Firefox

Banana

My aunt has mozilla firefox and windows internet explorer and i was wondering, which ones better?? I know alot of people like firefox but whats so good about it? confused.gif

Well for one, Firefox is faster at rendering. Firefox is also somewhat more secure, as it does not tie the operating system with itself as IE does. Firefox is also a lot more standards compatible. And more importantly, it is cross-platform, which makes designing websites towards that browser a lot more desirable, and also because it support standards, while IE is still lacking in that area.

Firefox is open-source. Hence you have a lot of extensions (plugins), themes, search plugins and what not available, which enhance your browsing experience.

Whereas IE is Microsoft's property, and you have to wait for those guys to program everything. You can't personalize it much.

Learn more about Firefox here.

Edited by VCHolmes

Fozzy Fozborne

For me, it's because you can easily tune your FireFox to be the fastest web browser I've ever seen. (Simply search for "speeding up firefox" then search for a free program called "Firetune". Those will make FF incredibly fast.

For me, it's because you can easily tune your FireFox to be the fastest web browser I've ever seen. (Simply search for "speeding up firefox" then search for a free program called "Firetune". Those will make FF incredibly fast.

Sweet Jebus, you weren't kidding. I knew of the manual tweaks, but I just installed/configured Firetune, and everything's like 3 times faster. wow.gif

Thanks for that Fozzy! icon14.gif

Fozzy Fozborne

Anytime, and for a little more pep, try Google Web Accelerator (also free). That will route your requests through the google servers instead of the websites' servers for better performance.

Also, if you know any more tweaks, post 'em. I'd love to make it even faster.

Edited by Fozzy Fozborne

Is than an extension or a separate application? If the latter, linux?

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

I like firefox because it looks a lot better then IE and I've been told it's 'safer' then IE as well. Plus since installing it ages ago I've never had any problems with it.

And @Fozzy Fozborne: Thank's for that firefox programme that makes it run faster, thought it wouldn't make much difference but it sure as hell does!

Fozzy Fozborne

Firetune is a downloaded program that runs once and changes the settings for FF. After that, it doesn't do anything.

It's Windows 98 and above only. confused.gif They are not planning a Linux version as far as I know.

@everyone enjoying FireTune... it really is amazing just how much faster it is, even over manual tweaks.

Oh, and FireTune will perform all the manual tweaks for you, so you don't even need to bother to manually tweak it, anymore.

As with ALL tweaks to FireFox, (including manual ones), when you update Firefox, the settings are reset to their normal values. The good news is that faster performance is only 1 click away.

Edited by Fozzy Fozborne

I use FF because I can run it with JS disabled.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

I use FF because I can run it with JS disabled.

You can't disable JS in IE? mercie_blink.gif

If you have the web-developer toolbar in FF (which you probably do) it's real easy to disable JS. Great for testing to make sure your site degrades gracefully. smile.gif

I have not been able to find an option that lets you disable JS in IE. There might be one somewhere, but if I can't get to it easily, it isn't worth it. So I just run FF with no JS for most sites, and if I really need JS, I either enable it, or open the site with IE.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Firetune is a downloaded program that runs once and changes the settings for FF. After that, it doesn't do anything.

Thanks Fozzy, just been messing around with it, makes a big difference. Thanks mate.

Ive always been a fan of FF, I remember getting it from Wolfs sig ages ago, and always used it.

IE is horrible.

x3FWE.png

For me, it's because you can easily tune your FireFox to be the fastest web browser I've ever seen.  (Simply search for "speeding up firefox" then search for a free program called "Firetune". Those will make FF incredibly fast.

Sweet Jebus, you weren't kidding. I knew of the manual tweaks, but I just installed/configured Firetune, and everything's like 3 times faster. wow.gif

Thanks for that Fozzy! icon14.gif

I searched Google for Firetune, and I found this: http://www.populartechnology.net/2005/11/f...y-includes.html

Seems that they're rendering the entire application useless based on just one of the methods it uses to speed up FF, though?

Fozzy Fozborne

You didn't read the whole page. "Update December 13, 2005 - Success!

Firetune v1.0.9 removes the useless /prefetch:1 shortcut tweak."

All they're blabbering on about is the fact that the older version of FireTune included a tweak that supposedly made it have a faster startup time. I'm not talking about startup time. I'm saying (and other people are backing me up on this) that the time it takes to go from one page to another is greatly reduced, almost instantaneous.

M. H. Hunter III
i use firefox because it has the built in spell check. smile.gif

yeah.....bad spellerz united.

anyways, i tried that damned tweak (firetune) program, i thought i didn't make a hell a of a difference here for me.

it just ate space on my hdd so i already got rid of it.

but hey, maybe its just me confused.gif

La famiglia è tutto

The strength of a family,
like the strength of an army is in its loyalty to each other.
~ Mario Puzo ~

I've been using safari because it seems faster to me under OS X. That and I was never really into the whole extension scene (although adblock is missed), but for windows firefox is where it's at.

anyways, i tried that damned tweak (firetune) program, i thought i didn't make a hell a of a difference here for me.

user posted image

That is a terrible amount of space. tounge.gif

M. H. Hunter III

user posted image

That is a terrible amount of space. tounge.gif

with tweak program , i thought it took a boatload more space up sad.gif

La famiglia è tutto

The strength of a family,
like the strength of an army is in its loyalty to each other.
~ Mario Puzo ~

For me, it's because you can easily tune your FireFox to be the fastest web browser I've ever seen.  (Simply search for "speeding up firefox" then search for a free program called "Firetune". Those will make FF incredibly fast.

Crap! It's so much faster! Thanks man!

I found something before to speed up FF, but it was some crappy thing that you just changed requests sent to a page to like 30, so it would load it faster, which didn't work really. I think it just put more strain on the servers I was accessing.

edit:

And I also agree with everyone else. Plugins/add-ons are great. Spell check I love, but sadly it's made me retarded as I expect things I write down in other programs or even by hand to be auto corrected (it's two thousand and f*cking seven, it should by now damn it) lol.gif

IE... just sucks confused.gif

It's riddled with Windows/MS sh*t, and it's an ugly, outdated interface. The addition of tabs was nice. I found it funny how a guy at school said "Aww man, they added this thing called tabs, it's awesome!"

die.gif

Edited by Picolini

Picolini is now Pico

user posted image

and i also agree with everyone else. Plugins/add-ons are great. Spell check I love, but sadly it's made me retarded as I expect things I write down in other programs or even by hand to be auto corrected (it's two thousand and f*cking seven, it should by now damn it) lol.gif

:

You figure with all the features that vista stole from os x, systemwide spellcheck would have been one of them.

and if I really need JS, I either enable it, or open the site with IE.

If you use the NoScript extension, you can disable JS, but also build up a white-list of sites which are allowed to run it so there's no need to mess about with enabling it each time smile.gif

why not just hack and edit FF's config files:

Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1299854/posts

worked fine for me

user posted image

user posted image

Fozzy Fozborne

Because Firetune makes it 2-3x faster than even manually tuning it. Plus, it takes less time (one button versus editing everything...).

Like said above. Thanks Fozzy!

Its Awesome.

On topic- I would recommend Firefox to anyone.I can't stand IE after using Firefox

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.