Next GTA: GTA: Los Santos

gamefarter

I, as many of you, checked out the Midnightclub LA recently. The graphics are awesome! It got me to thinking taht R* now has already mapped out almost all of Los Angeles and have it converted to code, using the RAGE engine. Why would they spend so much time and effort to map out and create a vitual LA cityscape, and only use it for this one game? It seems to me, that if I worked for Take-two, I would be looking to do more with what I already have, and not spend so much time building from scratch. This means taking the Midnightclub LA map, chopping it up a bit to make it a little less realistic in size and layout, and use it to make the next GTA tittle. They have done this same type of thing twice already in making the two GTA "stories" tittles. So, I would not put it past them at all, I actually think that's probably the plan. They could really catch the vibe of the city this time, like they are trying to do with Liberty City.

Mark my words, and remember you read this when they announce the new location of the next GTA

What do you all think?

The Mid. Club: LA trailer is on R*'s website. Check it out if you have't seen it yet

So you would like to play in the same map already featured in another game? icon13.gif

This means taking the Midnightclub LA map, chopping it up a bit to make it a little less realistic in size and layout

You must have skipped over this part of my post. Besides, you can't exit the vehicle in MC: LA

And like I also stated, they made two "stories" games with almost identicle maps, and, yes, I do enjoy playing those games.

sorry buddy, but i agree with 60 cent. and where you say how you would work with what you already have and not start from scratch, well really... your buyers would get bored and pretty fast. i love how gta starts from scratch. i like how gta makes other gtas but it doesn't feel like the previous gta's not many company's can do this..

rampage_ani.gif

I like the idea and think it is very possible. I just don't know how they are going to isolate Los Santos from the rest of San Andreas.

sorry buddy, but i agree with 60 cent. and where you say how you would work with what you already have and not start from scratch, well really... your buyers would get bored and pretty fast. i love how gta starts from scratch. i like how gta makes other gtas but it doesn't feel like the previous gta's not many company's can do this..

rampage_ani.gif

Yeh this is how R* has been doing so good. Other games just build on top of what has already worked. R* takes the risk of building a completely different game and they always prevail.

GTA3Freak-2001
Why would they spend so much time and effort to map out and create a vitual LA cityscape, and only use it for this one game?

Because if the game sells they get money, its really quite simple.

The problem with what you propose is Rockstar have said many times in regards to the maps that they create them for the how the player will use the map and obviously depending on the type of game that changes how a map is designed. Since Midnight Club is a game featuring only racing you have a map not suitable for a game like GTA. Sure you say they can modify it but the work involved would mean it would be less effort to start from scratch. Also remember Rockstar San Diego deal with Midnight Club not Rockstar North or Rockstar New York.

But all other arguments aside, wouldn't it be great to see LA done right on IV engine? I don't think R* will reuse MC LA, but they might just build one from scratch.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Exkabewbikadid

They have done this same type of thing twice already in making the two GTA "stories" tittles.

The two Stories were never supposed to be regarded as entirely new GTAs. They came about primarily as a means to boost PSP sales, and then they were ported to the PS2 six months after each one's release at greatly redused retail prices, 19.99 USD for LCS and 17.99 USD for VCS.

Mark my words, they will never take a map from another Rockstar game and try to pawn it off as a brand new GTA entry. At best, they might have a few references to it. Although, the idea of an LA-based GTA is certainly feasible. In fact, out of the rest of the GTA cities, I'd like to see a bigger and better LS come about, just like they're doing with LC.

oQywcQM.jpg

Shall we play GTA4 first? tounge.gif

The topic starter does have a point about the mapping.

Like Xcomm said and I tend to agree, Now we are having a huge LC, Id like to see a bigger LS.

GTA4's Liberty City looks like its going to be massive, Im never gona be able to find my way around!

x3FWE.png

I think the main problem with this MC:LA pawn off idea is, as stated previously, there would be so much "irrelevant space" or "dead area" to fill up they may as well start from scratch.

rampage_ani.gif

Yeh this is how R* has been doing so good. Other games just build on top of what has already worked. R* takes the risk of building a completely different game and they always prevail.

I know its jumping the gun a bit since we havent even played GTA 4 yet but I agree that R* takes risks and that it pays off. That said I reckon a GTA set in Hong Kong would be a risk, but would totally rock.

If they do this, it will most likely be caled "Los Santos Stories" and will be set a few years before SA (1989 or thereabouts). It's definitely a possibility, but it will just be a spin off, like LCS and VCS.

I know its jumping the gun a bit since we havent even played GTA 4 yet but I agree that R* takes risks and that it pays off. That said I reckon a GTA set in Hong Kong would be a risk, but would totally rock.

