4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

WordPress

Toni Antonio Cipriani

Toni Antonio Cipriani

Ok, here's a little introduction. I created this thread to talk about the PHP/SQL software WordPress. WordPress is a blogging platform and is one of the world's most popular. It's website is http://www.wordpress.org. It's got a whole lot of features. My Blog and my GTA Fansite are both powered by WordPress. So, does anyone here use WordPress?

Toni Antonio Cipriani
I used to use it

Nice features and stuff but yeah I dunno why I stopped using it LOL

Why? Did you move to another platform? Just wondering happy.gif

I used to use it

Nice features and stuff but yeah I dunno why I stopped using it LOL

Why? Did you move to another platform? Just wondering happy.gif

Nah just stopped blogging and everything all together

Toni Antonio Cipriani

It's understandable. After all, work, school, life, entertainment, GTA, family, etc. is more important.

Yeah, I run my blogs on WordPress. It's pretty nice, but it's popularity lends itself to exploits too much, so I've always got to update to the newest version.

I think the strongpoint is the amount of plugins available for it.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

I am currently running an attempt at using WordPress. And while it does appear nice, I am not that pleased. I keep getting comments I need to moderate, I know I could turn it off all together, but I do not want that. Therefore I am strongly considering scrapping WordPress and go back to the old blog software I created myself. Which is a lot easier to use... for me at least.

I am currently running an attempt at using WordPress. And while it does appear nice, I am not that pleased. I keep getting comments I need to moderate, I know I could turn it off all together, but I do not want that. Therefore I am strongly considering scrapping WordPress and go back to the old blog software I created myself. Which is a lot easier to use... for me at least.

You have Askimet installed? I haven't really had to moderate any comments with it.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

Toni Antonio Cipriani
I am currently running an attempt at using WordPress.  And while it does appear nice, I am not that pleased.  I keep getting comments I need to moderate, I know I could turn it off all together, but I do not want that.  Therefore I am strongly considering scrapping WordPress and go back to the old blog software I created myself.  Which is a lot easier to use... for me at least.

You have Askimet installed? I haven't really had to moderate any comments with it.

Yeah, Askimet works pretty well. You can check out this website for all the coll WP Plugins: http://www.wp-plugins.net

I get all my plugins from there.

Anyway, SagaciousKJB, are you on WP 2.3.1 now? I have a plugin called WordPress Automatic Upgrade which helps you upgrade your WP version easily. I suggest you use it, if you're not doing so. Do a search on Google smile.gif

I just started blogging again, actually. I use Blogger. It's a bitch to use simply because of the HTML. Sagacious, I could probably have you take a look at the HTML for one of my posts, and you could probably tell me why it's so damn buggy. The font sizes are never right and when I change them, they never actually change. So, who do I use it? Because it lets me change the typeface I want to use... a feature I found missing on WordPress and I didn't really feel like changing the HTML every time I post.

EDIT: I use it because I already got Feedburner/CSS/XML feeds already set up for it.

Toni Antonio Cipriani

I just started blogging again, actually. I use Blogger. It's a bitch to use simply because of the HTML. Sagacious, I could probably have you take a look at the HTML for one of my posts, and you could probably tell me why it's so damn buggy. The font sizes are never right and when I change them, they never actually change. So, who do I use it? Because it lets me change the typeface I want to use... a feature I found missing on WordPress and I didn't really feel like changing the HTML every time I post.

EDIT: I use it because I already got Feedburner/CSS/XML feeds already set up for it.

No, don't use the free service at WordPress.com. Find a free host like http://www.kilu.de or http://www.byethost.com and run WordPress on it, then install a plugin that enables you to change fonts. It's simple to do. Plus, WordPress is not as buggy and messy as blogger. Trust me, Blogger sucks.

By the way, what's your blog's URL?

You can change the typeface in WordPress with the Theme Editor or editing the CSS files if you have access to everything on your own server. CSS is pretty simple, the only problem I forsee is you not knowing which class to edit for what, but that's not very hard to figure out depending on what theme you use.

I've never used Blogger, but i would bet that the bugginess has to do with their php, which you can't change.

Also, updating wordpress is annoying to me because the way they put it in the "Upload" folder first. Makes it more difficult for me to just dump it on my server correctly.

Edited by SagaciousKJB

Toni Antonio Cipriani
You can change the typeface in WordPress with the Theme Editor or editing the CSS files if you have access to everything on your own server. CSS is pretty simple, the only problem I forsee is you not knowing which class to edit for what, but that's not very hard to figure out depending on what theme you use.

I've never used Blogger, but i would bet that the bugginess has to do with their php, which you can't change.

Also, updating wordpress is annoying to me because the way they put it in the "Upload" folder first. Makes it more difficult for me to just dump it on my server correctly.

I love WordPress! I never use the upload function, though. I just uplaod it on to the server manually using SmartFTP.

The only real complaint I have for WordPress is that there are not that many themes for it as you'd think. I had to look for a very long time for a basic white and black theme, and I still wound up having to modify it.

Also, does anyone use MyBB? I've been testing out a new plugin that makes a bridge between WordPress and MyBB. Every post that's made on WordPress will be sent to the MyBB forum software, and comments made on those threads will be sent back. It's pretty slick, but I"m not so sure that there's really a big userbase behind MyBB--there should be though, it's really nice forum software.

