4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Browsers

Waddy

Hi,

I was wondering what browsers most people use, and why? Not just single word posts like "IE" or "FF"

I want to see the pro's and con's of each browser. I am very happy with Firefox at the moment, I think its quick and easy to use, and also easy to manage the add ons.

A friend of mine is a very high end IT guy, he has been involved with the Interent since day one really, He was building website for the big banks and stuff like that when it all kicked off...

He was telling me that IE is still be far the best Browser, I believe the guy, but I just want to know why.

I think for me, aslong as im happy with a certain browser, then thats all that should matter? Im going to stick with FF, until someone tells me why I shouldnt, and makes a good argument.

x3FWE.png

Well I use a mix of FireFox and Internet Explorer.

I find that Firefox is much more easier to use with the additional extensions such as adblocker which is really needed sometimes with some websites. The only real cons I find is that it can lock up at times (I use the older Firefox though, as I don't really like FF2.) on certain websites and it tends to give a "Script Response Error" when uploading big files, which can get annoying.

IE can be useful at times, but considering we have no choice to use it at school, I get to use it a fair bit. I can't really see much wrong with it, except it can be a bit slow to respond on more intense sites.

I just use Firefox as it's something that I have grown to like since I first got it. Even if there is a better browser I would still stick with Firefox as I'm familiar with it all now.

I have 4 browsers on my computer (don't ask why because I don't know why sad.gif )

The order in which I like them is:

1.Avant

2.Firefox

3.Opera

4.Internet Explorer.

well to be honest I can absolutely not use IE for any of my purposes and I DO work in the IT and surrounding development.

Firefox is a bit faster, more stabalized and without lots of bullsh*t.

I've also come to use Safari by Apple a bit more in order to check on integrity of web-based quicktime players and I must say, that browser ain't completely sh*t as well.

My Top 3:

Firefox

Safari

IE7

8jjZhSV.jpg

I toggle between Opera and Firefox, though I'm using Firefox at the moment. I find it somewhat faster than Opera, though the "speed dial" add-on is a bit more sloppy on FF than Opera. I'm happy though, it's lovely and fast.

In college, we use Mac G5's for video editing and other work, and we use Safari, which can have it's bad days but it's most reliable.

I'd say Firefox is better, it's supposed to be faster than IE, and there are less bugs with it (i.e. when you are updating). Firefox also gets rid of the spyware and cookies, whereas Opera seems to add more cookies to your system.

A friend of mine is a very high end IT guy, he has been involved with the Interent since day one really, He was building website for the big banks and stuff like that when it all kicked off...

He was telling me that IE is still be far the best Browser, I believe the guy, but I just want to know why.

Wait, he said IE was the best browser and actually gave reasons, or he just stated the fact that it's still the most used?

Personally I like Firefox best. Of the browsers I've tried on Windows, I'd rank them as follows.

1. Firefox
  2. Opera
  3. IE
  4. Avant
  5. Maxthon
  6. AOL Explorer/browser built in to aol
  7. Safari

Avant, Maxthon and AOL Explorer are just IE shells, and that's made pretty obvious if you use them for any amount of time. Safari should probably rank much better, but I tried it when they first released it to Windows and had nothing but problems. I'm sure they've fixed most of that by now, but I just haven't had any reason to go back and try it again. Opera was nice, but nothing about it really stood out. It seemed better than most others, but not better than the one I was using.

The main reason I use Firefox is the list of specific extensions I've gotten used to having. Though even if all the addons I use had a version for other browsers, that alone wouldn't be enough of a reason for me to switch. At this point having to use a vanilla install of Firefox annoys me almost as much as using any of the other browsers on that list. I still bring around a current version of Firefox Portable when I travel with my bookmarks/addons/settings/etc. so I don't get stuck using something else. Some of the addons I have get used multiple times a day, others only once in a while. All of them either save me some amount of time or effort, or add a feature I've come to rely on.

Really though, aside from a few security and privacy concerns browsers are a matter of taste. Not like "you have good taste if you use mine, and bad taste if you don't." More like some people like one kind of art and hate another, others might disagree on both points. If your browser isn't opening you up to security or privacy issues, and it's doing everything you need it to, then you have no reason to switch. This "not switching" thing is one of the reasons IE will always have high numbers of users, even if it starts sucking more than it does. Some people won't bother trying something new when they have something that works already, unless it starts causing them problems. Again, some people actually choose to use IE, others use it because they're unaware there's a choice, or don't see a reason to choose. I really only use it for updating, and even then I use it via Firefox's IE Tab extension.

I use K-Meleon, one of the most simplest browsers around.

It's built on the same engine as that of Firefox but I find it to be slightly faster then Firefox. Also, it manages to give a very stable download speed whereas I have found high fluctuations in download speed in Firefox.

