Dual Booting Help

Gabe Logan

Ok guys, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me here.

I bought an ADVENT desktop computer and it came with VISTA. I now have been following a guide on how to dual boot, all is going well until I need to BOOT from the XP disc.

I have to install XP onto the new partitian I have created.

When my computer starts up it tells me to press DEL to enter BOOT menu, I do this but all I get is a blank blue screen that will stay there. I have pressed many other ways to enter the BOOT menu but nothing works.

I have a GOODMANS HD monitor that acts as a TV and a PC monitor. This is all I can think is the problem, perhaps its the monitor? I always have to AUTO SYNC the screen with my remote, becuase when the PC loads up the picture on the monitor is out of sync. (not all of the screen is showing)

I just cant get into the BOOT menu at all.

If anyone has any ideas, it would mean a lot to me if you could share them.

Thanks for your time GTAforums.

Is "delete" the actual key to enter BIOS on your computer? It should say so in the motherboard manual.

And what does this blue screen looks like? Is it totally blank? mercie_blink.gif

But... why do you need to enter BIOS to install WinXP? As far as I know, the XP CD is bootable, that is, when you boot, it will be recognized and will load the install process.

If your XP CD is in the drive when you boot your computer and nothing happens (and the OS starts up normally), then you can try to press F8 during boot and select your CD drive on the list.

Edited by Saget

Try flashing your BIOS via an update.

...but I don't think you have to. So try plugging out all external USB devices except for your keyboard and mouse (yes indeed - USB devices such as hard/flash drives especially iPods, normally have the habit of causing the system boot process to freeze since the BIOS recognizes it as as a "boot device" it doesn't even know of). If this doesn't work, then go inside your computer case and check that if the cable connections and master/slave configurations are correct. Now look for the CMOS clear jumper and clear it by covering/uncovering pins. Also, make sure that all your devices connected to the motherboard are working; if not, you may want to Divide & Conquer!

Is "delete" the actual key to enter BIOS on your computer? It should say so in the motherboard manual.

Either Del/Delete, F1, F2.

When my computer starts up it tells me to press DEL to enter BOOT menu, I do this but all I get is a blank blue screen that will stay there. I have pressed many other ways to enter the BOOT menu but nothing works.

I find that unbelievable. I recommend doing what I said above or else I will have to say that your motherboard's BIOS/CMOS chipset and battery are damaged.

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

Uh, Ring_of_Fire, no offense but shouldn't he try easier and obvious things at first, and if those don't work, then proceed to harder things like you suggested? If someone told me to flash my BIOS I wouldn't, I never updated any BIOS of any computer I had, mainly because I never had to.

On my computer, nothing will boot since the hard drive normally will be the first priority. You have to set both the priority and the boot order for a specific device to boot up.

Uh, Ring_of_Fire, no offense but shouldn't he try easier and obvious things at first, and if those don't work, then proceed to harder things like you suggested?

Sometimes I do that and the thread starter say it doesn't work anyway. I try to go beyond that assistance

If someone told me to flash my BIOS I wouldn't, I never updated any BIOS of any computer I had, mainly because I never had to.

As for flashing my BIOS, I just do it since it is a habit of me keeping everything up-to-date. Plus, you never know that the regular crashing of Windows and blue screen of deaths were due to an outdated BIOS anyway. Sometimes drivers aren't the only thing to keep up-to-date. Just flash the BIOS and you will never have to worry about it causing problems ever again.

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

On my computer, nothing will boot since the hard drive normally will be the first priority. You have to set both the priority and the boot order for a specific device to boot up.

Uh, Ring_of_Fire, no offense but shouldn't he try easier and obvious things at first, and if those don't work, then proceed to harder things like you suggested?

Sometimes I do that and the thread starter say it doesn't work anyway. I try to go beyond that assistance

If someone told me to flash my BIOS I wouldn't, I never updated any BIOS of any computer I had, mainly because I never had to.

As for flashing my BIOS, I just do it since it is a habit of me keeping everything up-to-date. Plus, you never know that the regular crashing of Windows and blue screen of deaths were due to an outdated BIOS anyway. Sometimes drivers aren't the only thing to keep up-to-date. Just flash the BIOS and you will never have to worry about it causing problems ever again.

That's why I told him to press F8 during boot, so the boot device screen comes up and you can actually choose where you're booting from, without the need to go to BIOS and change everything.

...but I don't think you have to. So try plugging out all external USB devices except for your keyboard and mouse (yes indeed - USB devices such as hard/flash drives especially iPods

Thanks for replying.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean unplugging the all the USB devices from my USB ports, or do you mean removing them by using the mouse/computer somewhere?

Also I did try to just put the XP disc to install, the launch window comes up, but the 'Install Now' text is greyed out and I cannot click on it.

