GTA3 PS2 Map Editing?

lambo128

it seriously difficult, you need to get a mod chip (or something like that anyway), i would say dont bother trying, and get the pc version biggrin.gif

user posted image

Will it work if I can edit the files on the dvd and play it on PS2?

No, ps2 dvd's are read-only. You cannot save directly back to them. The process of making the game moddable on the ps2 is long, and not recommended for anyone who hasn't done it, or is easily confused.

Yes, if your ps2 was set up correctly, and everything went perfectly, you could mod the ipl data. but it's more effort than it's worth.

it seriously difficult, you need to get a mod chip (or something like that anyway), i would say dont bother trying, and get the pc version biggrin.gif

I have both versions, but I want to mod the ps2 version because I feel more confortable sitting on my bed, picking up the controller, and simply play the game.

Thanks for the advice guys.

So in a way it is possible to mod the PS2 GTA:SA you just need a Mod Chip to do it.

What if you edit some of the IPLs from SA PC and put them on the SA PS2 files replacing the PS2 IPLs and then just reburn the new SA PS2 files into a new DVD rom would it still work?

Knowledge Novice

So in a way it is possible to mod the PS2 GTA:SA you just need a Mod Chip to do it.

What if you edit some of the IPLs from SA PC and put them on the SA PS2 files replacing the PS2 IPLs and then just reburn the new SA PS2 files into a new DVD rom would it still work?

It takes a bit more than just a mod chip. Here's a link to the topic on >JunkYardModding<

>Installing Mods On PS2!<

But, as DexX suggests above, it's not a small task. Later. rampage_ani.gif

I hate to be a party pooper.

I have often had questions about modding on consoles and it's not that easy as you might think, but this can be done, just like on the PC but with some exceptions to how the game is loaded into the buffer.

Take VC for example, Nodel limits.

1; Streaming memory is 32Megs, where on the PC this is set to 45Megs or more with the help of limit adjusters.

Bigger maps will lag and start to load slow, mods like SOL are impossible for now.

2; IDE limit on the PS2 is 3800, where on the PC this is 3885.

There isn't a lot of wiggle room here, new objects can be added and I would say 9 new max because of the streaming restrictions as they stand, Or your able to hack the PS2 binary boot loader.

If is possible to change the dffs, as long as the original materials are assigned to them, this way you don't need to add new TXD's.

3; ID limit is 6450, PC this is 6500

4; TXD limit is unknown, but I this alone can be a problem as there isn't many tools that can support the PS2 TXD tex format, Maybe Steve M's RWA??

5; 2DFX/Timed Objects (TOBJ) remains the same, but there are some miner changes to the PATHS, The PS2 VC version can support GTA3 Paths in the IDE files.

6; Pointer Nodes (PTR) = 12000 ? why, on the PC version this is 50000

I guess bandwidth and streaming allocation might be a factor.

7; Entry info node, this is set to 3200, and the COL is 4300 where on the PC this is 4400.

8; Animation pointers are set to 450, where on the PC this is set as 460.

9; What can be added to the GTA_VC.DAT/GTA3.DAT because there is a limit, that doesn't exist on the PC (Except the SA version where these have been left in.

Moving on.

IPL files can be changed (The Cords Only, X Y and Z), files names don't really need to be in there, taking them out would save space, but I wouldn't mess to much with the IDE files.

IDE files, You can change the draw distance only with positive results.

I will point out that I have modded the PS2 versions of LC to SA, but since it's legal to distribute console versions of modded games burnt onto DVD-ROM(s).

Sadly, I can't tell you how to do this with out the need of a mod chip, and this forum isn't the place to post this because this falls into the area of warez, and every title on the PS2 is licensed under SCEE, (Sony), So enough said there.

Running burnt software you own (a backup) on a console isn't legal however the use of a mod chip is in the UK.

Knowing the law here, I have been considering weather I should do a SOL version for the PS2, but the likely hood of doing this will never happen.

Edited by X-Seti

• 3 months later...

SO COULD I MOD THA GAME & PLAY IT FROM A BURNT DVD ROM??? & HOW DO I DO IT B/C I'M A NEWBIE & I NEED 2 KNO THESE THINGS.... confused.gif

SO COULD I MOD THA GAME & PLAY IT FROM A BURNT DVD ROM??? & HOW DO I DO IT B/C I'M A NEWBIE & I NEED 2 KNO THESE THINGS.... confused.gif

You just dont. You'll need to go to a PS2 community, this is a PC GTAModding community.

LUCK FOR A BUCK!!!!! f*ck Yea!

GTAF's Most Annoying Unbanned Member.

user posted image

bai. -jllr

• 2 years later...