However, a disadvantage of the browser is lack of plugins. There aren't any available. So, if you're looking to stuff your browser with plugins, this ain't the browser for you.

But if you want plain, simple and satisfying browsing experience, then I would definitely recommend it.

FireFox, for all the reasons people said above. Quicker than IE, good add ons, loads most things better, etc.

The only reason I use IE is when a site isn't compatible with anything else, which is usually just Microsoft update sites and stuff.

I've tried Opera, and it seemed like a dumbed down version of FireFox. Getting used to it outweighs the slight speed gains for me, so that means I'll be sticking with FF for a while.

My mom pays her bills through the internet banking stuff.

She was getting these fake websites when she had to type her password, and then she called me and said "I know this is fake and I didn't type my password there. All I need to get the real bank page is to reload, but is there a way to get rid of this? It's kinda annoying".

That's when I said "Blame it on Internet Explorer". I downloaded Firefox to her computer and she never saw that fake page again.

It's just a matter of security. IE has a thousand hacks and security flaws, while Firefox has much less. It's like comparing Linux with Windows, it's easier to make a virus for Windows than it is to make one for Linux, which is why it's safer.

I use Firefox for some time now, and I don't even have lots of add-ons and plugins. I'm happy with the default functions. When I started to use FF, IE didn't had the tabs, so it was a great positive point for FF back then.

But the most useful function in FF is the favorites manager. It's really handy when you have more than 100 favorited sites and you want to organize them.

I've been an avid Opera fan for years. I just like the fact that I can install the browser, install my favorite skin, rearrange the buttons and I'm ready to go. With firefox, I have to do all of that, plus install 50 extentions.

Opera = Awesome

Firefox = OK

Firefox + many extentions = Awesome

IE = dozingoff.gif

I'm not saying firefox sucks or anything, I just like Opera best.

I also like Flock, it's basically Firefox with a lot of tweaks for Youtube, Flickr, Blogs, and more. It can even use firefox extentions, no custom skins yet, though.

i tried using firefox but didn't like it and i still use ie 6. whatsthat.gif

IE 6? You could atleast update it. 7 is much better than 6 by leaps and bounds in terms of stability, security, appearance, and it has tabbed browsing. My favorite currently is Firefox. I have many extensions installed, I have my RSS feeds and favorite bookmarks under my URL bar, StumbleUpon, security, adblock plus, CoolIris Preview, Download Helper, Fireftp, Exif Viewer, HideIP, Photo2Text, Picslens, refcontrol, Usage Counter, User Aget Switcher, zoomfox and bit more. Though firefox is awesome, it does have memory issues and has a bunch of unresolved memory leaks. I also use Opera alot. Mostly when I am connected to a slow connection because Opera renders images faster. Opera also has widgets.

Safari, 'cuz Macs sort of need that. tounge.gif Although Camino ain't that bad either. But atm, Safari > *.

Camino sucks, but firefox is ported to OS X as well. I still like safari better, I think it renders pages better.

Both.

IE is more convenient (since it is built into the OS) because it has tabs and a lot of features + security updates, and you rarely need to install addons. With Firefox, some sites don't work unless you manually install stupid addons. Also, almost every Microsoft-related website will not work and you might have problems with certain website's GUI. The advantage of Firefox though is that it might be more secure, plus some very unique sites require FireFox be installed on your machine.

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

i use internet explorer 7. im downloading safari right now so i can check it out.

edit: btw, this is my first post. so hey everybody. i have safari now and it looks too much like itunes at the startup page. thats weird.

Edited by elijah.

Firefox! Firefox! Firefox!

Sorry, i just had to say that. I love firefox, so much better than IE. I love to customise programs (i'm a control freak blush.gif ) and firefox lets me do it. As an example, i used the old (v1.5) button icons with the shine new (v2.0) tabs by editing the png files. Plus there are sooo many useful and cool add-ons: Download Statusbar, Firefox Showcase and Forecast Fox just to name a few.

IE is more convenient (since it is built into the OS) because it has tabs

Firefox has tabs way before IE did it. Plus IE7 (the one with tabs) is annoyingly slow when opening new tabs.

Also, a lot of websites are now moving to FF. My dad had to get FF because Optus updated their website to only work with FF.

Edited by Haro

Firefox has tabs way before IE did it.

There are still disadvantages of Firefox I mentioned. Anyway about the tabs, when IE didn't have it - it suck and I use to like Firefox a lot! But now since it has it, there is no reason to use IE unless some site requires Firefox.

is annoyingly slow when opening new tabs.

That's only if you have a very slow CPU and not a lot of RAM.

It all comes down to personal opinion, really. Nothing else.

