2. Support

3. Suggestions

Obtain awards

Vince_ThePhoenix

Vince_ThePhoenix

A question: how do you obtain an award and how to be a well known member

Thats easy!

You post on the forums, in a helpful manner. You dont make stupid topics all over the place, you then will become better known around the forums, and aslong as you stay a good member, then awards will find you, so get to it.

Id probably start by getting your sig enabled. smile.gif

Edit: Which I have done.

Don't ask for them. You'll get them if you deserve them. And even if you don't, that doesn't mean you aren't a good member. The most important thing is that people should respect you by just looking at your name and not just because of your awards.

@Waddy

You see how you've got a medal for your previous karma level, will you be able to get those in the future even with the removal of karma stars?

If you start getting awards you'll get the Bronze award like me and Wads for example. Though, the medal we actually have is this:

user posted image

The GTANet contribution award. The standard award for converting the karma over, and likely to be the most common award. It's one of many styles of medals you can pick up..other examples are modding medals etc etc. The more you get, the better your medal tally will be, and thus you'll end up with Silver or even a Gold medal visible to others.

What about it? The reason for each medal is public, and is displayed in a member's profile as well as being visible when the mouse is placed over the medal image in the postbit. The images differ as the postbit medal is a simple medallion either bronze, silver or gold representing the number of awards won, whereas the profile medal differs in appearance according to the type of award won.

What about it? The reason for each medal is public, and is displayed in a member's profile as well as being visible when the mouse is placed over the medal image in the postbit. The images differ as the postbit medal is a simple medallion either bronze, silver or gold representing the number of awards won, whereas the profile medal differs in appearance according to the type of award won.

oh cuz i meant like where the images supposed to be different

I see what you mean. Even Justin's is different when its placed over it.

Sucked to be the people with four stars when it changed. tounge.gif

how to be a well known member

That's pretty easy. Just post in a wide range of forums. Let's say for example you only posted in GTA:SA section, you would only be known by the regulars there, but if you post in a wide range of forums that have some appeal then your name will be recognized by almost everyone in the forum. If you think you get on well with someone or have a PM conversation with them you will notice you can make your MSN/IRC details public and people will know you quite well. When you have been here longer and are pretty well known you can join a social gang with your friends in it and if it is official, you get a private forum so you can conversate regularly with them or if it's unofficial most of them have an offsite forum with a private forum and gang discussion.

You get a few verbal commendations ,then you aquire a bronze medal.

After that the same way you rise to the silver and gold medals, and well by the time you(and i) reach it they will probably reform the karma system again.

After that the same way you rise to the silver and gold medals, and well by the time you(and i) reach it they will probably reform the karma system again.

lol.gif

I wanted to know whether a member having two commendations (from previous karma system) and three verbal commendations (as of now) qualify for an award.

lol.gif

I wanted to know whether a member having two commendations (from previous karma system) and three verbal commendations (as of now) qualify for an award.

It was for people who had gotten 5 karma.

Exkabewbikadid

I see what you mean. Even Justin's is different when its placed over it.

Sucked to be the people with four stars when it changed. tounge.gif

The medal shown in each post is just a generic medal, which is either bronze/silver/gold depending on the number of awards (I can't remember how many awards it takes to get to silver and gold). The medal in the profile is specific to the award given. Justin's medal in his profile is different bacause it was granted by a moderator after the switch to the new system (he had 5 karma stars, but he set his own karma to zero before the switch (self abuse is hardcore tounge.gif )).

Verbal commendations are recognized moreso by quality than quantity, but chances are, if someone receives enough verbal commendations for different things, they will receive a full commendation (full commendation = award)

Awards are harder to get than karma stars were, but unlike karma stars, awards are permanent and won't be taken away, unless a member goes off the deep end and gets perma-banned of course. And I really doubt the new system will ever be reset or revamped. It's far more robust and meaningful than the old karma system.

I just hope illy remembers the, eh, "favors" I "pulled" for him last "week."

He said it was worth at least a bronze star.

Now - on to something more serious - what if awards were awarded with a celebratory thread? Say, every month, an announcement topic is made, and people who achieve awards are celebrated publicly. That'd be nifty and allow for a lot more transparency in the system.

Not a bad idea Otter, Would be good to praise the people who earn medals in a topic.

Medals are going to be MUCH harder to get than Karma stars, I only know of 2 since the system came into place...one of them was Fuzzy tounge.gif

But yeah, good idea.

Pin illy down...he likes it...so I heard. wow.gif

Eh, I guess...what's the point of celebrating these publicly again? They're basically the same thing as karma stars, which aren't a big deal but rather an indication of who contributes quality and who does not. I see celebrating awards being about as successful as my Hall Of Fame suggestion a couple months back. Which is to say, not successful.

Well think about it this way - it's more of a public display of what we appreciate in members. To older guys like you and me, it doesn't mean much, but to the rabid throngs of newbs, it provides goals and structure without heavy-handed moderating.

