Streaks on my monitor

Picolini

Hey guys, I just noticed a problem here, and I don't know what's going on!

Everything on my screen with a contrasting single color background behind it seems to streak white across the background... Text, images, etc.

Here's a picture to show what I'm talking about. You can see it better when I highlight a block of text.

Any idea what's going on here??? Seems really weird. I have a warranty on my screen so I can get it replaced if it's nothing fixable. But it'd still be a pain to go through all that crap. Another odd thing, when I click the Auto button the monitor, it usually sets it right (right width, height, contrast and brightness) but when I just hit it, the screen was too much to the top left off center... dontgetit.gif

EDIT:

My little bro looked at the picture on another computer and says he can't see the streaks, so it must just be my monitor. Is there a fix to this? Or is my monitor crapping out?

EDIT 2:

Here's pictures I took with my camera, so I'm sure you can see it now tounge.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Picolini

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Oh. That happens here when there's only a black background and a white mouse cursor. There's a cursor "trail" when I move it, it's funny. But since it only happens in this case, I don't care at all, but I know what you mean =)

It only happens when there's a bright color on the foreground and a dark color on the background, never the other way around.

Have you tried setting the brightness down? By the way, is your monitor a CRT or LCD one? Mine's a CRT, though the "trail" looks like that so-hated ghost from LCDs.

It's a flat panel LCD.

I wouldn't say it's a ghost, as it's isn't a copy of the contrasting image/text, it's more of a trail, or streak.

It's not noticeable at normal use, but I work with images a lot in photoshop, so these streaks can possible confuse me and make it hard to properly do some things.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

It's a flat panel LCD.

I wouldn't say it's a ghost, as it's isn't a copy of the contrasting image/text, it's more of a trail, or streak.

It's not noticeable at normal use, but I work with images a lot in photoshop, so these streaks can possible confuse me and make it hard to properly do some things.

I see. Did you check the brightness already?

You highlighted my topic! wow.gif

Is there not a way to set all settings to default? Isn't that what Degauss is for?

that's for CRT monitors AFAIK, puts a high voltage on the clusters, to "clean" them up.

user posted image

user posted image

Haha, I just found out I had the same problem as you before I did a degauss.

After all them years of not actually trying it..

Degauss is a CRT thing, it attempts to neutralise the charge on a part of the monitor which sets the beam out of alignment slightly so you get blurring. I think.

Have you tried swapping your monitor with another to rule out it being the graphics cards at fault? If so, speak to whoever your warranty's with and try and get it replaced I guess.

"Face Your Fears, Live Your Dreams" - No Fear

"God was a dream of good government." - Deus Ex Machina

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,

you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

sig.jpg

I'll try swapping it with my brother's spare monitor (also an LCD)... my guess is it's my monitor, sadly.

That should be fun getting it fixed/replaced... suicidal.gif

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Max out the refresh rate to 75Hz. Lower refresh rates are bad for your eyes and the color quality will be crappy on high resolutions.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.