn't do it. But if they decide to make the seasons change gradually and ad snow & leaves accumulation, then it might be problematic , take too much disk space maybe. Still, given the fact that we know there will be a calendar, one can always hope. They could have it in stages , by that I mean that ex: winter would start at a specific date ,3 days later you would see snow fall for 3 to 4 days, later you would see an accumulation , 2 days after that snow plow trucks passing during one day , the day after that there's less snow. December 15th , city workers start puting up Christmas decorations, and so forth. So , the calendar could dictate when stuff ( like precipitations ) is happening. Only problem is that you would see the decor change dramatically at midnight on a particular day when the changes occur.

maybe theyll hav snow as a reward for when u beat the game. they said u can play the game from start to finish without a load screen, so maybe that means after u beat the game there will be the credits and then a short cutscene of snow falling and then all of a sudden there will be a couple feet of snow on the ground. snow wud be awesome

i would like to see it happen, snow in LC on SA was great and i would love to have christmas incorporated into the game, decorations etc.

Though in reality i can't see seasons being part of the game as i think the disk space on a DvD9 just isn't big enough. I have a Xbox 360 and personally think an install would make sense. With Final Fantasy XI: online on the 360, a big install was needed, so it's not out of the question (i know r* wont do this though). I definitely think the game should have a HD needed label though just so nothing is missing that could've been added this way.

Surely now, almost everyone has a HD with their 360, if not then no offence but thats your problem. I personally would rather need to go and buy a hd rather than have things like seasons missing from the biggest game of the series.

Just my 2 pence worth smile.gif

i say seasons will be in because there is a calendar on your mobile and it would be stupid if the weather was the same the whole time.

snow wouldnt bother me if it wasnt in but if the nights got longer and more fog would make me happy.

If they implement it like Bully, I don't see why they shouldn't do it. But if they decide to make the seasons change gradually and ad snow & leaves accumulation, then it might be problematic , take too much disk space maybe. Still, given the fact that we know there will be a calendar, one can always hope. They could have it in stages , by that I mean that ex: winter would start at a specific date ,3 days later you would see snow fall for 3 to 4 days, later you would see an accumulation , 2 days after that snow plow trucks passing during one day , the day after that there's less snow. December 15th , city workers start puting up Christmas decorations, and so forth. So , the calendar could dictate when stuff ( like precipitations ) is happening. Only problem is that you would see the decor change dramatically at midnight on a particular day when the changes occur.

Nonsense. Just have it coded so the decorations go up after you choose to rest/sleep; after the date, of course. Problem solved.

And I totally agree with the Bully commented. We might be dealing with a way larger area, that's for sure. But I think it's possible. It all depends on how realistic Rockstar is shooting for this time around.

Let's look at it this way, we know the game was intended to begin in the Fall of the year. So, there's obviously a Fall season in the game. Surely Rockstar wouldn't intend the game to be set exclusively in the Fall, would they? Maybe Bully was a test run, if you will, for bigger things. It's plausible.

I think that Rockstar might actually implent seasons, take snow for example, it isn't that hard, theoretically. In GTA San Andreas there's already rain which falls down the sky - could easily be replaced with fog and show particles. The splashing on the floor is done in SA as well, and by combining the footstep-code (if you run around on sand or in the rain you'll keep seeing the footsteps) with that, the results could be quite realistic. The main problems would be objects with no detailed colission data, e.g. the stairs on the sides of buildings in San Fierro: they are there, but you can't walk around into them, just on-top of them.

Other then the technical part of the story, heaving seasons would be awesome offcourse. Imagine combining the handing of vehicles with that - with ice on the roads steering would be incredible hard!

i wud only want snow if it accumulated on sidewalks and cars and stuff, not like in lcs where its just like rain and never accumulates

i say seasons will be in because there is a calendar on your mobile and it would be stupid if the weather was the same the whole time.

That's exactly what i'm thinking.

+ In LCS you had snow falling from the sky.

+ In San Andreas the mission where you have to fly to LC there's snow on the ground.

These 2 points aren't very good arguments but combine them with the quote and you got a very good reason to believe there will be snow in the game. (imo off course) tounge.gif

i wud only want snow if it accumulated on sidewalks and cars and stuff, not like in lcs where its just like rain and never accumulates

Same here, but I can see why it could be problematic for programmers. If you want progressive accumulation, it would take a hefty dose of programming just to calculate how snow will accumulate ( depending on winds, degree of precipitation angle at which snow is falling, temperature, detection collision, tire reaction on ice and snow ). But , on the other hand , if you wouldn't mind having "date programmed" accumulation, it could be easily programmed for snow to accumulate the day after a snow storm, right after you rested ( like stated in one of the posts above, so you wouldn't see snow banks poping in all at once ). Also , handling for cars could change at the same time ( unless they introduce winter tires which would be way cool ).

YourNeighborhoodKiller

Nothing I need to seriously worry about, I mean come on, it's just seasons. I'm more worried about the gameplay. icon14.gif

New account: Gezim

Same here, but I can see why it could be problematic for programmers. If you want progressive accumulation, it would take a hefty dose of programming just to calculate how snow will accumulate ( depending on winds, degree of precipitation angle at which snow is falling, temperature, detection collision, tire reaction on ice and snow ). But , on the other hand , if you wouldn't mind having "date programmed" accumulation, it could be easily programmed for snow to accumulate the day after a snow storm, right after you rested ( like stated in one of the posts above, so you wouldn't see snow banks poping in all at once ). Also , handling for cars could change at the same time ( unless they introduce winter tires which would be way cool ).

Hmm this changed my mind a bit of having snow in the game, but snow would be a great chance to show off what euphoria can do. With different interactions deping on what surface (snow in this case) you're walking/driving on. If it's not in this GTA they got to do it in the next one.

ya i dont mind if its after a cutscene or sumthin (technically a cutscene isnt a loadscreen). they cud hav it snow at a random date in december or late nov. then it just stays at the same depth til spring

Edited by tdog07029

"r the really sad RPGers among us, you could make up a date for Niko's birthday and when the date arrives do something special like buy a new suit or something." LOL is there actually people that really do that?

but as far as season its a good idea but the amount of time it would take to have the leavse and snow not to mention how niklo would react to the cold with just a t shirt on would takke way to long

DinamoZagrebFan

t shirt? he usually wears a jacket, which makes me wonder why would someone where a jacket in the summer?? If he is wearing a jacket it must be more fall weather. Never thought about that/.