4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Anamon

Best "metropolis"?

Anamon

I wonder if anyone feels the way about the cities of the first GTA game. In terms of having that atmosphere of a huge metropolis, where a lot of people are living and a lot of stuff is going on that you don't know about, I think the first game succeeded the most when compared to all its current successors. Cruising and walking around in Liberty City 1, with all its blocks, alleyways, and countless backyards, I find it fascinating how it really feels like that huge "anonymous" place with countless people living their lives around you.

This is also somewhat true for GTA2, although I personally found that the surreal, futuristic atmosphere made me like the scenario a bit less.

GTA3 and Vice City are both taking place in very nice cities, and Vice City is personally my favourite game of the series, but they don't get that feeling across. Of course all the really distinguishable spots and secrets everywhere are cool and very important to a game world like GTA's, but these cities have almost nothing else. To have that metropolis feel, I think a bit of repetitive scenery and some places where there's just nothing to be found have to be there too. I understand that for those games it was probably also a technological reasons, because the cities couldn't become too large.

San Andreas was the right size smile.gif but of course divided into several cities... although I really think that that feeling I meant came across better in SA's three cities than in any of the previous 3D cities. I can't wait to see the new Liberty City in GTA4. It will be smaller than San Andreas, but it will be one city again, so I think, and also hope, that the overall feel will be more like in the first GTA again.

What do you think?

saintdave

Interesting thoughts and theories icon14.gif

I agree with you in some ways, GTA 1 did have that feel that you were a “small fish in a big pond” and in doing so gave you a real sense of freedom in where you could go and what you could do. Having so much space and civilisation around you made it almost life like. I do believe this came down to the view of the game, which as we all know is the classic birds eye view. In doing the original games like this you could see more, moving through the city in vehicles at high speeds made the screen zoom out and fit even more of what was going on into your own personal view. The 3D GTA’s only have what’s immediately around you which is why at times you can find an area almost deserted.

bananabis

Well in the III & VC, all the action is happening around you. Personally Rockstar should have doubled the amount of random things happening around you. More cars going around, more people walking, things happening. It's something I would like to see in GTAIV.

In LC1 of GTA, I'd have to agree with you on that. I really liked the setup of the city and how it wasn't just all streets (i.e. North Park, the dump, loading docks). I personally wished they may have included some type of boat vehicle in the games, and maybe added some "secret hideout" islands around the main cities in GTA1. But, other than that, its a great game with all its pizza delivery style missions.

Claude GTA3
Interesting thoughts and theories icon14.gif

I agree with you in some ways, GTA 1 did have that feel that you were a “small fish in a big pond” and in doing so gave you a real sense of freedom in where you could go and what you could do. Having so much space and civilisation around you made it almost life like. I do believe this came down to the view of the game, which as we all know is the classic birds eye view. In doing the original games like this you could see more, moving through the city in vehicles at high speeds made the screen zoom out and fit even more of what was going on into your own personal view. The 3D GTA’s only have what’s immediately around you which is why at times you can find an area almost deserted.

And THAT'S why I can't wait for the GTA 1 and a 1/2 mod

Anamon

Wow, I read my post again and thought it was really messed up, but obviously you still understood what I meant to say, and I'm not the only one with that feeling.

bananabis and saintdave, well put, that's exactly what I meant. In some way, the 2nd generation GTA games make it too obvious that everything that's happening around the city happens only because of you, and for you, the player.

Claude, what mods are you talking about? Sounds interesting

Claude GTA3
Wow, I read my post again and thought it was really messed up, but obviously you still understood what I meant to say, and I'm not the only one with that feeling.

bananabis and saintdave, well put, that's exactly what I meant. In some way, the 2nd generation GTA games make it too obvious that everything that's happening around the city happens only because of you, and for you, the player.

Claude, what mods are you talking about? Sounds interesting

There's a mod called: GTA 1 and a half,which converts the grandaddy of them all(Grand Theft Auto) into the 3D world,and making the Character models,maybe peds,some cars,and retexturing the towns

Dolven

I remember the first time I played GTA 1 on my old computer and when it was one of the best game's around at the time. you could just go anywhere, do anything or kill anything.

Because the maps where so big it was difficult at first to find your way around, I spent so long trying to complete the missions that I still know most the maps especially the LC map.

Vice city is also my favourite GTA game so far, but when the newer GTA games come out it will get old, just like GTA 1 is now.