2. Support

3. Suggestions

Lounge for The Chain Game: San Andreas

Ryan

A late Merry Xmas and a slightly early Happy New Year, everyone !!  smile.gif

Nice to see you at the computer..

Hope you are healing quickly.

Wishing Everyboby A Happy New Year

Haven't been around lately to check this topic (it's sure been slow this round) but still,

HOPE EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT 2008

..and hope the Chain Game does too!

Nice to see you've returned, rubregg.

Hope you're getting well. smile.gif

Happy New Year Everybody

We stept into the new year 3hours ago, but still thanks and a happy new year to you to

I like the 4 star gang wars idea.. makes it a lot harder tounge.gif

Thanks - OrionSR & pdescobar get the credit for that, a great idea!

Also thanks for posting here & not in the chain game topic!

We'll get it going soon.

I should probably add a few notes on the gang wars so people know what to expect. And it's probably best to do that here since people can discuss it without spamming up the round's topic.

Chain Game 24 - 4 Star Gang War Notes:

Gang wars are not enabled early and will be triggered as part of the normal game script. This choice was made so we wouldn't need to constantly defend restricted turfs during the main story line. There may be a short pause in the flow of the story between Doberman and The Green Sabre.

Only a few turfs have been added to the map. The gangs zone were added to cities in areas not heavily used by missions to minimize their influence on the storyline. I lost track of the final count, but only 30 or so gang turfs have been added. This number should allow us to maintain the 35% control to continue with the final missions at the end of the game without the need to take over a lot, or any beyond the mission, of the LS territories.

Several modifications were needed to get sufficient levels of gangs into the zone and populate them with other appropriate peds and cars. I hope I worked out most of the major bugs, but you may notice area with the wrong peds, not enough peds or cars, and more than likely, far too many gang members. For this initial round, I have dense gang population in many of the LV neighborhoods in order to assure that the gang members would spawn in sufficient numbers to start a war under 4 star conditions. I'm worried I've over done it - they're everywhere when the wanted level is disabled.

CJ has an extra bonus of 100 armor again this round - 200 normal, 250 after vigilante. We figured this would be very useful as we learn to handle 4 star gang wars. I'd like to trim this back to a more reasonable level in future rounds, so try not to get too dependent on it.

Plan ahead before taking over the well populated zones next to areas without many peds or cars. The Sobell Rail Yards will be more difficult to take after Linden and Creek are under Grove control.

Several people of various skill levels have tried the gang war test save. Everyone seemed to come up with different strategies (after a little practice to get used to the action) that worked well for them. After things get started, I'd love to hear what strategies you find particularly effective.

Edited by OrionSR

I like the 4 star gang wars idea.. makes it a lot harder tounge.gif

Thanks - OrionSR & pdescobar get the credit for that, a great idea!

Also thanks for posting here & not in the chain game topic!

We'll get it going soon.

No problem... the message at the bottom was pretty obvious

Also wouldn't it be good if those Gang War notes are added to: "Things that are different from the original game" (Or whatever that title is tounge.gif)

Also wouldn't it be good if those Gang War notes are added to: "Things that are different from the original game" (Or whatever that title is tounge.gif)

Maybe, but that introduction page is so long that I don't really want to clutter it unnecessarily. The plan is to discuss relevant issues when the wars open up so they don't get forgotten from the 1st page, or ignored in spin-off threads.

So, I'm guessing that when we start a gang war, we have a 4-star wanted level? Also, when is the starting save going to be posted?

Merry Christmas and a happy, prosperous new year to everyone in the Chain Game. biggrin.gif

Once the check list is posted we should be good to go. As far as the gang wars, they don't bring a wanted level on their own. However, there are some gang turfs in SF and LV, and if you visit these areas when the gang wars are enabled after Doberman, then you'll get the automatic 4 star wanted level and need to deal with the cops between wars. Once you get the war started new cops don't spawn, and the wars spawn more health and armor, so it's not completely impossible. Still, it takes a bit of getting used to, even for a 4 star vet like myself. During practice I was only getting a half dozen or so turfs before getting wasted by something unexpected - I've got a better plan now.

Someone probably could answer it better, but here's my understanding on it; CJ can have a 'minor' accident and it could trigger the parachute to start to open but CJ doesn't have enough altitude for it to fully open and CJ gets wasted.

Edited by JAJ

What's wrong with having a parachute in the Chain Game saves?

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with having a parachute in the chain game. However, and JAJ is pretty close on this one, for any fall that lasts long enough (and it doesn't have to be much), CJ will go into the freefall animation, equip the parachute, and usually die instantly unless he lands in water. Since CJ can survive a fall from any altitude if his health is maxed, the parachute is quite a handicap. So, the Chain Game Checker provides a warning that CJ is armed with a parachute so I can get rid of it before taking any risks - like riding a bike at full speed. The IR Goggles are in the Armory next to the Parachute for this reason.

I encourage people to consider whether or not they really need a parachute before collecting one, try to use it after collection, or equip it before saving so there aren't any surprises for the next player.

What's wrong with having a parachute in the Chain Game saves?

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with having a parachute in the chain game. However, and JAJ is pretty close on this one, for any fall that lasts long enough (and it doesn't have to be much), CJ will go into the freefall animation, equip the parachute, and usually die instantly unless he lands in water. Since CJ can survive a fall from any altitude if his health is maxed, the parachute is quite a handicap. So, the Chain Game Checker provides a warning that CJ is armed with a parachute so I can get rid of it before taking any risks - like riding a bike at full speed. The IR Goggles are in the Armory next to the Parachute for this reason.

I encourage people to consider whether or not they really need a parachute before collecting one, try to use it after collection, or equip it before saving so there aren't any surprises for the next player.

