Which CPU?

matthew1g

I'm currently building another gaming PC which I will be putting on a LAN network with my current pc.

this PC will be intended for overclocking as well ( not water cooling for now, but I want some good potential). All the Specs are the same as with my current one:

Q6600 @2.6GHz

8800GTS 320mb

800mhz Corsair DDR2 ram

650W Xclio PSU

ASROCK-4core dual VSTA.

Now the PC is great and all, but I'm really interested in the E6750 with the 1333MHZ FSB. Which CPU would be my best bet for my intended use? I'll obviosly have to get a different motherboard from that. I was going to go for this if I get the E6750:

ASUSP5KC

and I'm upgrading both PCs with an 8800GTX next christmas too.

So what would be my best bet, and if I go for E6750 would that motherboard be a good overclocker, I'm definitely going to get DDR3 sometime next year.

thanks smile.gif

Edited by matthew1g

user posted image

user posted image

If you already have the Q6600 in your current PC then grab the E6750, to see how it stacks up to the quad-core.

And you're that guy on my xfire...i couldn't figure out who it was. monocle.gif

My xfire name is irnotjoking tounge.gif

anyway, I've read some reviews and the E6750 is just below the Q6600 with around 5-10% less performance. With the E6750 I would have a better motherboard so I can overclock it to around pretty much the same performance.

amirite?

user posted image

user posted image

The E6750 would clock higher than the Q6600, but the Q6600 has four cores, But you could just get the new Mobo with the Quad as well tounge2.gif
New account, Joe.

Doesn't really seem like a quad core would be much faster seeing as a lot of games haven't even been designed to take advantage of that technology. That's just my very limited opinion...

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

Like Sagacious said Quads won't help too much for gaming. But it's sure as hell help for processor intensive programs like 3DS Max. Boy I wish I had a quad to plow through renders like nothing tounge.gif

The difference in speed from an old 3.0GHz P4 to my 2.4Ghz E6600 was more that doubled. I could only imagine what a quad would do... inlove.gif

Another + for the quad core, is that it will be helpful in the future when games ARE made to fully utilize them.

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Doesn't really seem like a quad core would be much faster seeing as a lot of games haven't even been designed to take advantage of that technology. That's just my very limited opinion...

Crysis, Alan wake, and almost every new game is going to use a Quad.

New account, Joe.

Great setup, similar to mine.

Shoulda opted for a different cooler tho, Zalmans are so overrated even tho they perform well. It's crazy to see everyone with the same cooler.

AS long as it works great, why should I opt for a different brand?

user posted image

user posted image

AS long as it works great, why should I opt for a different brand?

Well, if I remember correctly they're a little expensive.

I made a good choice in my case, I guess, because this PC stays damn cool just with a stock heatsink and fan, and it's an AMD... Though I don't now if they carry the same reputation as space heaters as they use to. In any event, I decided to invest a lot into the case, as I want to use it for a while, but the design of this one really does seem to help it stay much cooler than it would.

I don't do a terrible amount of gaming, but the highest I can manage to get my CPU with the stock cooling is 45-50 C, and that's while running GTA:SA and VMWare, plus Mplayer in another xscreen ( imagine two Windows desktop and explorers ). To me it kind of seem slike those beefy coolers aren't really needed, but it could just be my case.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

I did invest on a good case too:

http://www.xclio.com/product/wind_tunnel/w...tunnel_page.htm

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4341/dsc04045bc3.jpg

that's the case seen in the pics I posted above. and no, the two 250mm barely make any noise. that Zalman I have is the third best air cooler to date. I'd rather pay a little extra, but have a piece of mind that I have some good quality stuff in my hands.

To me it kind of seem slike those beefy coolers aren't really needed

however, I intend of using this for heavy gaming, and overclocking. I could opt for liquid, but I'm not that much of an extremist

Edited by matthew1g

user posted image

user posted image

I did invest on a good case too:

http://www.xclio.com/product/wind_tunnel/w...tunnel_page.htm

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4341/dsc04045bc3.jpg

that's the case seen in the pics I posted above. and no, the two 250mm barely make any noise. that Zalman I have is the third best air cooler to date. I'd rather pay a little extra, but have a piece of mind that I have some good quality stuff in my hands.

To me it kind of seem slike those beefy coolers aren't really needed

however, I intend of using this for heavy gaming, and overclocking. I could opt for liquid, but I'm not that much of an extremist

Heh, that case looks pretty nice, but I couldn't imagine LEDs those big. I'm annoyed by your average 80mm LED. One reason why I love this case.

You can always turn them off or slow them down in (which case the leds will go dimmer) by the switches on the front of the case wow.gif

One of the reasons I got that case and the zalman LED version for was to have the same backlighting on everything, since I already have a logitech G11 and a razer diamondback which both have blue LEDS. I wanted that "uniformity" between all components.

Edited by matthew1g

user posted image

user posted image

-sorry about the double post-

anyway, I've been thinking, I'm going to get the 8800GTS-320 in about 3 weeks time. the 88gt is going to come out very soon. is it worth buying just about now?

and are the 88GTX or the HD2900 XT getting a price cut by that time? if so I was thinkin of getting this instead:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/mt/products/pr...?gpid=184&grp=3

the 512mb version. this is saying IF they get a price cut. And let's imagine they do, would it be worth it to choose this over nvidia? you know my motherboard supporting crossfire and all (won't be doing it anytime soon)

user posted image

user posted image

The 2900PRO would be the better buy, but i doubt you could find one anymore. It's pretty much just an under-clocked XT, for cheaper. The 8800's might receive a price-cut, hopefully, they've been holding the same price for a long time now. I would personally get a 8800gt (supposedly faster than current gts, but the gts is supposed to be getting a revision also making it faster once again). I guess you could say it is worth buying now, so that when the next generation of cards come out, hopefully you can hold onto your current card long enough for a pricedrop on the next-gen cards.

Wait a while, the new 8800GTS is coming out soon, it has as many Shaders as the GTX, but less memory, so you could have GTX speeds, and GTS price icon14.gif

Or wait for RV670 to come out, i.e. Wait until January to buy a new Graphics Card, then you'll defiantly know which one is good.

New account, Joe.

I was going to get the 320GTS temporarily, and when the cards get a price cut, sell this and see what's worth buying at the time. I would have saved up something by that time.

user posted image

user posted image

-double post-

actually, sod it, I just ordered me a 512mb 8800GT and I now have some extra $$ to replace the dying PSU in the Pentium 4 PC wow.gif

user posted image

user posted image

According to your flag you aren't in America right? Becuase down here they are sold out EVERYWHERE!! It's insane! I ordered one and it's on backorder (supposed to arrive at their warehouse at the end of the week they say) But golly, did you have any trouble getting yours?

No I'm not from america. I know the shop owner I get my PC parts from, mainly because I buy loads of stuff from him that we actually became friends. We don't have and 8800GTs where we live yet, we should be getting them next week or two. The shop owner told me that he'll reserve one of the 88GTs for me, so I'm all set.

we never get newly released hardware exactly on launch day anyway.

Me thinks the 8800GT could be the Ti4200 of 2007.

user posted image

user posted image

You were asking me earlier on Xfire what fps i get on Crysis with my 7600gt lol.

I get about ~6fps with everything on max at 1440x900 and i get around ~35fps with everything off/low. And ~20fps medium.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.