having trouble

decayedexistence

decayedexistence

okay ive been having trouble with getting gta to start it went to the nvidia screen once and froze now im getting the "mode not supported" message.

I have

Windows xp home sp2

amd athlon 1.2ghz

nvidia geforce 6800 gt oc

1 gig ram

lcd monitor

so i did everything everyone has told me to do and have had nothing work so i went into the directx diagnostic tool and ran the tests on directdraw and direct3d direct draw goes through all the tests fine but direct3d does not work when its testing directx9. everytime it shows that stupid "mode not supported message. is there any way to force the game to run in a lower diretx version like i force counterstrike to dx7? also any other possibilities as to what it could be?

decayedexistence

like seriously i really appreciate the help but it isnt the GOD DAMNED .SET FILE. is that the magic cure or some sh*t im so frustrated that if one of my friends spoke the words ".SET" to me id f*ckin slap em. and no i cant get you a screenshot beings as its not an image its an error message from the monitor(I.E. external).

To the best of my knowledge there is no such option, besides, GTA San Andreas requires alteast DirectX 9 to run.

Did you update your video drivers?

decayedexistence

all of my drivers are up to date(video, audio, motherboard) all of them. has their been any problems with dx9? i read a post form this guy whos computer is the same as mine but his ran fine. im wondering if it has something to do with the monitor or dx9.

like seriously i really appreciate the help but it isnt the GOD DAMNED .SET FILE.

The reason why I asked you to delete the .set file is that the game settings will be reset. In case your game is set to a resolution that your monitor does not support, the default will be restored now.

And yes, as suggested by girishb, reinstall directX. Also, make sure that the refresh rate that you're using is supported by your monitor.