Smackdown vs Raw 2008 Featuring ECW

Vin.

There has been a lot of speculation about this game, but not a lot has been said. Sure, there's been the E3 videos, and the Wii videos being leaked, etc. But, from what I've seen of the game (videos, pictures, trailors, etc.) the game looks frigging amazing.

Smackdown vs Raw Website.

THQ Website.

One thing that really stands out (and I'm sure it does with others) in the trailor, is there is a clip of Sandman lighting a table on fire. Now, those that can remember back to the old school ECW days will know that back in the day the E in ECW actually meant Extreme. Not like nowadays ECW.

Hopefully the whole "lighting on fire of tables" is actually implented in the game, rather than being say a "Season Mode" clip. But I don't know, even other than that, the game looks awesome.

Another thing about this game, from what I've read about it, is that the entire environment is interactive. Whether it be the stairs when they're set up to walk up, or whether you've picked them up to smash into someones face. You can grapple someone, walk them over to it (e.g. Smackdown vs Raw 2007 announcers table, etc.) and have the ability to use (X-Box 360) the right analogue stick to smash their head into it, or when they're on the ground, have the ability to powerbomb someone right onto the stairs themselves.

As well as this, It's not only stairs that will be interactive, it will also be every single weapon in the game. Chairs, Sledgehammer, Barbie, etc. Also, if you're an "Extreme" fighter, when you bleed, you will actually get more stamina and more chance of having a stronger attack rating.

From the E3 video I saw of 2008, being a high flyer (E.g Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy) you will have even more things to interact with. For example, you can jump onto the ropes, keep yourself steady, and wait for the right time to deliver that perfectly timed moonsault right to the standing opponent.

There is a massive list of superstars in this years roster, including Legend and ECW superstars (old and new) so it shall be interesting to see how this Rostering is impacted by the upcoming draft picks.

As of this date there is 10 days left until the release of Smackdown vs Raw 2008.

I'll keep this edited as information becomes available.

RAW Smackdown ECW Legends
•Shawn Michaels

•MTG

•Umaga

•Bobby Lashley

•Sandman

•John Cena

•Randy Orton

•Snitsky

•King Booker

•Ken Kennedy

Divas

•Melina

•Mickie James

•Candice Michelle

•Rey Mysterio

•Matt Hardy

•Undertaker

•MVP

•Batista

•Chavo Guerrero

•Mark Henry

•The Great Khali

•Gregory Helms

•Chris Masters

•Edge

•Ric Flair

Divas

•Torrie Wilson

•Ashley

•CM Punk

•Marcus Cor Von

•Elijah Burke

Bret Hart

Mick Foley

Rick Rude

Roddy Piper

Sabu

Sgt. Slaughter

Steve Austin

Terry Funk

The Rock

Tommy Dreamer

Update: Only 10 days to go, and THQ have released a playable Demo of SvR2008 on X-Box 360, available for a free download on the X-Box Marketplace.

Update:

Review of Playable Demo

I've downloaded and played the Demo several times, you get to choose out of Four Characters, Bobby Lashley, Undertaker, Randy Orton, and Rey Mysterio. Giving you a choice of some of the different fighting styles, Powerhouse, Technical, Showman, and High Flyer. In one of your choices of matches, Single, or Hardcore Match.

I gave all 4 different fighting styles a go, and they were all impressive. Each category of fighting has It's own pro's and con's.

I also found that their finishing moves have all been upgraded a lot, one that I noticed very closely was Randy Orton's "RKO". It has a lot more detail, and even his face when doing the move, is a lot like what he does in the show.

GFX: I would give the graphics an 8/10. They were definately an improvement of last years, however, you can still see some glitchy GFX at times.

Sound: I would give the sound the usual 6/10. The commentating is still a little dodgy, and It's still the "in between" commentating. It's not wrestler specific, it is move specific.

Gameplay: I would give the gameplay a 9/10 because It's more "hand's on" this time around. Rather than just running to the left, right, or diagonal. This time you control (with the Left Bumper) where you run, as if you were out of the fight.

All in all I would give the Demo an 8/10. I'm looking very forward to the full game coming out in 10 days.

-Vin.

Edited by Vin.

9zkgc.png

Vanilla Shake

Oh I've been following this game since day one. I really hope they improve upon some things from '07.

I'm really looking forward to this.

TC718 / <629 / CF5

NGEh8XV.png

PureFuckingArmageddon

The SmackDown! series have been getting worse and worse since SmackDown! VS RAW.. I hope they can change that now with ECW, but unfortunately, it's not Old-School ECW, it's WWECW.. AND theres no ECW part in the story, that's right, You can't be an ECW wrestler..

Replay value will never be as good as it was in HCTP. At least as far as the story mode goes. Lets hope for some sick gameplay and finally a good online service.

I'm playing Smackdown 1, 2, 4, and Vs. Raw '07 non-stop, and I'm still looking forward to this one. Custom soundtracks on the 360 version sounds great, but I'm wonder if CAW mode will still have the nWo attire, and if CAS mode will still have the nWo trio entrance as an option..

Edited by TheDude5000
user posted image

Replay value will never be as good as it was in HCTP. At least as far as the story mode goes. Lets hope for some sick gameplay and finally a good online service.

Very, very agreed. HCTP was the sh*t! SDVR killed the franchise.

The SmackDown! series have been getting worse and worse since SmackDown! VS RAW.. I hope they can change that now with ECW, but unfortunately, it's not Old-School ECW, it's WWECW.. AND theres no ECW part in the story, that's right, You can't be an ECW wrestler..

*Post Withdrawn

Edited by Vin.

9zkgc.png

• 4 weeks later...

