The Rolling Stones

Canofceleri

I grew up listening to them because it was my dad's favorite. I never cared for them much and always thought it was funny how they were one of the most popular bands ever back in the day but the current generation feels largely indifferent to them while loving bands like The Doors and The Beatles. Something must've not aged well about them.

But after my dad died a few months ago I've grown a lot more fond of them. Songs that my dad listened to like Mothers Little Helper, As Tears Go By, Playing With Fire, etc. are really nice to listen to. And Moonlight Mile which I first heard on The Sopranos is a badass song... it's weird, like listening to something different now.

Hey man, sorry for you loss nervous.gif

I like Rolling Stones to! I started to listen them way back in 1995 when I was still a kid, and they was my first Rock band that I ever listened. Also heard them first time from my dad old records.

My favorite songs are Anybody Seen My Baby, Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction, Start Me Up, Waiting on a Friend and many others....

user posted image

The Stones are good. I think bands like The Doors and The Beatles are more popular is because they both had their most popular members die young. For some reason whenever a good band has their stars die, the generation after seems to revere them as gods. Such as done with Kurt Cobain and Nirvana.

Although I'd also have to say that The Doors and The Beatles were still somewhat better than The Rolling Stones anyway.

The Stones are good.  I think bands like The Doors and The Beatles are more popular is because they both had their most popular members die young.  For some reason whenever a good band has their stars die, the generation after seems to revere them as gods.  Such as done with Kurt Cobain and Nirvana.

Although I'd also have to say that The Doors and The Beatles were still somewhat better than The Rolling Stones anyway.

We vault most dead public personas into martyrdom. We are suckers for remembrance.

The Stones are one of my most played bands. Sticky Fingers and Goat's Head Soup are probably my favorite albums by them.

usZpdN9.png

The Stones are good. I think bands like The Doors and The Beatles are more popular is because they both had their most popular members die young. For some reason whenever a good band has their stars die, the generation after seems to revere them as gods. Such as done with Kurt Cobain and Nirvana.

I'd have to say that I agree, The Beatles are one of my favorites and I love a lot of the Doors. I feel sort of at odds with The Beatles, they seem very flippant as far as going with trends in spite of musicians like Zappa that truly went against the grain and was less good ole fashion rock pop music and more visionary composer. Though, I have to say from Revolver, even Rubber Soul, on the Beatles were excellent. The White Album is a f*cking amazing piece of art.

Attorney General

The Stones are in my top 5 for sure. I always wanted to see one of their shows.

Jumpin Jack Flash, Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, Street Fighting Man, Honkey Tonk Woman, Not Fade Away, Paint it Black, Brown Sugar...all great jams. Sympathy for the Devil is a classic too...the song just captivates the listener. That and Tumbling Dice are probably my favorite Stones tunes.

pAafese.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Jones of the Stones died too. I just think the sound production of the Doors and the Beatles stuff is much better than the same-era Stones stuff. It kind of put me off.

Although, tracks like Get off My Cloud, Paint It Black, Angie, Jumping JacK Flash are amazing. More recently Start Me up.

No Expectations

Its definitely my favourite band, especially because of their late 60s/early 70s work. Everything from Beggars Banquet to Black and Blue is pure brilliance. I went to their Bigger Bang Tour this summer and they were still amazing. Well.. Mick was. Keith was too drunk to care.

user posted image

The stones are defenately in the top 3 best bands ever(after the beatles and the who smile.gif )

But now they are suffering from "The Rolling Stones syndrom", a syndrom that can not be healed. This syndrom means that you just release some very poor albums, coz you are the biggest band in the world, so they will like it anyway.

just another thug

I absolutely love Gimme Shelter. The Beatles and The Doors are better bands than the Stones, imo, but that doesn't mean I like the Stones any less.

user posted image

Statutory Ray

But now they are suffering from "The Rolling Stones syndrom", a syndrom that can not be healed. This syndrom means that you just release some very poor albums, coz you are the biggest band in the world, so they will like it anyway.

The Rolling Stones' last 3 albums are better than anything most bands nowadays have ever done.

I don't get where you're getting this "poor albums" thing from.

You are complaining about the Stones. The Rolling Stones? The f*cking Rolling Stones? The single greatest band to ever perform and you are COMPLAINING? WTF is wrong with you people? The Beatles were pop music they are and were not ROCK. The Rolling Stones are bigger than Elvis and the Beatles. The Beatles? How do you come off comparing the Stones to the Beatles?

