How to make Drum 'n' Bass

Defur

Well the latest months I've been getting into the music genre DnB ( Both Drill 'n' Bass & Drum 'n' Bass ) and I decided that I'm dedicated enough to try MAKING some music.

And of course that mean I have a lot of questions and I hoped that you guys here might could help me get some answers to some of them.

What do you use to create Drum/Drill 'n' Bass?

Is there an simple online tool to create Drum/drill 'n' Bass, ( for example the game eJay, were you create everything from techno to rap ) so you can learn the basics?

Any Drum/Drill 'n' Bass bands/artists/groups you could recommend me to listen too?

Thanks for reading!

turn.gif

Im Rick James B**ch!

Dont much about DnB specifically, but basically i would suggest something like Ableton, Cubase or even Fruity Loops.

Juse some form of the amen break and set up some sh*tty unsyncopated bass to it. That's every d&b song ever created.

For synth stuff I use Reason. It's pricey, but an absolutely amazing program. I've never tried to make any DnB stuff, but there are a heap of virtual kits for it.

vbSWr1A.gif

Dont much about DnB specifically, but basically i would suggest something like Ableton, Cubase or even Fruity Loops.

Hmm does these programs include Drum 'N' Bass stuff?

lesfleanut: Yes I know that, but I need something to create stuff like that. tounge.gif

makeshyft: Ok, I'll look into that.

I these are very good tips but do any of you know like a, umm, simpler program, for newbs?

So you can learn the basics first before getting into huge stuff. Or does these programs have guides and such in it?

Juse some form of the amen break and set up some sh*tty unsyncopated bass to it. That's every d&b song ever created.

How dare you sully the good name of DnB, I bite my thumb at you.

I've tried making some DnB in Fruity Loops before and it isin't too bad for it, takes a fair bit of time though. I think you can legally get the demo version for free.

How dare you sully the good name of DnB, I bite my thumb at you.

I've tried making some DnB in Fruity Loops before and it isin't too bad for it, takes a fair bit of time though. I think you can legally get the demo version for free.

Yes you can, and you can use the demo as long as you wish, but you can't save project files and some of the cooler synths are also demo only.

So I got Renoise yesterday ( I haven't gotten to use it yet as I have school too. )

Anyway anyone else using Renoise(version 1.9.0)?

Maybe some tips?

Or does anyone know any good turtial?

i think the easiest way to do it is just buy a drum and bass synthesizer. you can get ones that plug into your pc i think. they're designed for D&B, so come with loads of cool bass and drum loops which you can play around with, and they're relatively simple to use.

and also, slightly off topic: in five years of being a junglist, i have never heard the term "drill n bass". fill me in?

cheers

Drill 'n bass is a genre name coined by fans for a type of electronic music that emerged from drum 'n bass in the mid-1990s. Artists like Luke Vibert, Squarepusher, and most famously, Aphex Twin created the sound in 1995.

The genre is characterized by extremely complex and detailed drum programming, often sampled from the famous "amen" breakbeat. Although inspired by early Jungle music, the complexity and attention to measure-by-measure detail found in drill 'n bass distanced it from the dancefloor mentality of early Drum 'n Bass.

Aphex Twin's 1996 release Richard D. James Album is thought to be of great influence on modern Drill 'n Bass. In 1998, Aphex Twin released his "Come to Daddy" single, which is mainly in the style of Drill 'N Bass, and which was commercially successful worldwide.

By 1999, the genre seemed to disappear[citation needed]. Only a few artists, such as The Flashbulb, still clung to the Drill 'n bass label. Newer artists, such as Venetian Snares and Doormouse, dubbed their evolution of the genre "breakcore".

- From Wikipedia.

i think the easiest way to do it is just buy a drum and bass synthesizer. you can get ones that plug into your pc i think. they're designed for D&B, so come with loads of cool bass and drum loops which you can play around with, and they're relatively simple to use.

and also, slightly off topic: in five years of being a junglist, i have never heard the term "drill n bass". fill me in?

cheers

But you've heard of a dnb synthesizer? lol

dnb is basicly (at it rawest which is basicly the jump up sub genre tounge.gif) a breakbeat (Ie the amen being the classic of classics) cut and smashed with a few (synthesized) sfx and wooshes

and bass (again mostly synths)

As a sequencer it has to be Cubase on the pc and logic on the mac (mac seems prefered with the people I know and have spoken to, I still use cubase cos macs wind me up)

check out the grid on the dog on acid forum and get some music mags like computer music, future music and sound on sound

.....to do this properly it will take time and effort!!

ps for a beginner reason might be an idea

@lesfleanut

musically theres better than that, you seem to be talking about the pill head one nation side (which dont get me wrong is enjoyable, or at least pills can be lol) dnb is deeper than you seem to realise. it isnt all vauxhall novas and pissed up on cider wastes thinking they are gangsters, might be a lot of it but the core of us hate those c*nts as much as the next man

edit,

"drill & bass" wtf are you serious?

Edited by xrk

• 1 month later...

Defur!

Reason is probably the best program for you to start with. Its pretty tricky to learn, but theres alot of tutorials on the net, and when you know how to do, its SO worth all the time spend on it!

In reason, you can make serious dnb. The program comes with some samples, but you better download some "refills" (sample librarys). There is some made just for dnb.

To get a little bit more serious, get cubase. But i reccon you gunna have a hard time learning that by yourself.

Good to hear that youre in to dnb!

Good luck! And make sure you get that music production going!!

lesfleanut: ...ah... whatever

• 1 year later...

drill and bass. ha. what nonsense. dont mean to sound arrogant but thats rubbish. I been following drum n bass since it started in london 92. If you want to make dnb. take a bass synth apply a low pass filter and a little distortion. logic on the mac has a useful dnb kit. reason on pc can be useful. frooty loops can be quite useful for drums but dont be fooled in thinking a bass line and a dnb bass are the same. they aint. d n b relies on the sub bass frequencies (below 30 hertz). logic has a plug in for this. drill n bass whatever next....... lol

I use FL Studio for producing music, it has everything you need and most VST's work on it. It's very good for beginners with an easy interface to use but also good for advanced stuff.

Loads of tutorials on Youtube for the software if your stuck. smile.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.