Unexpected shutdown

xtal256

Sometimes my laptop turns off unexpectedly, probably when it overheats. I'm not really worried about it (although i don't like it happening) but i just wondered if that (or just turning it off in general, without proper shutdown) could cause harm to my computer? I didn't think so but then i though what if it was writing something to the hard drive when it turns off. What if it's in the middle of writing to the Master File Table? Could it possibly corrupt the hard drive?

btw, I recently downloaded SpeenFan to monitor the temp. My laptop only has a HDD temp but i can at least get an idea of the CPU temp. Right now the temp is 54°C but it has been as high as 59. The other day when it turned off, it was about 53 but the CPU might have been hotter (?)

Post the manufacturer and model of your laptop and we can help you find drivers and possible BIOS firmware updates for it.

Toshiba Satellite M50. What does that have to do with it? Does the BIOS automatically detect if the HDD is in use and turn off as soon as it has finished writing or something?

Well, I wouldn't worry about just turning the computer off with the power button. It might screw Windows up, but for the most part computers are made to turn off like that and it will not hurt your hardware components.

Oh the other hand, this sounds like a power failure. I don't think there's much cause for concern at the moment, though, because it sounds like it's over-heating if your hard drive is getting that hot. In these circumstances, the motherboard will handle power to the other components and keep things from screwing up. You might still get some file corruption, but physically everything should remain fine. I would get the problem checked out before you run into any data loss, though. it is, to my knowledge, possible to screw up your Master Boot Record, or even the partition information on a disk by improper shutdown. So, it may not physically harm the computer, but you're probably going to want to take care of this before it gets too bad.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

I am very wary of hard shutdowns. I very rarely do them. In fact I uninstalled SWAT 4 because it used to completely lock up my PC and the only thing to do would be to physically switch off the power. But I don't think this can cause much damage if you're not writing any data to the disk. The most vulnerable time to have a hard shutdown seems to be when you log off Windows/Shut down, and Windows is saving your settings. Hard shutdowns while you're just idling there not doing anything don't seem to hurt much. I would still try to completely avoid them, and seriously sort out your cooling issues.

user posted image

To offers some genuinely helpful advice, i would use Norton Ghost or some other type of back up program once a week while the problem persists, just to be on the safe side.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

Not too long ago, I was ripping internet radios (therefore recording stuff to the hard disk every second) when the lights went off. When I turned my computer back up, Windows did that scan to make sure that drive was safe. Well, it was, but for a moment I was worried as hell cry.gif

50°C is hot for a hard drive. Mine always stays around 35°C, and the processor is around 50/60°C. Though I'm not on a laptop, things might get hotter there because it's all so tight in one little place, and how do you solve overheating problems on a laptop? Is there a way to get more coolers? =o

Not too long ago, I was ripping internet radios (therefore recording stuff to the hard disk every second) when the lights went off. When I turned my computer back up, Windows did that scan to make sure that drive was safe. Well, it was, but for a moment I was worried as hell cry.gif

50�C is hot for a hard drive. Mine always stays around 35�C, and the processor is around 50/60�C. Though I'm not on a laptop, things might get hotter there because it's all so tight in one little place, and how do you solve overheating problems on a laptop? Is there a way to get more coolers? =o

Well, I''ve heard some people suggest that if you put some heatsinked ram in there, that might help to dissipate the heat over all, but I'm not sure about that.

It might screw Windows up, ... it will not hurt your hardware components.

That's what i'm worried about! I didn't think it would hurt the hardware, it's Windows i'm worried about. I guess it's not too bad as long as it doesn't do it when Windows is shutting down.

@Saget: the other day i noticed that speedfan had an online database that compares your HDD, etc to others. It said this:

The average temperature for this hard disk is 42C (MIN=31C MAX=53C) and yours is 45CThe overall fitness for this drive is 97%.The overall performance for this drive is 100%.

So 50 is quite hot but not too hot. Like u said, being a laptop everything is packet in more.

@SagaciousKJB: i do have Norton Ghost but since i don't have an external hard drive i never saw the point of it. And i didn't pay for it, it was free with Norton Internet Security.

When troubleshooting, you should really assume it is a software/firmware (driver) problem and not hardware. If you have an AlienWare gaming supermachine, would you say right away that it is a hardware problem for such an expensive and reliable machine, especially when you knew that you took care of it before?

Drivers can cause unexpected shutdown and unrecoverable errors as well and few BSOD's. Anyway, I am afraid I can't link you up to any drivers because you simply refused to tell us your full model number and the part number! alien.gif

Here's what I can leave you off with, use Windows Update to download drivers and OS software updates automatically for you. http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftu...t.aspx?ln=en-us

When troubleshooting, you should really assume it is a software/firmware (driver) problem and not hardware. ...

That's exactly what happened with my wireless router. I though it was my D-Link that was crap but it turned out i just needed to update my laptop's wifi card.

Anyway, I am afraid I can't link you up to any drivers because you simply refused to tell us your full model number and the part number!  alien.gif

Woah, sorry! wow.gif I don't even know what information u want.

Ok, Toshiba Satellite M50, Intel Pentium M processor 1.73GHz, 512Mb RAM

Part no: PSM50A-06S001, Serial no: Y5255256K, some other number on the bottom of my laptop: PM740512I9156014WCH ag QP 1Y.

There. Happy? biggrin.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.