3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

<head> tag

Barguast

Barely worth a topic I know, but it is kinda important to something I'm working on;

Are there are potential problems in putting the <head> tag AFTER the <body> tag in a HTML document, or any other particular reasons why it shouldn't be done?

That's all. smile.gif

O_o Why would you put the head tag after the body tag? That is what does not make sense to me. It is called head for a reason. I mean, a header has to be before the data, because it describes how the data must be rendered.

I mean, a header has to be before the data, because it describes how the data must be rendered.

Does it? I always thought of it more as general information about the document (with the exception of CSS files, and possibly scripts) but then again, I'm certainly no HTML expert.

The reason for it is hard to describe, but it basically boils down to some PHP code I'm writing that 'builds' a page out of components - each of which may rely on a Javascript file. If two components need the same Javascript file, then I don't want it to write out the same <link> tag twice (in the head), but I won't know until after the components have all been written (in the body).

... Actually, reading that back, maybe it's not the best explanation! This is only one workaround I'm considering.

Then apparently you haven't written your PHP code and javascript well enough. It is like inserting a goto in C code. You just DON'T do it, you rewrite your code.

user posted image

The reason for it is hard to describe, but it basically boils down to some PHP code I'm writing that 'builds' a page out of components - each of which may rely on a Javascript file. If two components need the same Javascript file, then I don't want it to write out the same <link> tag twice (in the head), but I won't know until after the components have all been written (in the body).

Option 1: If you don't have too much JS, just put it all in one file, and add it in the beginning.

Option 2: JS doesn't have to come in the header. You can put it in the body right before the portion that uses it. Not the most elegant thing to do, but short of using a request buffer system, this should work for you. Just put your <JavaScript src="..."> tags where you need them, and track the ones you have already echoed with an array.

Option 3: Two passes. First pass adds requests to echo certain portions of the page to the request buffer. In between passes you read the buffer and see which scripts you need. Second pass, you read the buffer and actually perform the output.

Ugh, K^2, it is actually <script type="text/javascript" src="..."></script>, not whatever you came up with. Just clearing that up!

Right. I don't know why I wrote that. I think I was thinking of <script language="JavaScript"...>

I am quite sure the language attribute is out dated. And W3C would advice you to use type over language. If the browser is too old to understand it, then it probably doesn't understand javascript either.

I did not know that. I'm not up to date on W3C standards. I'll try to keep it in mind. Thanks.

I am quite sure the language attribute is out dated.  And W3C would advice you to use type over language.

Yup.

Hmm, a bit confusing... You say "if two components need the same javascript file..." well you don't need to add 2 calls to the JS if they're using the same function...

I probably misunderstood that though.

Either do what svip said and compile all your JS into one file, or what K^2 said and put 'em where you need 'em. I like the first option, but either will work. late-edit: Whoops, just re-read the topic, K^2 provided both of those, sorry...

Perhaps you could show us some of your code, might help. smile.gif

Edited by TheRoper