Here are my specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

System Manufacturer: Acer, inc.

System Model: TravelMate 4100

Processor: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.60GHz

Memory: 502MB RAM

Graphics Card: Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

Display Memory: 128.0 MB

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Sound Card: Conexant AMC Audio (emulated)

Problem: My laptop lately has been running VERY slow, ive had numerous virus/spyware scans, disk cleanings, defragments, also, ive tried freeing up some space, but i dont think thats the problem, ive had a look at my currently installed programs, and ive unninstalled useless ones but to no avail. I really dont know what is going on, i mean it sometime takes 1 MINUTE to open a folder.

I would just like to know if there are any programs i could use to solve this problem or anything i should do/check which i havent done/checked yet.

Thanks for your time.

oh crap

ive got the wrong section, sorry guys, mod please move this

EDIT: All sorted now

Edited by tony-resta

cold fusion 33

You could be running too many applications at the sametime, try turning them off from the bottom right taskbar.

Hope this helps,

CF33

cold fusion 33

Your Antivirus software may be running a constant stystem scan for viruses and such. Have you installed any new antivirus stuff recently?

No, i have AVG Antivirus + AVG Anti-Spyware, it updates every single morning and has a automatic scan once a week. So i dont think thats the problem, its really wierd, ive tried so many troubleshooting solutions but nothing

Do you have the copy of windows that came with the laptop installed? If you do do a full reformat and re-install, those copies come loaded with useless software that can slow down any system to a crawl. Even if you uninstall everything it'll still be slow.

Also, windows tends to screw itself over over time. With me, there's a pretty noticeable degradation after about a year, after that I just can't stand it anymore. That's why I have a separate windows partition and format that every year.

Edited by Rocketkiller

I would go for a format if i didnt have so many things which are very important to me, basically, i think the actuall laptop is getting old, i got it 2 years ago

Hmm, ive been thinking about getting me a portable hard drive to backup my system.

So lets say im ready to format, could you please tell me how i would need to do that, cheers.

Fozzy Fozborne

It should come pre-formatted. If not, just click start, my computer, right-click the new drive, click format. It should show your capacity (before you ask, it SHOULD be about 7% less than your advertised capacity, there's nothing wrong with your drive.) If it says FAT32 or FAT, change it to NTFS, select quick format, and click start. Your drive should be ready for use after you do that.

Could it be that your laptop is overheating? Try running your laptop in safe mode, to see if it could be any sort of software problem.

Hmmm, and formatting the drive would delete all custom files (things ive added to the laptop) or everything (system files). Also could you tell me the difference between FAT32, FAT and NTFS. NOTE: mine is FAT32

Thanks

FAT32? And you said it's about 2 years old? I thought all drives these days used NTFS (mine does).

btw, FAT and FAT32 and NTFS

My laptop also runs slow but not as slow as u say, i also have a friend who's laptop takes about a minute to open a file. He says he needs to reformat.

As for overheating, i recently downloaded SpeedFan and i can see the temp of my HDD. It usually gets up around 50°C, is that ok because it feels quite hot. The highest i've seen it is about 58.

So NTFS is the better one by what ive gathered?

Also, my hard drive is split in two. ACER (C:) and ACERDATA (D:), would i need to format both? also what would happen if i chose to format only one of them? Also, is there anyway to put them together? Thanks biggrin.gif

Fozzy Fozborne

NO, do not format both! One partition (should be around 5 gb, possibly 10) is your recovery partition, if you delete that, then you have no way to get Windows back.

Can someone please answer, which one of my two hard drive partitions (both holding approximately 25GB) do i need to format, also, could someone tell me if there is anyway to make it into one partition, would it change any performance or is it even possible?

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.