Well think about it this way - it's more of a public display of what we appreciate in members.  To older guys like you and me, it doesn't mean much, but to the rabid throngs of newbs,  it provides goals and structure without heavy-handed moderating.

Yeah I suppose, but the spam content is so high these days that I wonder if anyone will even notice that there's motivation for not acting like a noob. It might get buried under all the "how do u sl33p?" and "DO U LIEK F00D?!" topics.

LMFAO wen is teh gtagarag gonaa wurk? turn.gif

Anyhow are there any news on the forum awards 2007 thingy?

And about the hall of fame and things might i suggest transforming the ''retired moderators '' group into '' hall of fame '' and move some of the retired mods+people who did a lot for community and are now gone(Kutt,Odie)+some of the higher people still in the busness(edisoncarter,etc) into it,instead of a karma whore which would be a final award for the maximum contribution?

Just so that people who come here for the first time know about them when they see that group maybe posting or just in one of the groups.

Also somebody who knows them well might write a topic about what did the persons do to get into the forums hall of fame.

Just a small suggestion.

And yes i found the 40's topic so i just repeat it since my idea is similar to his.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hunting around the board, trying to find a post that clarifies the details of the change from stars to medals, in an effort to understand better how I lost my star, and what it's gonna take me to re-earn some decoration alien.gif

I gather this is the thread?

If so, I guess I need to clarify..

So people with 1 star are mostly returned to undecorated members, the only place I see any note is in my member log...

Entry added to log on Sep 3 2005, 08:20

Commendation 

Your innovative and "thinkoutsidethesquare" mods and contributions to the modding community are much appreciated. Keep it up!

Related post: [WIP|SA] Easter Bay Aircraft Carrier Boat Convert

My understanding was, only I see this entry in the left margin?

Is there any plan to route/display this information in an area where other users can see it, or am I back at square 1 now, releasing and hoping that one day I might earn a medal?

Having released > 15 vehicles for GTA, I really used to prize that star as my only formal recognition here @ gtanet - but this is now revoked?

It may be a very outdated term, but in my area, they call this "Indian Giving".

confused.gif

Edited by [DRuG]NikT

NikT,Dec 7 2007, 12:29] My understanding was, only I see this entry in the left margin? 

Is there any plan to route/display this information in an area where other users can see it, or am I back at square 1 now, releasing and hoping that one day I might earn a medal?

Having released > 15 vehicles for GTA, I really used to prize that star as my only formal recognition here @ gtanet - but this is now revoked?

I wanted something along similar lines too, but the fact is that the member log not only holds commendations but also warnings. The mods/admins feel this should not be viewable to all members since warnings might portray the member in bad light.

Then again we can ask to have a seperate logs for commendations and warnings. But that too might not sound like a good idea to the staff. confused.gif

I, too, lost my little karma star, not that I care, but it was kinda cool. Anyways, the new award system is aimed at getting more out of the members of GTAF. So, you'll really have to work hard and post good stuff for that bronze medal. wink.gif

NikT,Dec 7 2007, 17:59]Is there any plan to route/display this information in an area where other users can see it, or am I back at square 1 now, releasing and hoping that one day I might earn a medal?

No such plans unless member logs be made public (not likely).

I'm sorry you feel that way but many 2/3/4 star members could count themselves more unlucky than you. I realise you're feeling cheated and it's fair enough to consider it Indian Giving, but the rationale was that the mature members wouldn't care more about the loss of a pixelated star than the idea of continuing to contribute.

As you said, your efforts remain enshrined in your log and are visible to moderators. If you should catch our eye in the future, a glance at your log will remind us of your past and it probably wouldn't take too much more to achieve an award -- much less than it would should a new member without having ever had karma try to get one.

edit - bitch to quote catspider.gif

so basically memeber verbal commendation's are the new karma stars then or something like that

Well...not really, as verbal commendations aren't visible to everyone.

Karma was overrated anyway. As nearly everyone had it, most just ignored it, except those that didn't have it.

The answer is simple. They took away all the 1,2,3, and 4 star members' karma because they're saving to buy me an engraved platinum plaque to put under my name. Sorry, I guess I'm just more important than you. I'll let you take a picture with it, if you want.

One would assume that previous commendations would still be held in a member's favor. Meaning that if you get a commendation(s) in the future your previous commendations would make you more likely to get a medal than someone who has no previous commendations.

So there's two ways to look at it, the first is that you were robbed of a somewhat insignificant bit of recognition that some people had received for little to no good reason. The other is that your star was removed, and your commendation was translated into something that makes you more likely to be awarded a more significant and less arbitrary piece of recognition upon subsequent commendations.

Yes, it's kind of crap that you lost your star, but as mentioned there are people who had four stars which were all given for much effort/work/contribution on their part, who also lost stars. It does kind of suck, but I assume the thinking was that if everyone with a star had it carried over to the new system it would make the new system as meaningless as the old.

Nah it's all good - I respect the change, just wanted to be clear on it more than anything.

Thanks for all the detailed replies, and if the offer's still open, I would like to have my photo taken next to 40ozFreak's plaque.

orly.gif