If R* does Asia, I think I'd prefer Tokyo. I think it would end up more diverse in all aspects. They would be able to include somewhat varying terrain, put more than one urban center in, and utilize the bullet trains for transportation. They even have GTA: Tokyo already trademarked.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Lets work with what we've got.

We'll just make GTA IV's successor in the remade Liberty City, once again.

Or lets just port GTA3 directly to PS3, X360 and release it.

Gayest thought ever...

your a retard if you think they would rehash their map from another game and make a GTA. That would suck ass not to mention its f*cking Los Angeles not f*cking Los Santos in MC. Midnight club is made by a seperate section of Rockstar having nothing to do at all with GTA. If they made a GTA with even one building taken from mc I would be f*cking pissed...GTA must be true to itself it doesnt need borrowed f*cking ideas.

why do these dumbass retards keep suggesting this bullsh*t especially since they havnt even released their current GTA title yet.

Godamnit ill remember your words...mainly so I can show you how f*cking gay and stupid you are.

Gayest thought ever...

your a retard if you think they would rehash their map from another game and make a GTA. That would suck ass not to mention its f*cking Los Angeles not f*cking Los Santos in MC. Midnight club is made by a seperate section of Rockstar having nothing to do at all with GTA. If they made a GTA with even one building taken from mc I would be f*cking pissed...GTA must be true to itself it doesnt need borrowed f*cking ideas.

why do these dumbass retards keep suggesting this bullsh*t especially since they havnt even released their current GTA title yet.

Godamnit ill remember your words...mainly so I can show you how f*cking gay and stupid you are.

Actually, GTA has been set in the same city, more than once, on plenty of occasions. So stop making smart assed posts, thinking you know it all, when in fact, all you know is fuck-all.

Gayest thought ever...

Gee.

Stupidity doesn't breed "gayness".

Homosexuals are usually the most respectful and gentle people.

Of course, not true for all, but a lot of homosexuals are also intelligent.

From some gay people that I have spoke to, they have been able to hold far more intelligent conversations than straight people. Particularly, they don't refer to anything negative by calling it "gay", "straight", etc.

And haven't you ever seen that movie 'American Beauty'?

If you step outside yourself and look at your negativity towards gays for two minutes, you might learn something amazing about yourself - if not shocking at first.

Come out of the closet, Tony_Montana!

If I owned a games company that was planning to make "GTA IV: Los Santos" and I'd also made San Andreas and Midnight Club LA then I would definitely try to save time and costs by not repeating certain parts of the process.

I would make all the research about LA available to the team working on the new game. All the files, notes, photographs, plans and sketches created during the previous games development would be very beneficial to them. They should also be free to take certain elements like some trees, mail boxes, trash cans, textures from GTA IV itself,and re-use them.

We know that R* do this anyway. Various scenic items have appeared in both GTA & Manhunt before. They aren't simply putting them there as "easter eggs". They are there because there isn't a need to recreate everything from scratch when existing things will work just as well.

However I would not allow my games company to take the setting of one game and simply place another game inside it with a few tweaks here and there. I believe that one of the main advantages that GTA has over games like The Getaway and True Crime is that the location evolves at the same time as the story and the overall game. They don't have to compromise gameplay just to fit within a fixed structure. It's all designed and redesigned simultaneously.

The layout of MC:LC has been very specifically designed to suit that type of game. GTA is much more interactive and allows us to explore more places and do new things. It's probably easier to start fresh than try to adjust another game to suit.

So, while I'll agree that there is a benefit to R* in repeating locations as it means less research is required; I don't think this in any way proves where the next game is likely to be set.

Personally there is a part of me that would enjoy seeing a next generation Los Santos, but I'd rather they gave us somewhere completely new to experience next.

user posted image

In reply to xer0er's last post:

Gay. moto_whistle.gif

(I'm just kidding....)

I would just like to add that Saints Row 2 was announced today, and it seems like the game's setting will just be an extension of the first title in the series. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but perhaps the topic starter should direct predictions such as this towards less profitable sequels.

You could've had a real "mark-my-words" with that one... wink.gif

Edited by Adriaan

xer0er you seem to love homosexuals extremly suspicous sly.gif

Favourite Rap Quote:

"Half animal half man, dumping your dead body inside of a f*ckin' trash can with more holes than an afghan!" Eminem

If R* does Asia, I think I'd prefer Tokyo. I think it would end up more diverse in all aspects. They would be able to include somewhat varying terrain, put more than one urban center in, and utilize the bullet trains for transportation. They even have GTA: Tokyo already trademarked.

I agree, Tokyo is another likely destination if it heads over to Asia. But in terms of what each city has got and how viable each is for setting GTA there, there is little or no difference in the two. Both are unique but not better than the other one. Im just looking forward to playing GTA 4 though for now! lol.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Gayest thought ever...