Yeah this happened to me once in the Chain Game. I tried to do some 4-star stuff, so I flew into LV to do some races. During the Dam Rider race, I accidentally crashed my bike, and fell down towards the beach that was below the freeway that I was on. I opened the parachute, even though I did so, CJ died instantly so I had to start over.

Thanks for making it clear.

First of all, I gave CJ some new clothes. I went to see Ryder; he wanted to rob some army dude's place in East Beach. He called it a home invasion. After this, I relinquished my armour before heading outside again. I was shocked and delighted to see that there is now a motorbike spawning in front of OG Loc's house. Has it been found before? I do not know, and it's name slips me. (See picture below) Nonetheless, I rode over to Little Mexico where I did some motorbike race called City Circuit. Sweet! I got $10,000 for the race, and some respect from my homies after the robbery.

user posted image

Thanks, Stefan. Yes, it has been discovered before, but I keep waiting for someone to wonder when it appears. The Grove PCJ-600 was part of the legacy vehicles from pre-round 20; it's become very familiar to many players so no one seem to notice it much. It's one of my favorites of the legacy vehicles, which it why it's still included in current rounds, and I felt it worthy of mission unlocked status so it's only there some of the time. When I started this project we had several players that were pretty good about completing the missions that unlock the vehicles, but recently I've been missing these vehicles during the early missions. I'm afraid there aren't many clues to the mission unlocked vehicles this round since 12 were unlocked during a single turn.

There is something new to be discovered in the area you were playing, so keep your eyes peeled.

Added: The Grove PCJ played an important role in discovering the nature of the vehicle generator flags. The version that pdescobar included in in the legacy rounds was the only vehicle he used to experiment with what was documented as the player_owned flag. It didn't work, CJ still received stars if he got on the bike for the 1st time in front of a cop, it's just that foot cops don't spawn on Grove Street, so it's hard to test the matter. However, I was unaware of PD's intended setting, and was puzzled about why the Grove PCJ would spawn on the street when the other vehicles didn't.

We've since renamed the flag to force_spawn. All of the new vehicles added to the chain game have this flag. Also, we've gone through the list of standard vehicles and have applied the force_spawn flag to many of the vehicles that would be more useful if they ever spawned when they should. So now the Angel Pine Sanchez, Airstrip PCJ, and LS Tower Maverick will usually be there when CJ arrives at the location using a load, door, or warp. The true player_owned flag was isolated a short while later. We've got that set on most of the reward vehicles, hideout vehicles, or anything else that seems to belong to CJ.

Edited by OrionSR

There is something new to be discovered in the area you were playing, so keep your eyes peeled.

Mate, I looked everywhere an nothing. It seems like another thing to be discovered in the midst of play, I guess. tounge.gif

Mate, I looked everywhere an nothing. It seems like another thing to be discovered in the midst of play, I guess. tounge.gif

Sorry, my mistake. I got the races mixed up. I've got to stop trying to leave clues when I'm tired. Besides, the new vehicle I'm thinking of is marked on the map, so I guess it's not all that big of a secret. It's just that no one has mentioned it yet.

Sorry, my mistake. I got the races mixed up. I've got to stop trying to leave clues when I'm tired. Besides, the new vehicle I'm thinking of is marked on the map, so I guess it's not all that big of a secret. It's just that no one has mentioned it yet.

So I looked around half of Los Santos for 90 minutes looking for a vehicle which is already known?

I feel gutted. lol.gif

Sorry, again. But these is an unmarked, and undiscovered vehicle still in that general area, so I don't feel too bad.

That's so much for mentioning the Verona Beach BF-400 (you might want to check on it again later). I was quite happy about the parking job but was afraid no one would see it as they exit the door. I've got another favorite parking job in the area, but it's not available yet.

The Verdant Bluffs save garage will save whichever aircraft someone can fit on top. Phreak is fairly skilled at cramming the larger aircraft in the garage - I didn't think the Hydra would fit. Many of the save garages can hold various aircraft, usually only helicopters.

Sorry, again. But these is an unmarked, and undiscovered vehicle still in that general area, so I don't feel too bad.

That's so much for mentioning the Verona Beach BF-400 (you might want to check on it again later). I was quite happy about the parking job but was afraid no one would see it as they exit the door. I've got another favorite parking job in the area, but it's not available yet.

The Verdant Bluffs save garage will save whichever aircraft someone can fit on top. Phreak is fairly skilled at cramming the larger aircraft in the garage - I didn't think the Hydra would fit. Many of the save garages can hold various aircraft, usually only helicopters.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering whether someone would answer that.

One question about the gang wars, though.

Since at the end of the game, the OGF are required to hold 35% of the territory. Do those include territories in San Fierro and Las Venturas? For example, in the original game, 35% is about 20 territories. Since there are about 180 territories now, we have to hold about 60-65 territories, right?

By the way, merry christmas everyone. smile.gif I'm a Serbian Orthodox Christian, and we celebrate Christmas today. smile.gif

Edited by Stefan Matovic Cvetkovic

One question about the gang wars, though.

Since at the end of the game, the OGF are required to hold 35% of the territory. Do those include territories in San Fierro and Las Venturas? For example, in the original game, 35% is about 20 territories. Since there are about 180 territories now, we have to hold about 60-65 territories, right?

You are correct that we need to control 35% to trigger End of the Line and these extra territories are included but your count is way off. We have added 36 turfs so there are 89 total gang territories in this round (and there will briefly be 93 between Green Sabre & Los Desperados because of the Azteca turf around Unity Station.) Thus we need to control 32 of those to reach the 35% goal.

One advantage to having these extra turfs in SF/LV is that they should not be taken away after Green Sabre. Therefore, if we control at least 32 of these extra 36 territories in those cities, we will maintain 35% through the entire game regardless of what happens to the LS territory.