Windows patching without user notice

Wolf68k

Microsoft pushed series of updates to XP and Vista without users knowing about it.

Even if you have Automatic Update turned off there was 9 files patched on XP and 9 on Vista.

With one of the updates, if it's not installed then Windows Update will no longer look for updates. It's almost like 'damned if you do and damned if you don't.'

You can read more about it here: http://windowssecrets.com/2007/09/13/01-Mi...t-users-consent

It updates windows updates files.

Just incase you decide to choose to let Microsoft kill your computer you can do so in the most up to date fashion.

The way it's done is like a big advert for Hackers on how to 'Hack Windows for Dummies'

If Microsoft can stealthly replace system files without any notice from either a Firewall or Antivirus in place or even giving you notice about it, then it's case of Hackers of the world Unite, surely.

wZVJHXg.png

This is getting ridiculous.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Fozzy Fozborne

And... what else can MS do without our consent? Check our browser history? Maybe patrol our download/bittorrent traffic behind our backs? That was a stupid move on MS's part to no simply let the user decide whether or not to update. By doing that, they've revealed that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want to our PC's without us knowing it and without consent. I hope the same thing happens to MS that is happening to American car companies. The car companies churned out terrible car after terrible car and now they're living with the consequences (no profit nervous.gif). Maybe a Japanese company will come out with a DECENT OS that works with what we want it to. (Read: being compatible with software and hardware out now without having to buy specialty hardware.)

Alright, that's enough ranting for one sitting. sarcasm.gif

I got no problem with Microsoft updating files automatically, knowing that if they were to do anything against my interests there are some people out there who have dedicated their lives to look for such things so that they can sue Microsoft.

user posted image

user posted image

So how long until some hackers pick up on this, investigate, and figure out how to use the same back-door to load up your computer with malware? Oh, that's assuming Microsoft isn't doing this already.

Does this effect all version of Windows? I haven't updated since Service Pack 2, and there's no signs of updates on the Windows systems I use.

Maybe a Japanese company will come out with a DECENT OS that works with what we want it to. (Read: being compatible with software and hardware out now without having to buy specialty hardware.)

Funny you should bring that up, I was reading about an OS that's being developed in Japan. To be honest I can't remember if it was its own OS or just a different flavor of something already around. Thought it was just an odd coincidence...

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.