Component Cable + EDTV

err0rz0n

I still haven't got a HDTV. So I was checking the resolution of my regular TV at PS3 interface, and it says "576i" so is this anyhow better than 480i?

And I looked at the back of my Flat LG TV set and found component inputs that says "Y-Pb-Pr" which, after doing some googling, means my TV is actaully an EDTV (Enhanced-Definition TV). These types of TVs can do 480p when connected to a component cable (see image below):

user posted image

My question is:

If I got a component cable and plugged it into those inputs at the back of my TV, will I get a better image quality than my current one with composite connection (White, Yellow, Red)? And what would be the new resolution? 576p? If it's better, how much better?

And is this cable universal? Meaning, if it's by Sony to be used on PS3, will it work fine on X360 as well?

Your n00b.

yes, the component cables will give you as high a progressive resolution as the tv is capable of.

just because your TV has component inputs doesn't mean its enhanced defintion. it could just allow a progressive SD image at a lower framerate than EDTV.

just to clarify, right now your tv is at 576i, meaning it shows 288 vertical lines every half frame at 50fps. component cables will allow it to do 576p, so show 576 lines ever frame at 25 fps. it should look a little better, but i am not sure how much better on just a regular tv.

i know with HDTV, 720p looks better than 1080i for fast moving stuff. but at only 25fps, i doubt you will see much of an improvement there.

Edited by SIP YEK NOD
user posted image

I have my PS2 connected to my regular SDTV with a component cable and it's very easy to see an improvement.

So my guess is if you bought a component cable, no matter what your TV can display it will still probably look better than if it's hooked up with composite (yellow, red, white).

J4KPE60.gif

Moonshield's less handsome join date brother <3

Composite connection is essentially just the yellow wire. The two other colors are for sound. Yellow with a white or red cable is video plus mono sound and all three is video plus stereo sound, the white being the left speaker and the red being the right speaker (from what I remember). Component cables are three video cables, one being Red Color, one being green and one being blue. This is part of the digital RGB spectrum, combining the three colors to make images.

Wiki

Most component cables also come with a red and white cable as well to transfer sound, however for multichannel setups (surround sound), people use optical, converters or the inputs and outputs on an amplifier or tv.

Edited by Sixdust

thanks, guys. i really appreciate your feedback.

all the 3 replies have answered my doubts. icon14.gif

now, i think i must buy one and use it until i can afford a decent HDTV.

thanks again =)

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.