Edited by SagaciousKJB

Toni Antonio Cipriani
The only real complaint I have for WordPress is that there are not that many themes for it as you'd think. I had to look for a very long time for a basic white and black theme, and I still wound up having to modify it.

Also, does anyone use MyBB? I've been testing out a new plugin that makes a bridge between WordPress and MyBB. Every post that's made on WordPress will be sent to the MyBB forum software, and comments made on those threads will be sent back. It's pretty slick, but I"m not so sure that there's really a big userbase behind MyBB--there should be though, it's really nice forum software.

There's already such a plugin! Search on wp-plugins.net and you'll see it. There are lots of themes for WordPress, really. There's a simple black and white theme I used to use, but I forgot what it's called. Milky White or something.

The only real complaint I have for WordPress is that there are not that many themes for it as you'd think.  I had to look for a very long time for a basic white and black theme, and I still wound up having to modify it.

Also, does anyone use MyBB? I've been testing out a new plugin that makes a bridge between WordPress and MyBB.  Every post that's made on WordPress will be sent to the MyBB forum software, and comments made on those threads will be sent back.  It's pretty slick, but I"m not so sure that there's really a big userbase behind MyBB--there should be though, it's really nice forum software.

There's already such a plugin! Search on wp-plugins.net and you'll see it. There are lots of themes for WordPress, really. There's a simple black and white theme I used to use, but I forgot what it's called. Milky White or something.

Yeah, there was no plugin for mybb on the site you linked to. Probably plenty for other board software, though.

There's a lot of them, but the problem is they're never that good. Just finding a basic layout can be a pain in the ass. I had to look for hours before just finding a s simple one like the one I'm using now.

Woh wordpress has changed...You have to download and install something now? And get a host? It was all on wordpress.org when I first did one

I might have to find a new place to blog

Toni Antonio Cipriani
Woh wordpress has changed...You have to download and install something now? And get a host? It was all on wordpress.org when I first did one

Use ByetHost.com smile.gif

Take a look at my blog and comment, ok?

http://www.hotdvl.co.nr

You can stop now. There's really no reason to whore your blog every dozen posts. Drop a link (as you've done already) in your sig and leave it at that.

You can stop now. There's really no reason to whore your blog every dozen posts. Drop a link (as you've done already) in your sig and leave it at that.

Hey Uno Carb, how do you get the link to your blog in your sig?

Thanks,

Toni Antonio Cipriani

I was talking to Vic Campo, not you.

Anyway, Vic, have you found a free web host already? I might be able to help you.

Uno does have a point, there are 3 links in every one of your posts as it is when you include your signature member title and website link. I think thats enough.

If someone is interested in finding out about your site they'll come across the link, you don't have to share it additionally in every other post you make in this forum.

Vic Campo, adding a link in your signature is the same as adding a link in any topic, just use the

My Webpage

tag.

Unless you plan on installing plugins and customising your blog a lot then i think simply signing up to wordpress.com would be fine for you.

You don't have to worry about upgrades at any point and they offer quite a nice selection of themes for you to choose from.

Sag, i think there are plenty of themes out there, its just a case of having to sort through the masses of crap that is also available.

Depending on the time and effort you want to put in, there are other alternatives such as finding a basic template then turning it into a wordpress theme. There is a nice collection of designs over at http://www.oswd.org/ and http://www.openwebdesign.org/ some of which could be easily made into an attractive blog.

You might have already stumbled across this one, but in terms of simplicity i'm a big fan of K2 - http://getk2.com

Vic Campo, adding a link in your signature is the same as adding a link in any topic, just use the
My Webpage

tag.

Unless you plan on installing plugins and customising your blog a lot then i think simply signing up to wordpress.com would be fine for you.

You don't have to worry about upgrades at any point and they offer quite a nice selection of themes for you to choose from.

I'm talking about the straight link to his feed

My Webpage

tag.

I'm talking about the straight link to his feed

[img]URL of image[ /IMG]

Uno does have a point, there are 3 links in every one of your posts as it is when you include your signature member title and website link. I think thats enough.

If someone is interested in finding out about your site they'll come across the link, you don't have to share it additionally in every other post you make in this forum.

My Webpage

tag.

Sag, i think there are plenty of themes out there, its just a case of having to sort through the masses of crap that is also available.

Depending on the time and effort you want to put in, there are other alternatives such as finding a basic template then turning it into a wordpress theme. There is a nice collection of designs over at http://www.oswd.org/ and http://www.openwebdesign.org/ some of which could be easily made into an attractive blog.

You might have already stumbled across this one, but in terms of simplicity i'm a big fan of K2 - http://getk2.com

That looks quite a bit like the default WordPress theme. Just a coincidence?

Also, all the sudden my WP/MyBB plugin started behaving strangely as soon as I posted about it in here. Jinxed myself or something.

Toni Antonio Cipriani

That looks quite a bit like the default WordPress theme. Just a coincidence?

Also, all the sudden my WP/MyBB plugin started behaving strangely as soon as I posted about it in here. Jinxed myself or something.

No, K2 is designed by the same man who created Kubrick (the default WP theme), and K2 is also very much regarded as Kubrick 2, so there you have it.