You who dislike the Stones are misguided. There is not one song that is bad in the Stones catalogue. They always have and always will produce great sounds.

I have to leave this thread but before I do one last thing.

user posted image

If you don't know what that is... GTFO!

• 7 months later...

There are "bad" Stones songs, I even admit to that.

Satisfaction was an album filler, ask the Stones about it, they felt it was very sub-par... the public on the other hand!!! They made it an all time classic!

Regardless, taste is subjective but that will never mean the Stones aren't one of the premier acts to ever exist.

They paved the way for everyone ahead of them, there is no way to possibly deny that at all.

The Stones and Beatles fans bash heads all the time on YouTube comments spaces...and I find it odd it is still going on this day in age, but it speaks as testament to the impact both bands have made!

God Bless The Stones! They shall gather no moss as they keep on Rollin'

I wonder how many of you bought the box sets or bootlegs? I have a number of them and was just enjoying the ABko singles 3 disc collection.

I have the GreatDane pro collection boot called Hot Stuff, Studio Work. 4 Cds of studio rarities. There exists another set of 4 CDs packed with live tracks! It's a MUST OWN!!!!!

Anyone want to discuss some of their lesser known tracks or myths? I had missed the 70s in terms of shows, but I was listening to AOR radio daily.

EDIT>>

Only noted I was in the old, OLD section with search on these, but I was looking to discuss The Stones while listening to them, so I will just start new topics and worry about locks later I guess. Sorry to the mods and anyone who clicks on topics they have no interest in just to be upset about something.

S O R R Y.

I'll add to this instead of any more bumping. I bought all Mick and Kieth's solo recordings as well. My interest really took off with their Dirty Work album in 86. I knew of them for many years prior but only the Goat's Head Soup stuff amazed me. With Pink Floyd, I didn't like Money when I first heard it. I got a taste of UmmaGumma and I was TOTALLY hooked on Floyd at that point onward. The Stones are everybit as important as PF in rock history. ... Add Zep, Kiss, The Who...

Most of the bases are covered...well, VH and Sabbath for me as well. Metallica picked up the musical gauntlet in the 80s

Edited by Slamman

• 1 month later...
smooretwenty

nobody is better than the beatles but the rolling stones are way up there. even though most people think the opposite even if they dont know it or not, I think the fact that they're still around only makes me like them more. There isnt much time left for some of the gods of rock and roll to stay alive

Tony Mozzarelli 80

The Stones kick arse. That's just an irrefutable fact. Also the Doors are one of the greatest bands ever

I think the stones are okay i'm starting to like them more than i used too.

The Beatles are more popular because they were on a different level to the stones, The Rolling Stones got 8 number ones in the US whereas The Beatles got 20. The Rolling Stones in many ways copied The Beatles for example when the Beatles bought out "all you need is love" The Stones bought out the song "we love you". The Beatles were also more iconic, their hairstyles, their personalities and them starting the british invasion all go together to make the Beatles more popular than The Stones to this day.

The Stones were just developing a fan base in England when they released "i wanna be your man" It was a big boost to their career, it was written by Lennon and McCartney and got to 12 in the UK charts. The Beatles also recorded this song and put it on the With The Beatles album as Ringo's song.

@Iminicus, I agree the Beatles were more pop however they did hae their rock songs, listen to the song Helter Skelter it's pretty rocky for the time.

The Beatles revolutionised music with albums such as Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. pepper and The White Album. The Stones and The Beatles are on two different levels.

Edited by hick
user posted image

I love the rolling Stones, they seem, on albums at least, tighter and more together. Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil are two of my favourite tracks by them, Paint It Black is also great too.

I like the Beatles too, but can't manage listening to some of their earlier stuff. Their stuff after they stopped touring was better.

I think a few younger people like to say they listen to these bands jst because they've heard they're the greats, without checking out how good they really are.

user posted image

Stones!! I prefer them in large contrast to the Beatles, but look at W.A.S.P.'s Blackie Lawless...he was asked Beatles or Stones, and he sided with the Beatles, but you can't tell from his music, can you? Same with Ozzy Osbourne.

However, we are here to celebrate the Stones and I have to say, their music REALLY does stand the test of time, even if we are looking at 60s and early 70s as the period, because they have a perfect blend together as a band, that despite the time they were recording and writing within each period of their career, the sound is so identifiable.