Myself? I always use FireFox on my own PC, but if I'm on another PC or at school then I won't bother with it and use IE. I never used to mind IE but after using FireFox things certainly changed and I've never looked back. IE should have had tab control a long time ago, before IE 7.

As for Opera, it seemed a little faster than FireFox, but I couldn't stick with it for more than a few hours. The scrolling was awful (in my opinion).

I think FireFox will do me just fine. icon14.gif

Firefox has tabs way before IE did it.

There are still disadvantages of Firefox I mentioned. Anyway about the tabs, when IE didn't have it - it suck and I use to like Firefox a lot! But now since it has it, there is no reason to use IE unless some site requires Firefox.

is annoyingly slow when opening new tabs.

That's only if you have a very slow CPU and not a lot of RAM.

Do you mean "there is no reason not to use IE"?

If so, there are plenty. Speed is one of them. FireFox is quicker at loading pages, by seconds in some cases. Then there's the fact that most pages just work better with FireFox (or other browsers) than IE.

As for the slow tabs, I just checked and it was fine for me, opened in a flash. But, the page (MSN.com) loaded slow as sh*t. Proof, the IE in fact is a POS.

not to use...

If so, there are plenty. Speed is one of them. FireFox is quicker at loading pages, by seconds in some cases. Then there's the fact that most pages just work better with FireFox (or other browsers) than IE.

It's also smaller in size. But it is just a habit for sticking to the browser built into the OS already. Firefox is good for those with not-so-good machines.

But, the page (MSN.com) loaded slow as sh*t.

How fast is your ethernet connection in Kbps/Mbps? All browsers have a caching and work offline feature, which makes everything load faster. Also, note that IE has a lot of plugins/ActiveX controls built into it unlike Firefox (which you have to download manually). It could be going slow for you because you might have a lot of addons installed.

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

Addons in IE? Didn't know you could do any, with that said of course I have none.

In Firefox, about 4-5.

My internet connection is slow (around 700-800kpbs, should be at least 2mb), but I can easily notice a difference between FF and IE.

Firefox is good for those with not-so-good machines.

1.73GHz Pentium M, 512Mb RAM laptop. That's reasonably good stats. Yet IE still takes a while to do anything really. Not only that, but it hangs while doing it. I go to scroll down and it used 100% CPU for a few seconds before it scrolls! Really annoying. But FF isn't good for low end machines either. Mine is now using 66Mb of RAM (oh, now 77). Still, i much prefer FF.

Adobe Flash Player plugins do take up a lot of CPU usage, and I believe you have to manually install the flash player plugin into FireFox.

Not only that, but it hangs while doing it. I go to scroll down and it used 100% CPU for a few seconds before it scrolls!

It's actually the website and the computer's performance fault. How come I don't experience lag in IE?

Not only that, but it hangs while doing it. I go to scroll down and it used 100% CPU for a few seconds before it scrolls!

It's actually the website and the computer's performance fault. How come I don't experience lag in IE?

Because you have proven yourself one heck of a fanboy.

ZMHer.png

TcLvb.pngGyRHV.png

IE's render time has always seemed extremely sluggish to me when I've used it. If you don't have a site in cache already, it feels like it takes ages for everything to load up and render. Once it's cached there's little difference in speed between FireFox and IE, but non-cached, FireFox is definitely faster than IE.

Anyway, I really don't like IE7 because of the way it works. You'd think it would open up and close tabs just like FireFox, but there are some slight but annoying differences. Other than that, it's not a particularly bad browser.

IE is also not really free. It comes with Windows, yes, but perhaps I don't want to buy Windows? Lots of people will pirate Windows, but from what I understand, there's a problem now with updating to IE7 and something called "Windows Genuine Advantage". As for Linux or Mac, as far as I know there's no Internet Explorer (6 or 7) for them. On the other hand, there's very apparently versions of Opera and FIreFox for all the major OSes.

There are a lot of people that complain that IE does not conform to standards, and is therefore harder to develop for than for FireFox. Others think that a lot of the non-standard features give it an advantage over the rest.

I think IE is still the most popular, but with all of the extensions that can emulate IE, I just don't really even see the point of using it. Perhaps some people like the interface more, but certainly one of the big draws of FireFox is the fact that you can emulate IE inside of it.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

I can see the reason for people perfering to use Firefox when there was an IE6 with no tabs at all. But with IE7 out, there is no reason not to use it.

Alright, tell me when a Firefox 3 comes out and I will use it instead of IE7.

IE's render time has always seemed extremely sluggish to me when I've used it.

Come on. I have used Internet Explorer on a lot of public computers all the time, and I even multitasked a lot of IE windows and still no lag! IE lags on a Intel Celeron processor I agree.