My disk drive thing is a-broken

SaraBella

When I put a disk into my drive, it doesn't do anything. The light goes on when the PC starts up, and it open and closes okay, but it doesn't recognise that I've put a disk into it. I've tried different disks and it still doesn't work so it's just the drive that's broken.

Does it need cleaned or something? Is there anyway to see what's wrong? Help much needed!

Edit : Sorry, I just realised I put this in the wrong place sad.gif

Try cleaning the disk drive, but if that doesn't work you may need a system restore. When I say that I mean restarting your PC from scratch. The same thing happen to me last year around this time, but before you do that call a computer and see what the real reason maybe.

cold fusion 33

Try and buy one of those laser cleaning disks and that ay help icon14.gif

you may need a system restore

That will only help the virtual aspect of things, I think this is a physical problem.

By saying that the disc drive does not do anything, are you saying that you can't view its contents in Windows Explorer (Assuming that you're on Windows), or the autoplay is disabled?

If the discs are not being read, try using a lens cleaner.

If the autoplay is disabled, got to the drive's Properties > Autoplay and then change the settings.

Can you even SEE the disk drive in My Computer..? Cuz I've got two drives, and for the longest time I haven't even been able to use my secondary one. It opens/closes/spins but I can't even see it in My Computer.

Don't know why, there may be a fix, but like I said I have another one so I never really bothered.

Can you even SEE the disk drive in My Computer..? Cuz I've got two drives, and for the longest time I haven't even been able to use my secondary one. It opens/closes/spins but I can't even see it in My Computer.

Don't know why, there may be a fix, but like I said I have another one so I never really bothered.

Check if your BIOS recognizes it. If it doesn't, you might need to adjust the BIOS settings. Otherwise, it is something in the OS.

I have had OS refuse to even acknowledge the existence of an optical drive as an aftermath of an attack. I managed to kill the worm that got into the system, but never managed to fix all the damage it done. Eventually, I just formatted.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Ring_of_Fire

If the BIOS doesn't recognize it, simply means that the IDE cables aren't plugged in.

OK, go and open up the case and make sure the cables for the CD/DVD ROM drive are plugged in properly into the IDE connector on the motherboard.

Now you have to make sure that the disc supports the drive that is trying to read it. Check if the disc logos are the same.

If the BIOS doesn't recognize it, simply means that the IDE cables aren't plugged in.

OK, go and open up the case and make sure the cables for the CD/DVD ROM drive are plugged in properly into the IDE connector on the motherboard.

Now you have to make sure that the disc supports the drive that is trying to read it. Check if the disc logos are the same.

Usually IDE connectors do not just come loose.

Just because the BIOS doesn't see it, doesn't mean its a loose cable, it could just be f*cked up. smile.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.