Congradulations! I found your post to be the most personal and offenssive of the flames in this topic. And so I choose you to be put in your place.

Midnight club is made by a seperate section of Rockstar having nothing to do at all with GTA.

Firstly, although I have no reference for you, that R* North and R* SanDiego are both working on GTA4, I will say that I have read that a few times in this forum, and I am confident that it is accurate.

not to mention its f*cking Los Angeles not f*cking Los Santos in MC.

This was probably best left unmentioned as it makes me think you might be a fool, and did not even bother to read my post.

GTA must be true to itself it doesnt need borrowed f*cking ideas.

This was my favorite. GTA is not an intelligent being capable of being true, or even aware of its self.

FiendJager666

Jesus Christ, GTA 4 hasn't even come out yet and your talking about GTA 5 location. For the love of pete.

Will there be a San Andreas Stories? Maybe, but you can;t fit ALL of San Andreas in a PSP game. So I figure it will be Los Santos Stories and the main character is CJ's little brother who was killed 4 years prior to San Andreas events and why CJ left to Liberty City. CJ even said that he had never been to San Fierro therefore never been to Las Ventures. So it would make senese that the whole game is in Los Santos.

Jesus Christ, GTA 4 hasn't even come out yet and your talking about GTA 5 location. For the love of pete.

Will there be a San Andreas Stories? Maybe, but you can;t fit ALL of San Andreas in a PSP game. So I figure it will be Los Santos Stories and the main character is CJ's little brother who was killed 4 years prior to San Andreas events and why CJ left to Liberty City. CJ even said that he had never been to San Fierro therefore never been to Las Ventures. So it would make senese that the whole game is in Los Santos.

Good observation on your behalf.

I would like to reiderate my original post, which is that my main idea is that the next location for a GTA will be in Los Santos. And even someone who was in dissagreement with my idea, did mention that they would share all of the info that R* San Diego had gathered to make MC:LA. But this is the crux of my point, that why start from scratch when you already have almost all the info you need to start developement of the game right away. So they could put out another GTA in a year and a half instead of the almost 4 years it took to make GTA4. This is the main reason why I think Los Santos will be the next GTA destination.

One other thing to consider is that if they have already digitally replicated a ceratin building, landmark, or a bridge that they plan on using in GTA: Los Santos for MC:LA, why build it from scratch? It is already coded for the RAGE engine, and R* not wanting us to wait 3 more years for the next, same-generation consul, reideration of GTA4 graphics and gameplay. All of these reasons point to R* having a headstart advantage if they do choose to use Los Santos as the backdrop for the next GTA after GTA4: LC. These are reasons enough for me to almost expect it to happen this way. Just don't be surprised if it does.

• 3 months later...
Gayest thought ever...

your a retard if you think they would rehash their map from another game and make a GTA.  That would suck ass not to mention its f*cking Los Angeles not f*cking Los Santos in MC.  Midnight club is made by a seperate section of Rockstar having nothing to do at all with GTA.  If they made a GTA with even one building taken from mc I would be f*cking pissed...GTA must be true to itself it doesnt need borrowed f*cking ideas.

Gee.

Stupidity doesn't breed "gayness".

Homosexuals are usually the most respectful and gentle people.

Of course, not true for all, but a lot of homosexuals are also intelligent.

From some gay people that I have spoke to, they have been able to hold far more intelligent conversations than straight people. Particularly, they don't refer to anything negative by calling it "gay", "straight", etc.

And haven't you ever seen that movie 'American Beauty'?

If you step outside yourself and look at your negativity towards gays for two minutes, you might learn something amazing about yourself - if not shocking at first.

Come out of the closet, Tony_Montana!

lol... tom and jerry are gay too tounge.gif

he can't read this anyway. his brain can't weld an intelligent statement with text.

he could try, and we wouldn't get posts from him anymore due to his head exploding in unprecedented concentration.

@ Topic: they wont use the same map layouts for the "main" GTA titles. we've had the good "main" ones; III, VC, SA.

and then as someone stated above, we got these crappy spin-off's merely to boost psp sales. by witch i mean LCS and VCS, they were the ones that used the same map and chopped it up.

now imagine all the bad press IV would get if everyone noticed it was the same map as MC: LA.. i don't think that would go down too well confused.gif

maybe at the end of th "IV" series we'll see this gimmick return. but not now.

xer0er you seem to love homosexuals extremly suspicous  sly.gif

what i was thinkin. omg hes a f@g. we dont need more homos in the world mad.gif

So you would like to play in the same map already featured in another game? icon13.gif

exactly what i was thinking