Opera browser gif. speed...

Rhoda

I've been a faithful user of Opera now for about a year now, and before that I used Firefox. I never noticed until recently but I paid a visit to my auntie's house and she only has Firefox. I came to the forum and the gif. images are at least twice as fast as they are on my Opera. Is there a setting I can alter on my Opera browser that will allow these moving images to move at their normal speed?

I am also a loyal Opera user, but I've never noticed any problems with gif speed. Which version are you using? I am using 9.5 alpha (Click Here) I don't know of any way to adjust gif speed, but maybe you could try typing "about:config" (without the quotes) in the address bar and looking through the options there.

It seems that everything is faster than it should be on Firefox actually, I've been watching a few avatars (Dills, Kippers, James_Root) and they seem too fast to be a natural speed.

Which version are you using?

Not sure of the name, but I think I'm using the latest one, though I've had this discrepancy with gif. speed before. I'll be sure to update when I get home.

I've read that it's actually Firefox that's displaying the images correctly, and that programs like IE, Windows picture and fax viewer, etc. can't display the images at their actual frame rate.

Normally I'd discount that as "I use Firefox, have big e-penis" type crap, but I'm honestly not sure. I know that Internet Explorer 5 defaulted to 100 millisecond delay, so I guess it's possible that it and others still do.

I'd try viewing the files in a third party program made specifically for making animated gifs and see how they look.

Yeah, I've switched to Firefox from Opera recently and have noticed that sometimes my avatar is going very quickly and sometimes it's going at normal speed. Also noticed it with Kippers one as well.

user posted image

Yeah, I've switched to Firefox from Opera recently and have noticed that sometimes my avatar is going very quickly and sometimes it's going at normal speed. Also noticed it with Kippers one as well.

Yours seems to be different. It seems like most images either play fast or they don't. Your's looks normal when I view it (in Firefox) on this page, but if I select "View Image" it plays fast. mercie_blink.gif

Again, normally I would find the concept of a single browser doing something right, when all others and even built in windows components do it wrong to be a bit farfetched. The thing is, all the gifs I make myself show up correctly, but I don't use frames shorter than 100ms. I mean I've seen the differences in the gif "speeds" (those worn by the three people mentioned for example), but not ALL gifs play faster in Firefox. I also can't think of anything that would make the frames display for a shorter period of time, but only in one browser, and only when they're set at certain speeds.

Also, take a look at the length of the frames, then look at the way it plays. Kipper's av for example. It looks better slower IMO, (meaning in IE and not Firefox) but the frames are 30ms a piece. That means it should be playing rather fast. I think at a rate of a little over 33 frames per second (33.(3) if my math is right), and it only has 24 frames. That would mean proper playback would have it lasting less than a second. Seems like the faster speed seen in Firefox is the "correct" speed for those settings.

If I'm wrong then by all means correct me, I'd be curious to hear any good explanations for this.

Sorry i can't really help either but...

Anyone notice it's not just gif's that play slow in opera? I've played Flashgames in Opera and then in IE and the game plays slow in Opera and normal/faster in IE for some reason. And when i view people's myspace pages that use that horrid image transparency html code i get major scroll-lag in Opera.

Yours seems to be different. It seems like most images either play fast or they don't. Your's looks normal when I view it (in Firefox) on this page, but if I select "View Image" it plays fast. mercie_blink.gif

Well then this is VERY odd, because dills' avatar is super-speed while in the topic, but 'View Image' makes it run slow-mo for me..? mercie_blink.gif

FF 2.0.0.7

edit: Wha? Not anymore, now it's fast motion in the topic and 'view image' notify.gif

edit2: And now it's slow-mo again when 'view image' suicidal.gif

edit3: And of course now it's going slow in-topic and fast when viewing the image solo. bored.gif

Edited by TheRoper

On dills avatar (sorry to pick on you dillsy wink.gif ) it's slower (when I say slower, I mean the normal speed a man could moonwalk) and when I click "Open Image", it doesn't change. I'm really confused now, people are posting all sorts of varying speed and framerates. dontgetit.gif

Whoa, same here.

That's weird, but incredibly fun to watch.

kdr9l4.png

Well mine for some reason loads up fine, but when I click on view image on dill's it goes real fast, however, when I click back and click view image again, it loads up at normal speed. I'm on 2.0.0.7

quick video I just took:

http://media.putfile.com/FF-ava

Edited by matthew1g

user posted image

user posted image

Haha, my avatar is special!

It's really weird, sometimes it plays at a normal speed and then when I view a different topic in which I have posted the avatar is going very quickly. I also get the same thing as you Sweets, where it speeds up when I click 'View Image'. I think we're all in agreement that Carlton looks good at any speed. inlove.gif

I never noticed this when I browsed in Opera, so I guess it only happens in Firefox. Anyone getting it with Kippers' avatar:

user posted image

EDIT: Mine's going at normal speed atm and Kippers' one is going very fast. notify.gif

user posted image

Both of yours are going super-quick fer me... it's mesmerising.

EDIT: Whoo, 10 posts! Milestone topic?

EDIT: Whoo, 10 posts! Milestone topic?

I dare you. wink.gif

Kippers avatar is moving at the speed of a normal hand would skip across a vinyl. whatsthat.gif

Yeah dills, they're both going fast-mo for me... confused.gif

This is kinda lame, now I wanna know what the deal is. I've got animated gifs on my site that I don't want to look different depending on the browser, that's for sure.

Seems like this would be a pretty big issue, I'm gonna look around for some info.

I've been utterly befuddled with all this recently - with Opera, they're permanently slow/normal speed (delete as applicable) whereas Firefox seems to do what it wants, varying speed both on the forums and when I click "View Image". dontgetit.gif

I changed my sig to an animated PNG, how's it working for everybody? It's supposed to fade out, but for some reason, the frames aren't erased... I never was much good at animating, lol and for some reason it turns black in opera sometimes biggrin.gif

If you can't see animated pngs, download opera 9.5 post-alpha from this page, or Firefox Gran Paradiso Alpha 8 from here

If you want to make animated pngs, you can use Gif Movie Gear

Edited by Loman

Aye, I just found out about APNGs while trying to find the answer to this topic question on Moz Forums. Couldn't find it; the only relevant thread contained like 4 posts and the person was blaming the graphics program that made the file. Another person, though, mentioned that FF plays them correctly, whereas IE (and I guess Opera) have a minimum framerate speed. If the GIF is faster than that, it automatically defaults it to a preset slower speed.

But I don't know how much I agree with that, as I've experienced different results in FF with the same exact image...

I also posted this question at CodingForums.com and only received one reply in the past 3 days, which simply suggested searching Moz Forums, haha.

I'm bummed, want to find a fix, but what the hell... no one knows..? Seems ridiculous, and I'll probably start a new thread in Moz Forums, that one was from a while ago.

@Gran Paradiso: Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Too bad it's a separate app (for now), animated alpha trans. images have a lot of potential. icon14.gif

It's a bummer, especially now both FF and IE can't make up their minds. whatsthat.gif

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.