Mick and Keith love performing together now, and even when they were at odds with Dirty Work in 1985, they made it work coming back with that album, it feels re-energized.

Edited by Slamman

bagga rabbit

My favorite album of all time is STILL Exile on Main Street by the Stones. It's as "gritty " as it gets.

I really appreciate Keith Richard(s) work on his first solo LP, Talk Is Cheap. What's amusing to take note is Mick Jagger got upset about it, but Keith wasn't phased, saying "hey, You're recording your solo projects away from the band!"

The demo outtakes include an instrumental of Let It Loose on the box set I think I mentioned here, the Studio cuts on 4 CDs and another 4 CDs of live outtakes and rarities!!

I've yet to see that one anywhere but I imagine it's steller!

Here's my favs off Exiles... Sweet Viginia, Torn and Frayed, Loving Cup, Ventilator Blues (first non FM single I heard on an A to Z broadcast, that made me hunt the album down!!)

All Down the Line and Stop Breaking Down, also stand out tracks.

Happy, of course, a favorite live for many years with Keith handling vocals.

Let It Bleed is on SACD and well worth getting too.

Love in Vain, Midnight Rambler, You got The Silver, Monkey Man, Country Tonk. (Honkey Tonk Woman slowed down in BlueGrass mode)

Anyway, the Stones are amazing any way you look at it! icon14.gif

Edited by Slamman

Yet, no one has even heard of Jimi Hendrix. It's the youth we have today. Emos and sh*t. They don't care about who started to make the music we listen everyday. f*cking ingrates.

The Stones are good.  I think bands like The Doors and The Beatles are more popular is because they both had their most popular members die young.  For some reason whenever a good band has their stars die, the generation after seems to revere them as gods.  Such as done with Kurt Cobain and Nirvana.

Yet, no one has even heard of Jimi Hendrix. It's the youth we have today. Emos and sh*t. They don't care about who started to make the music we listen everyday. f*cking ingrates.

No-one has heard of Jimi Hendrix? Who are you kidding? He's one the most highly-regarded guitarists ever, even young people know about him.

user posted image

These young kids today, I tell ya! They likely don't know Hendrix, because they only know Mariah Carey, Paris Hilton, Miley Cyrus, and Britney Spears, and the amazing talant that is The Jonas Bros!!!

Pop music got a bad ribbing in the 1980s but it is absolute rubbish today and makes the old pop seem like Mozart!

No-one has heard of Jimi Hendrix? Who are you kidding? He's one the most highly-regarded guitarists ever, even young people know about him.

Believe me. It's true. At least in Portugal. I don't know about the other countries but the thing is the same: they only hear today's music or music that came since the 80's like Metallica, Megadeth, GNR, Nirvana, etc. They just don't care about the classics.

You witness, even in the States, a show like Rock in Rio, near riots and hundreds of thousands gather to hear rock and metal, so there is a rabid following because the outlets are not there, or tours just don't frequent the locales...there are a number of factors at play which is why I am so adament about supporting scenes and radio locally. The Internet wasn't around a few short years ago, to the extent where one could solely self promote. Anyway, the media really is evil because again it caters to the same thing over and over, which here in the States, is pop culture for teen girls or rap, it appears, for the boys.

The gen-gap just gets bigger and bigger. Upshot is;

You can aid a movement by just being part of it.

I am missing my Voodoo Lounge CD at the moment and crave to hear it again! Good stuff on that...from start to end.

Edited by Slamman

• 4 weeks later...

Shine A Light is already out, saw it at Best Buy a week or more ago! I want it, so yeah, soon I shall have it!

I am not so much enamored by the new album, but live, you can't beat the Stones.

Today on the radio they played When The Whip Comes Down.

I always thought the song was "With a Lift On Down"

These young kids today, I tell ya! They likely don't know Hendrix, because they only know Mariah Carey, Paris Hilton, Miley Cyrus, and Britney Spears, and the amazing talant that is The Jonas Bros!!!

Pop music got a bad ribbing in the 1980s but it is absolute rubbish today and makes the old pop seem like Mozart!

We live in dark times...

As for the Rolling Stones..I like some of their stuff, but I prefer The Beatles more though.

Yep, dark times indeed.

I just hope I get to see the upcoming Eagles and any forthcoming Stones tour. I saw the Who the most recent of the major acts that shaped music. Where the HELL is Ozzfest? He skipped our fine State several years now, it seems to me, if it's still going on! wow.gifcryani.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.