THQ have done a nice little update to the Official SvR2008 Website. Including full Roster, In-Game screen shots, plus more. The game is only 15 days away, and as such, we have been given this little bit of extra information. Including, in-game screen shots of tables/weapons/ring ropes on fire. There is also a download-able, playable game on the 360 marketplace.

Here is a list of currently confirmed superstars for all three brands;

Current Confirmed Smackdown Superstars

•Rey Mysterio

•Matt Hardy

•Undertaker

•MVP

•Batista

•Chavo Guerrero

•Mark Henry

•The Great Khali

•Gregory Helms

•Chris Masters

•Edge

•Ric Flair

Divas

•Torrie Wilson

•Ashley

Current Confirmed RAW Superstars

•Shawn Michaels

•MTG

•Umaga

•Bobby Lashley

•Sandman

•John Cena

•Randy Orton

•Snitsky

•King Booker

•Ken Kennedy

Divas

•Melina

•Mickie James

•Candice Michelle

Current Confirmed ECW Superstars

•CM Punk

•Marcus Cor Von

•Elijah Burke

Extra Confirmed Superstars Not On Roster

•Tommy Dreamer

•Carlito

•Jeff Hardy

Sorry about the bump, but the game is only 15 days from release.

Edited by Vin.

9zkgc.png

Meh played the demo and the game seems exactly the same graphics wise and apart from a few button movements and the camera angle zoomed in a bit it's the same as last years imo.

s0h607k.jpg

Review of Playable Demo

I've downloaded and played the Demo several times, you get to choose out of Four Characters, Bobby Lashley, Undertaker, Randy Orton, and Rey Mysterio. Giving you a choice of some of the different fighting styles, Powerhouse, Technical, Showman, and High Flyer. In one of your choices of matches, Single, or Hardcore Match.

I gave all 4 different fighting styles a go, and they were all impressive. Each category of fighting has It's own pro's and con's.

I also found that their finishing moves have all been upgraded a lot, one that I noticed very closely was Randy Orton's "RKO". It has a lot more detail, and even his face when doing the move, is a lot like what he does in the show.

GFX: I would give the graphics an 8/10. They were definately an improvement of last years, however, you can still see some glitchy GFX at times.

Sound: I would give the sound the usual 6/10. The commentating is still a little dodgy, and It's still the "in between" commentating. It's not wrestler specific, it is move specific.

Gameplay: I would give the gameplay a 9/10 because It's more "hand's on" this time around. Rather than just running to the left, right, or diagonal. This time you control (with the Left Bumper) where you run, as if you were out of the fight.

All in all I would give the Demo an 8/10. I'm looking very forward to the full game coming out in 10 days.

9zkgc.png

Lurk Morrison

Meh, I may eventually pick this up for the Wii.

HCTP sucked so hard. SmackDown! vs. Raw 2006 was the last great title.

2007 had some things right (analog controls) but everything else was beyond broken. 2008 looks like more of the same.

Just been reading of unlockables in the game and this year there are some worthy things to go for -

Belt Unlockable's:

Million Dollar Championship

Hardcore Championship

WWF Attitude Heavyweight Championship

WCW Classic World Championship

Superstars:

Shane Mcmahon

JBL

HHH - DX Attire

HBK - DX Attire

Vince Mcmahon (WM23 Bald)

Video here.

Anyone else go from excited for this game, to completely losing interest in it? I think I'm just gonna stick SVR 07 then.

EDIT: After reading saintdaves posts, I gotta say those are some pretty damn awesome unlockables. Still, overall the game seems to be a bit stale. Not much has really changed on RAW in the past year, other than a notable decline in quality which has thankfully ended recently. Also, the 24/7 mode I'm not too sure about, it doesn't sound all that good. I'll just wait and see how the reviews turn out, but I have a feeling this isn't going to be a huge improvement over last years installment.

Edited by TheDude5000
user posted image

Anyone else go from excited for this game, to completely losing interest in it? I think I'm just gonna stick SVR 07 then.

I did. I will probably rent it, but I am not buying it. I was getting Assassins Creed and SVR08, but now I am getting Kane and Lynch instead. It seems they pull an EA, and barely add anything, besides like one or two new features. It's a shame.

Finally they have the f*cking crowd sitting down. Also, I played the demo. It was pretty fun beating the sh*t out of Bobby Lindsey. tounge.gif

user posted image

unban asmo.

Finally they have the f*cking crowd sitting down. Also, I played the demo. It was pretty fun beating the sh*t out of Bobby Lindsey. tounge.gif

it's lashley sir.

anyways, i'm going to get this on the ps3 along with assassin's creed and kane and lynch.

it's lashley sir.

You didn't hear about that? When Donald Trump was being interviewed about Lashley and that whole storyline, in response to "Who's your wrestler", he said something like "Bobby Lindsey or something".

user posted image

unban asmo.

I still got my ps2..... commercial I saw was not much..... so I watched the game on-demand.... setting tables on fire..... I wish they will bring back the old-school wrestling when u can leave the wrestling ring n go back stage

user posted image

I still got my ps2..... commercial I saw was not much..... so I watched the game on-demand.... setting tables on fire..... I wish they will bring back the old-school wrestling when u can leave the wrestling ring n go back stage

ah, i really missed that feature. That's what made the hardcore matches my favorite back in the day.

now, it's just generic rings with a few backstage areas.

ah, i really missed that feature. That's what made the hardcore matches my favorite back in the day.

now, it's just generic rings with a few backstage areas.

They need to bring that back or at least hardcore matches should be like that...... or a back stage brawl with a fatal four way

user posted image

• 15 years later...
Lock n' Stock
24 minutes ago, Tezdefanta said:

Bumping this of all threads, I'm sorry but are you f*cking serious?

Mind you, the R* of that era would have probs made a decent wrestling game tbf.

Edited by Lock n' Stock