Edited by Gabe Logan

That's why I told him to press F8 during boot, so the boot device screen comes up and you can actually choose where you're booting from, without the need to go to BIOS and change everything.

There's no such option to boot a device here via the F8 key: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/safemode%20002.jpg

Do you mean Boot logging? - because I don't think it will allow you to choose which device to be booted from (only in the BIOS). If you mean the OS Choices Menu where you select the OS you want to "boot" from, then that only works if the computer user did in fact install multiple OSes - which I think the thread starter wants to accomplish now.

Also, some motherboards have a feature to access the Boot Menu (without going into the actual CMOS), and the correct button to press I think is either F9-F12 (my own is F12, and not F8 - which is for only the Windows Advanced Options Menu). tounge.gif

What do you mean by this? Do you mean unplugging the all the USB devices from my USB ports, or do you mean removing them by using the mouse/computer somewhere?

Remove all USB device connectors except keyboard and mouse manually with your hands! cry.gif

Also I did try to just put the XP disc to install, the launch window comes up, but the 'Install Now' text is greyed out and I cannot click on it.

"Install Now" is only on Windows Vista! If any similar button is on the Windows XP setup disc, you can't click on "Install Now" because you are trying to install it on Windows Vista, which Windows XP setup doesn't even know of! You have and have to boot it up instead!

Also, I have another idea! You can download Virtual PC 2007 and install Windows XP there without any issues. Question: Why do you want to switch to Windows XP anyway?

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

I will try what you have suggested, again I appreciate you taking the time out to help.

I want to change to XP because VISTA cant play my PC games. Then I wont have to worry when buying PC games if they will run on VISTA. I would rather dual boot though, I dont want to get rid of VISTA just because of PC games.

I want to change to XP because VISTA cant play my PC games. Then I wont have to worry when buying PC games if they will run on VISTA. I would rather dual boot though, I dont want to get rid of VISTA just because of PC games.

Please tell me what games you are having problems with. All of my games are working on Vista! All you need to do to get older games running similar to Windows XP is to try compatibility mode, update drivers, and disable some of Windows Vista's features.

Here is the Virtual PC 2007 download -> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...pc/default.mspx. But please tell me why you can't even access the CMOS, and tell me if you have done what I suggested about doing stuff inside your computer case, etc. etc.

Oh, sorry. Virtual PC 2007 and even VMWare doesn't support Direct3D so you ain't going to play games in the virtual environment. You just have to tell me what games you have issues on Vista, and I'll will fix it!

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

Well its only one game I am having a problem with and thats THE SUFFERING. When I install game a message comes up saying this application can only be run with 98/ XP etc etc.

How does this Virtual PC 2007 work?

Well its only one game I am having a problem with and thats THE SUFFERING. When I install game a message comes up saying this application can only be run with 98/ XP etc etc.

Let the compaitiblity be Windows 98! And did you download this patch? http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/thesuffe...=tabs;downloads

How does this Virtual PC 2007 work?

Forget about it. It's not going run any of your games, except for non-Direct3D games and software applications.

Actually I am going to download this game RIGHT NOW and test it! You better hope I have the same Vista issue as you! devil.gif

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

I have tried changing the compatibility and when I try to install the patch, this message comes up.

Error - 1642 The upgrade cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade.

Thats why the only way is to get XP.

That would be much appreciated. I know THE SUFFERING 2 WORKS but I want to play THE SUFFERING. The main reason is because I want to make a tribute out of it, like I have with other games.

Edited by Gabe Logan

Also, some motherboards have a feature to access the Boot Menu (without going into the actual CMOS), and the correct button to press I think is either F9-F12 (my own is F12, and not F8 - which is for only the Windows Advanced Options Menu). tounge.gif

That's what I'm talking about. It's a blue/red/yellow screen where you have all your hard drives and CD/DVD readers listed, and you can choose which one to boot from. On my motherboard, it's the F8 key, but you have to press it right after the motherboard "beep".

If I press F8 after that, then I'll go to Windows advanced boot options.

I have to press F8 to get that screen to show up because of this thing gone wrong with my Vista install. I described that on that "random questions" post if you're interested on helping me, no one answered that anyway.

@Gabe Logan: Now that's some bad luck, kid. I have the 64-bits Vista and I can run nearly all games, including old ones x)

And... the option to install WinXP shouldn't be grayed out =|

Edited by Saget

Ring of fire. How long will it take for you to download and try the game?

I have been to hell and back trying to play The Suffering.

I bought it off ebay, when I received it, it was the German version.

The game wouldnt launch after I installed it, so I thought this was because it was in German. I then went to buy The Suffering from a different seller, when I received it, it was the German version again! I sent an email to that seller who was sorry and sent me the English version for free. I installed the game but the same message came up, I then knew it was because of Vista.

