42 " plasma

jack thompson

jack thompson

all right guys, i finally done did it. i got one, but now i'm not so sure. well, i know that you're not suppose to pause with those tv's. so i was wandering if you bring up the map mode, is it considered a pause? is it gonna screw up my tv?

Same thing. Any image that stays on for a long time may burn in. That doesn't mean you can't pause it or use a map for a few minutes. Just don't leave it like that. If you have to pause it for a while, put the game on pause, and turn off the TV.

Lately, though, screens have been getting better with this. Some of the better screens on the market have almost no burn in. Cheaper ones still do, though, but not nearly as bad as a couple of years ago.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

jack thompson

well i have a cheap one. what about, you know when you have the game on and you don't move for a while and it goes into kind of a preview mode, people and cars are moving. that should not affect it, right, 'cause the picture is not still.

all right guys,  i finally done did it.  i got one,  but now i'm not so sure.  well,  i know that you're not suppose to pause with those tv's.  so i was wandering if you bring up the map mode,  is it considered a pause?  is it gonna screw up my tv?

Yes. Turn off the tv if you need to leave for an excessive amount of time. TV's that stay on a certain channel that has a watermark at the bottom, 'keep it there'. lol.

Edit: This should be moved to General Discussion.

well i have a cheap one. what about, you know when you have the game on and you don't move for a while and it goes into kind of a preview mode, people and cars are moving. that should not affect it, right, 'cause the picture is not still.

Depends. If the camera is moving around, it should be fine. But if the camera is still, buildings and other background objects can still burn in. Best not to take chances. Just turn the TV off. How long will it take you to turn it back on when you get back?

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Moved from GTAIV to Tech & PC Chat since it's a better fit over there (not GTAIV specific).

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma and all my burn in is only temporary. For example when I played Saints Row a lot i got the life energy bar burned in, but after 10 or so hours of other content its gone completly. The burn in was visible only when the picture was completly black and not during motion so it wasnt serious anyway.

Screen burns not the only issue. Turn it off whenever nobody's watching it, seriously. I'd say you'll need a new TV come 2012-2014. 5-7 years outta a plasma if you use it a lot.

From what I've heard, plasma's just aren't worth it. I may be wrong with this one, but I think they also use more electricity than LCD's, and they get much hotter as well. The guy I knew worked at a Best Buy and they had one running for about a week straight and he said it was well over 100 degrees (Fahrenheit).

Now I see this is a problem, I don't think I'd ever get one. I believe it's true that LCD's don't have any burn in, right?

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

Nope lcds do not burn in. Thats why Sony makes them, and not Plasmas.

Plasmas were only useful when lcd screen size was limited.

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.