Edited by Gabe Logan

That's what I'm talking about. It's a blue/red/yellow screen where you have all your hard drives and CD/DVD readers listed, and you can choose which one to boot from.

Motherboards are different. Yes my screen with the hard drives and CD-ROM drives listed looks just like yours. However, I press on the F10 key.

And... the option to install WinXP shouldn't be grayed out

On a copy like Windows Vista which wasn't meant to be upgraded from Windows XP, it will. It happens to me and the button isn't grayed out on a Windows XP Home/Professional copy.

Ring of fire. How long will it take for you to download and try the game?

When I am finished College, and I am right beside my actual computer.

If I have luck, I might get it to work. I never get MTASA to work on Windows Vista (but partially - the map maker and the main menu screen works). But since I saw this piece of info, I have to be really luck on my troubleshooting skills! biggrin.gif

http://www.fuzeqna.com/midway/consumer/kbd...chType=advanced alien.gif

Anyway, please tell me why you can't access the CMOS?! Did you follow my advice?

Edited by Ring_of_Fire

That's what I'm talking about. It's a blue/red/yellow screen where you have all your hard drives and CD/DVD readers listed, and you can choose which one to boot from.
And... the option to install WinXP shouldn't be grayed out

On a copy like Windows Vista which wasn't meant to be upgraded from Windows XP, it will. It happens to me and the button isn't grayed out on a Windows XP Home/Professional copy.

Not if he does it through the boot. Multiple Operational Systems are supposed to be installed like that: first you install the most recent one, then start installing the older ones.

That info on how to start the game sounds promising. I will try it right now!

I seemed to have followed the instruction but it still wont launch. Its because its copy protection system or something.

I am getting closer. When I launch the game it says "internal error accessing one of the applications libraries. Error code 1072. dontgetit.gif

Edited by Gabe Logan

Not if he does it through the boot. Multiple Operational Systems are supposed to be installed like that: first you install the most recent one, then start installing the older ones.

I know that. I was saying you can't install mutliple operating systems through Vista. You have to restart computer and boot from a CD, or you can use Virtual PC/Server 2007 or VMWAre.

Ring of fire. Are you still trying to get the game? Perhaps if you have the same problem as me and then you solve the problem you could give me the solution. I appreciate what you have done already.

Ring of fire. Are you still trying to get the game? Perhaps if you have the same problem as me and then you solve the problem you could give me the solution. I appreciate what you have done already.

Soon. But it might not work - look at what the support site mentioned. I would be lucky if I fixed it and put shame to Midway. I think the game might work by deleting a certain file that's making it incompatible with Vista.

I will post back results below...

I know that. I was saying you can't install mutliple operating systems through Vista. You have to restart computer and boot from a CD, or you can use Virtual PC/Server 2007 or VMWAre.

But that's exactly what I told him to do, to install the OS from the boot!

I believe if anyone can fix this you can! Good luck buddy. Thanks again.

So you fixed it? notify.gif

But that's exactly what I told him to do, to install the OS from the boot!

You see this method Gabe Logan? - indeed another way of fixing it! So what's up, why don't you use Windows XP to play "The Suffering: Prison is Hell"? Want to get it working on Windows Vista?

I remember six or seven years ago having problems like this trying to install GRUB and Linux. Which is hilarious, because that process is just about seamless now, yet it's tough to dual-boot with the newer Windows.

The computer industry, one step forward, and one step back. tounge.gif

Anyway, I take it the direction of this thread has changed from his defunct BIOS menu to getting the game to work. However, I have a simple solution that often times works wonders on older computers: Pop out the BIOS batter and put it back in. Just be sure to do that with the computer off.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

I dont really want to open up my computer as I am not really that advanced. My last resort would be to wipe VISTA off completely then pop in the XP CD then I might be able to install.

I dont really want to open up my computer as I am not really that advanced. My last resort would be to wipe VISTA off completely then pop in the XP CD then I might be able to install.

You can try that =|

But if you install XP then try to install Vista, you won't be able to create the cool "choose your OS" menu during boot.

If I did try what I suggested then it would be a risk because what if I still couldnt install XP? Well I guess I could just reinstall VISTA. If I do install XP, would I still keep my Memory/RAM and graphics card settings etc. I wouldnt want to lose any of that.

If I did try what I suggested then it would be a risk because what if I still couldnt install XP? Well I guess I could just reinstall VISTA.

You won't be at risk - we know what we are talking about. I have flashed my BIOS 10+ times.

If I do install XP, would I still keep my Memory/RAM and graphics card settings etc. I wouldnt want to lose any of that.

Just reinstall the drivers on the interent. Plus the benefit would be that you would finally decide to update your drivers.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.